Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50

M50 Stebel Air Horn Installation - How to.

Well, I just finished installing the Stebel Air Horn on the M50, & I took a few pictures that might help you out. Thanks to all those who posted instructions before me, I found them extremely helpful, however very little pics. I also recommend using the instructions that come with the horn itself. Here is what I did:

Horn Installation

1.- Make sure your tank is pretty much empty, you do not want to have to move a full tank of gas.

1.2.- I fabricated a bracket out of a 4" piece of alluminum, drilling a few 8mm holes. These come in helpful if you do not want to do much measuring when installing the horn itself.

1.3.- Remove your PAIR valve cover, we will use one of the existing screws to mount the horn.

1.4.- Remove this long screw & install the bracket here. Tighten the screw, & place the PAIR valve cover back on loosely. You will need to check for fit, so the horn does not rub up against the cover. With the cover on, test to see which hole on the bracket you will need to mount the horn on.

1.5.- Here is the horn in place. IMPORTANT: Make sure you mark or remember which is your hot & ground on the horn! You do not want to be looking under it upside down later. I opted for removing the horn to take a look when I was ready to wire it up.

Wiring

2.- Remove Both seats & loosen gas tank. You might be able to get away without moving the gas tank, I just did it to keep a clean installation when running the wires along the frame.

2.1.- Remove the neck cover on the left side of the bike. It should come of pretty easily with a tug out & up. Here you will unplug the old horn, no need to remove it at all or cut any wires, you can use the existing connector using a couple of male spade connectors.

2.2.- Run your wires along the frame, I used zip ties to thread it along where other wires or tubes are. This I leave at your discretion, depending on the length of your wires, and how clean of a job you want to do.

2.3.- You can pretty much drop in the relay in the FL corner of the battery, leaving all your connections readily available. It is tight enough where it will not move. You are now ready to make your electrical connections. Here I will leave you with the supplied instructions, as I have reached the limit on pics I can post, & they are self explanatory as to what goes where.

2.4.- Another important note: Test the horn before putting the bike back together!!

2.5.- THIS THING IS EXTREMELY LOUD ! !

If you have any questions or want to see a few more pics, let me know.
    • HellCat Windshield, Ram Camera Mount, Kuryakyn Iso-Grips, Stebel Air Horn, Kuryakyn Ellipse Mirrors, Kuryakyn Dually pegs, Blue LED kit, Integrated tail light, side-mounted license plate, Mustang Seat, Cobra sissybar and backrest.
    --------------
    My other hobby is IDPA
    www.idpa.com

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    05 M50 and 03 Lightning
    great write-up.

but who uses the horn?
    ...a chicken...I'd slap a chicken...

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Great job.

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    06 M50
    good job--but where is the finished pic?

I was looking at a similar horn in chrome--I think it's made by wolo,do you think it would fit behind the radiator?

06 M50 W/Thunder intake,Cobra Fi2000,& Cobra street rod slashdowns.

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by mflueras View Post
    great write-up.

but who uses the horn?
    After hearing this thing, I'll be using it a lot!
    • HellCat Windshield, Ram Camera Mount, Kuryakyn Iso-Grips, Stebel Air Horn, Kuryakyn Ellipse Mirrors, Kuryakyn Dually pegs, Blue LED kit, Integrated tail light, side-mounted license plate, Mustang Seat, Cobra sissybar and backrest.
    --------------
    My other hobby is IDPA
    www.idpa.com

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFriend View Post
    good job--but where is the finished pic?

I was looking at a similar horn in chrome--I think it's made by wolo,do you think it would fit behind the radiator?
    Only 6 pics per post...here is the finished pic...I'll take one of the whole bike tomorrow to get a better perspective. These Stebel Horns are too big to fit behind the radiator. Not sure about the Wolo, but they look the same size...maybe if you took them apart you might be able to fit the horn part behind the radiator, and then use a rubber tube or hose out to the compressor installed somewhere else.

--------------
    My other hobby is IDPA
    www.idpa.com

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    was Suzuki M50 - Now M109
    I got me one of those, and they are great in traffic.
    You don't need to use them often, but when you do, they better be loud enough to make someone notice you!

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    06 M50
    Yeah it does look just like the wolo, how much was it--the wolo is like 39 bucks.

If you can seperate the horn and compressor that would work great, you think the compressor would fit behind the right side cover where that half round bracket is?

06 M50 W/Thunder intake,Cobra Fi2000,& Cobra street rod slashdowns.

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50
    I paid $39.95 + $11.00 shipping with amazon.
    --------------
    My other hobby is IDPA
    www.idpa.com

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50
    Last edited by pastorgumby; 01-30-2009 at 08:43 PM.
    "Faith is a journey... not a guilt trip!"
    *2007 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Blk. & Slvr M-50
    Excellent job, I have been looking at getting a new horn. Thanks

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    Boulevard C109
    Excellent info!!
    I am looking at getting a new Stebel horn but know nothing about wiring, power supply etc. I have seen 12V OR 24V horns. What is the difference and what can go on a C109?

Thanks all
    Hoodathunkut
    Boulevard C109
    What a BEAST!

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodathunkut View Post
    Excellent info!!
    I am looking at getting a new Stebel horn but know nothing about wiring, power supply etc. I have seen 12V OR 24V horns. What is the difference and what can go on a C109?

Thanks all
    Hoodathunkut
    Hi. I'm guessing (not 100%) that you'd get a 12v- to match your bike's battery power. You don't need to know anything about wiring, it's very simple (even i did it).

You need to find a perfect spot to mount the horn. It is NOT small - and it's pretty hefty. You'll probably have to make something to mount it on (as picture above).
    BTW, Stebel & Wolo are made by the same comp- diff name badge that's all, go w/ the cheapest one.

I also bought heat shrink tubes to keep all the wires together and protected (that was the most time consuming part), you'll also need a hair dryer or heat gun;
    20 watt fuse holder and fuse; 16 gauge wire; terminal ends to crimp onto the wires and corresponding male/female ends, and 1 loop connector to screw directly onto the + battery. Good luck!
    "Faith is a journey... not a guilt trip!"
    *2007 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    06 M50
    Is there another spot to place this? I honestly don't like seeing this on the side of the bike. I guess it wouldn't fit behind the radiator? Or behind the front light?

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2006 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin2000 View Post
    Is there another spot to place this? I honestly don't like seeing this on the side of the bike. I guess it wouldn't fit behind the radiator? Or behind the front light?

If you separate the compressor from the horn, you can mount it under the right side cover if you don't have a Cali model.
    2006 M50 Streetrod Slashdowns, Thunder Tornado, Cobra fi2000, John's Kit forwards, 32" Drag Bars with riser spacers, Widow Pegs, ISO Grips, other misc. mods

Ads