Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    If you look down into the pipe, you'll see the plate that the baffle is attached to. That is the mickey plate. In the mickey plate there are three holes. One is the opening to the baffle and the other two are outside of the baffle and visible when looking down the pipe. Currently, two thirds of your exhaust is already coming straight out through those two visible holes and nothing is really quieting the sound there. The baffle works when it is enclosed in another tube. Well it's no longer enclosed in a tube and therefore no longer very effective at quieting the sound. So, what you have is essentially the same sound you'll have if you remove the baffles.

Many of us have debaffled and demickey'd. Some have then added 6" fibrosleeves. Some of use have removed the third plate and a few have installed full length fibrosleeves. This last setup will give you a unique, deep, growly sound that I have yet to hear with any other pipes on any other motorcycle, period.

Since the mason's wire mesh and the fiberlgass doesn't cost much, I recommend you do a six in fribrosleeve first. It may be perfect for you. Taking out the mickey plate and the third plate is a little harder work but not much. If you find yourself itching for a deeper sound later, take out the mickey and the third plate and fibrosleeve the whole thing. The stock pipes diameter and length make it ideal for a deeper sound but you're using only half of that length when you only debaffle plus it has a little bit of a puff, puff sound as the exhaust pushed through those three holes. Listen to what it sounds like when just debaffled. When you take out the other two plates and do a full length fibrosleeve, it's not as loud as just debaffle with no fibrosleeve. The fibrosleeve capture the higher frequency sounds. Combine that with free flowing (no puff puff) and you're using the whole length of the pipe.

BTW, sweet bike.
    Last edited by diamond_jim; 06-20-2008 at 08:15 AM.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    Boulevard M50
    Cajun, You don't need to demicky to do the fibrosleeve too. Some guys have just removed the baffles and then fibrosleeved that section. If you want to demicky, after you remove the baffles, like DJ said above, you will see a plate with 3 holes slightly resembling Mickey Mouse (hence the name). You'll need a long pipe and a sledge hammer. run the pipe down the exhaust and whack away! Eventually you'll break the welds and the plate will be loose for you to take out. I believe there is yet another plate behind that (please correct me if I'm wrong) and if you remove that its basically like having straight pipes. DJ's wonderful fibrosleeve will work in all of those setups, the only difference is the length of the sleeve that you have to make. Good luck, and post pics as you go along!

'05 M50 black
    MAPAM backrest
    Corbin dual tour
    Highwayman Jumbo Straight Bags
    Johns Kit forward controls
    Debaffled exhaust

Third gear and cruising
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Black C50, 2006 Silver M50, 2003 Victory Vegas & 2003 highly customized Yamaha Warrior
    When I de-mickeyed I started knocking the crap out of the mickey with a pipe and the welds were not coming loose. As a result, it started to tear up the exhaust pipe, bending the metal lining the inside.

I then bought an extender for around 10 bucks and a 2 ¾” hole bit at Home Depot and drilled the 4 plates out. I found the result to be much cleaner than just bashing the inside of the pipes.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. -Steven Wright

Current:
    Chrome "Six Killer" 6061 Billet Aluminum Spike Grooved HandleBar Grips*De-paired*Custom Rocky Turndown exhaust*Lowered 2 ½”*PCIII USB*De-stickered*Clear turn signal lenses (not on rear yet)*Chrome tank seam trim*Küryakyn hypercharger*Küryakyn wide style levers*M109r mirrors*Wider/taller handle bars*Silverstar ultra headlight*OEM highway bars*Plate mount mod*Stock seat lumpectomy mod*Stock seat foam replaced/reshaped*Rerouted cables behind triple tree

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockyrikoko View Post
    When I de-mickeyed I started knocking the crap out of the mickey with a pipe and the welds were not coming loose. As a result, it started to tear up the exhaust pipe, bending the metal lining the inside.

I then bought an extender for around 10 bucks and a 2 ¾” hole bit at Home Depot and drilled the 4 plates out. I found the result to be much cleaner than just bashing the inside of the pipes.
    Oh, I did that the Alabama way as well. I took the mufflers off, covered the smaller (inflow) end, put that end on the grass with the open exhaust end pointing to the sky, grabbed the man hammer and an official demickey tool went to work. When I got done, the muffler was like 6" in the ground. Pulled them up, unwrapped the ends slapped them puppies back in the bike.

Of course, as usual, halfway through the banging the wife comes out to investigate. She sees mufflers impaled in the ground, me with a hammer looking pissed, sweaty and cussing. Her timing is always bad and she gives me that look. If you're married or you've been with your woman for more than a year, you know exactly what look I'm talking about. She always shows up right in the middle of the project when everything is apart and she can't make any sense of what my objective. To her I looked like a mad man that's setting up a muffler shrine for the bike god. No, she never walks out near the end, sees and understands what I'm doing and says, "Cool". I think she does that on purpose.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard C-50
    This is what the Mickey Plate looks like (it's kinda cute ).

The end of the ruler is where the plate is located. It's 11 inches down from the TOP of the muffler.

Last edited by CajunCountry; 06-22-2008 at 10:02 PM.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard C-50
    Thanks guys! That/this is exactly what I needed to know. I'll be pulling the baffles out hopefully tomorrow. Not sure if I can get to the Mickey Plate since I left my battery charger at a friends house 3 hours away this weekend... DOH! And I know I don't have enough juice to finish the job with the drill, and the spare is drained. I'd rather not be banging around in there and take the chance of ruining my muffler with a few outward dings.

Thanks for keeping up with me. e.

Oh, the full set of pics (so far) are located here -

http://flickr.com/photos/cajuncountr...7605708734437/
    Last edited by CajunCountry; 06-23-2008 at 05:20 PM.

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Kinda reminds me of Mr. Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCountry View Post
    This is what the Mickey Plate looks like (it's kinda cute ).

Third gear and cruising
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Black C50, 2006 Silver M50, 2003 Victory Vegas & 2003 highly customized Yamaha Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by diamond_jim View Post
    Kinda reminds me of Mr. Bill.

Oh nooooooooooooooooo!
    Last edited by Rockyrikoko; 06-23-2008 at 08:10 AM.
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. -Steven Wright

Current:
    Chrome "Six Killer" 6061 Billet Aluminum Spike Grooved HandleBar Grips*De-paired*Custom Rocky Turndown exhaust*Lowered 2 ½”*PCIII USB*De-stickered*Clear turn signal lenses (not on rear yet)*Chrome tank seam trim*Küryakyn hypercharger*Küryakyn wide style levers*M109r mirrors*Wider/taller handle bars*Silverstar ultra headlight*OEM highway bars*Plate mount mod*Stock seat lumpectomy mod*Stock seat foam replaced/reshaped*Rerouted cables behind triple tree

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Black M50 (SOLD)
    What kind of sound would be expected if you were to leave the baffle with the addition of the fibrosleeve?

Edit: A silly question here. I was reading your instructions and it says to cut out 2 pieces of the mesh wire. Are you just doubling up on the mesh to get it more springy?
    Last edited by Zinje; 06-24-2008 at 05:25 PM.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard C-50
    There really wasn't that much (if any) difference with or without the baffle after removing the plate. That's why I went ahead and removed them (the baffles). Plus I don't know how much room you'd have if you left them in and tried to sleeve it. Seems like it'd be kinda tight. So go ahead and rip those puppies out. Can't imagine you not being happy with the results. I'm waiting to sleeve it after I saw out the Mickey's (damn battery powered tools!

And the 2 pieces are one (1) for each pipe.

Third gear and cruising
    My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinje View Post
    What kind of sound would be expected if you were to leave the baffle with the addition of the fibrosleeve?

Edit: A silly question here. I was reading your instructions and it says to cut out 2 pieces of the mesh wire. Are you just doubling up on the mesh to get it more springy?
    I dont think it would do much sound wise but it my constrict things for more back pressure

Current:

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinje View Post

1 piece per pipe.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki/C50T/2007
    Hey Zinje,
    If you leave the baffles in after you cut out the back plate, the vibration in the muffler will break the baffles off. Depending when they break off could become a road/safety hazard. I have a friend that just cut the back plates out, and about a week later, he noticed he only had one baffle left.
    Cheers,
    Din-K-dau

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by DIN-K-DAU View Post
    Hey Zinje,
    If you leave the baffles in after you cut out the back plate, the vibration in the muffler will break the baffles off. Depending when they break off could become a road/safety hazard. I have a friend that just cut the back plates out, and about a week later, he noticed he only had one baffle left.
    Cheers,
    Din-K-dau
    Ha ha. Somebody got a baffle to the radiator.

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Black M50 (SOLD)
    Just realized something. My bike is still new. An 08 and I have extended warranty. Wouldn't this void it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Ads