Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlackM50 View Post
    now how well will it stay inside the muffler with just the spring action as your stop? Would you do it if your pipes were only debaffle not demickey.
    Mine stay in just fine. I had them in for about two weeks and now about 135 miles. I've measured a couple of times after rides from the end of the fibrosleeve to the end of the tail pipe and I haven't noticed and movement at all. I took mine out to take pics for the tutorial and then put my original ones back in. So I haven't had any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by old new biker View Post
    Question 1) It may be hard to do but can you describe where the new sound lies, using the fully factory baffled M50 and the average Harley, as the extreme limits?
    Well, it sounds more like a harley now that it did with just debaffle and demickey. An M50 will never have the same "potato, potato. potato" sound as a harley due to engine design. But it sounds much better, like it's got a bigger motor. Prior to the install, when I'd rev up the bike inside of the garage, it would make me cringe just a bit. It's not really because of the loudness, but because it was kind of a noisy loud. There was this kind of hollow, metally noise mixed in with the lower growl, kind of like a lawn mower and a harley parked next to each other with both running. That's what made me cringe a little bit. But the fibrosleeve seems to absorb the high frequencies and the natural resonance of the exhaust pipe and now I pretty much hear just the growl part. It decreases the volume just a smidge. If you have debaffled and demickey'd and want to go back to the volume of the completely stock pipe, then this will not be the answer. It's almost as loud as before but a much better loud.

And I got your PM. I'll be going by the post office Monday to send them.

Question 2) I can not even see where the original baffle was. Did you grind out the rough edge, and if so, how did you do it?
    I did the standard debaffle with the double hole saws. There's a great tutorial here: De-baffle this!

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50 Blue with C50 Rear Fender
    Quote Originally Posted by diamond_jim View Post
    I did the standard debaffle with the double hole saws. There's a great tutorial here: De-baffle this!
    Thanks for the link DJ,

I have seen that video several times, and am very familiar with it. My question is regarding the leftover burr all around where the end plate used to be. He does not talk about that in his video.

Your pipes look perfectly smooth and I am wondering exactly how you cleaned up the left over circumferential burr?

I know of several ways, but am just curious how you did it?

Thanks again DJ
    06 M50 Bluuu Bluuu Bluuu
    DJ DRIVE - C90 Rear End Swap (14% lower RPM's)
    MEMPHIS SHADES - Big Shot Wind Screen
    PILOT NV-501W - Driving Lights on Custom Bar
    STEBEL - Air Horn
    JOHN'S KITS - Forward Controls
    MUSTANG WIDE TOUR - Driver and Pillion Seat Combo
    BESTEM - Passenger Backrest and Luggage Rack
    CYCLE-ISTIC - Passenger Peg Extenders
    RIVER ROAD XL - Studded Slant Bags (Reinforced & Lockable)
    RIVER ROAD XL-SLANTS / EASY BRACKET - Saddle Bag & Supports
    C50 RAEAR FENDER - Fender and Lighting Swap

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Actually, I didn't do a single thing to clean them up. I just drilled them out with a hole saw just like in the video. I used new, good quality hole saws. But seriously, what you see is what the saws did. The saws, when set up just like in the video, fit snug enough to keep it from moving around by just loose enough to allow it to spin. It really is an ingenious technique.

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    I did some experimenting on the fibrosleeves today. I pulled them out, did some cruising around town and then put them back in and cruised around town some more. Then got on some open roads and ran her a littler hard. I then took out the fibrosleeves and and ran the open roads again. I'd say the fibrosleeves quiet the debaffled/demickey'd exhaust buy about 25-30% during the points were open pipes are the loudest- WOT, running at steady highway speed and on deceleration from a higher RPM range. The volume at idle sounds about the same. From idle to redline, though, they sound deeper and much better.
    Last edited by diamond_jim; 04-20-2008 at 10:04 PM.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    07 M50 Limited
    You've got me seriously thinking about it. Basically, what you've done is stuff the insides of an old Cherry Bomb into the stock M muffler. Love it. I think you're probably going to have to repack every year or two, so don't give away all your leftover mesh. I suspect it will start to rust/corrode after a year of temperature extremes in the pipe. But it's so cheap, who cares?

Oh, and I love how you're sticking with your name -- the fibrosleeve. Gotta catch on sooner or later, right?

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    PM sent for a pair of the precut pcs.
    Roger, I dropped the package off at the post office about an hour ago. I included some quick instructions in there about which way to roll it. You'll want to roll them lengthwise. You'll understand when you see them.

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    This is the fiberglass that I'm using:

Power Parts Plus | Moose Fiberglass Muffler Packing

Moose Fiberglass Muffler Packing
    + Repack blown-out silencers for quieter running and more power
    + Long filament fiberglass made especially for muffler packing
    + Measures 11 x 16, more than enough to repack virtually any 2-stroke silencer
    + Made in the USA
    MUFFLR PACKNG 11X16"(747)
    Item: M701 Usually Ships In:
    3-5 Business Days
    Our Price: $6.95

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diamond_jim View Post
    Roger, I dropped the package off at the post office about an hour ago. I included some quick instructions in there about which way to roll it. You'll want to roll them lengthwise. You'll understand when you see them.
    I saw this yesterday but neglected to respond.
    Thanks DJ
    06 M50 Bluuu Bluuu Bluuu
    STEBEL - Air Horn

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    06 M50 in Bluuuuuuuuue
    you know, oldie...I have a spare set of stock pipes if you decide you don't want to debaffle your own. Short drive, cheap price.
    06 Blue M50 - Loved it for 20k, but its time for something new, something 2.25 times bigger

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Mean Streak
    That's what I used to wrap my Cobra Streetrod baffles, much deeper sound and not as loud. I recommed doing this to anyone who wants a deeper sound.
    THE SENILITY PRAYER :
    Grant me the senility to forget the people
    I never liked anyway,
    The good fortune to run into the ones I do, and
    The eyesight to tell the difference.

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalbroccoli View Post
    you know, oldie...I have a spare set of stock pipes if you decide you don't want to debaffle your own. Short drive, cheap price.
    Digi

Have your stock pipes been debaffled or are they still factory?
    I already have 8ea. 1/2" holes in mine and might as well debaffle those if yours are still factory.

Either way, PM me with a price.

I am planning to debaffle, one way or the other, and add the fibro sleeve as soon as I get the inspection done in a week or 2. Heck I may even demickey. One step at a time, however

Either way, pm me with a price.
    Last edited by old new biker; 05-09-2008 at 01:21 PM.
    06 M50 Bluuu Bluuu Bluuu
    STEBEL - Air Horn

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard C-50
    Hey Mr. Jim.

Looks like I'm going to do the modification. I have a C-50 (that's me on my bike).

Is your method still a viable option for this bike?

I bought the stuff to do it and it only cost $61!

Could you look at the pics I have, and see if I have the right items.... especially the Fiber Mat. I got it all at Home Depot, but not too sure if the mat material is the right kind. If it's not I'll find the right stuff.

What's demickey? And is it necessary to do before adding the sleeve?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Ernie.

Series pics here - Fibrosleeve - a set on Flickr

(Fiberglass mat, front)

(Fiberglass mat, back)

Last edited by CajunCountry; 06-17-2008 at 03:39 PM.

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Cool, Cajun. Looks like you've got all the right stuff. The only thing different than I used is the fiberglass. The fiberglass that you have looks like it will probably work good though. From the pic it looks like a sheet that is folded and then folded again. It's hard to tell how thick it is because it's compressed. I'd recopmmend opening it up, unfolding it and letting it expand overnight.

It also looks like you're handy with the camera and making good posts with pics. If you can, take pictures as you go along and keep us updated. If you have a way to record sound, record before and after.

Roll the wire mesh so that the points of the diamond-shapes in the wire pointed in line with the ends of the muffler (front and rear).

Good luck.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 07' Limited
    I've seen a lot of posts on drilling some holes in the end of the pipes for improved sound, and I am really itchin to do it. All the posts I have seen have people drilling holes around around the inner pipe. I have a friend that has an m109 and he drilled holes into a plate that's about 10" into the inside of the inner pipe (he used a really long drill bit) and it sounds great. Not much louder but a deeper, more throaty sound.
    Anyone done that on the m50? I looked inside the pipe and the only plate I could see seemed like more than 10" in. I don't think I have the cajones right now to de-baffle and it's my first bike. I'm just afraid to screw something up and any ideas would be helpful.
    Thanks.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard C-50
    So I took off the exhaust/header plate.... I'm pretty pleased with the result.

If I pull the baffles will it sound the same only louder? Or is it going to be a different sound altogether and louder?

Just wondering.

Ads