Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by squale View Post
    Well I did the debaffle, demickey, and then I followed your instructions for the 6" fiberglass baffle thing. I had a slight issue however because once I wrapped the wire mesh and the 1" fiberglass packing around the 2" pvc pipe it wouldn't really fit inside the pipes that well. It was too tight a fit and I had to really push on the pvc to try and get it in there and the fiberglass kept sliding off the wire mesh because I guess the fiberglass was getting hung on maybe the sharp edges of the old baffle plate mounts. So anyhow, I took the pvc out from the wire mesh, I just rolled the wire mesh a bit tighter using my hands, then I wrapped the fiberglass around the wire mesh as I held the wire mesh in it's rolled position. Then with the help of a friend hands, I was able to get the wire mesh and fiberglass inside the pipes. I pushed the 6" fiberrod up to within 2" of the 3rd plate and it is sitting rougly 3.5" from the end of the pipes (if measured from the bottom end of the pipe).

The sound is a little deeper than it was without the fiberrod in there, but wow what a difference in total from the stock baffled sound. I did notice however that now when I am riding and I let go of the throttle quickly I will hear a little pop or backfire once in a while. Is this normal? is there something wrong with the fuel/air mixture from doing this mod?

everything else on the bike is completely stock and it's a 2006 m50

thanks
    If you've demickey'd then you should do full length fibrosleeves. If not or until then I'd suggest that you move them back towards the end of the pipe.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

In Training
    I thought I have to keep them at least 2 inches from the 3rd pipe and then push them in at least 3 inches from the back end of the muffler opening? if so I think the 6" long fibrosleeve is the longest I can do? I have about 12 inches from the back end of the muffler opening to the 3rd plate. 3 inches in, 2 inches from the 3rd plate.. that only leaves me 7 inches to work with. The fibrosleeve is about 6.5 inches right now.

so I'm not sure what you mean by the full length fibrosleeve? and will the full length significantly change the sound?

I was under the impression that the full leave fibrosleeve was ONLY for when you remove the 3rd plates.. I left the 3rd plates in as you said to..

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    From the 3rd plate to the bottom end of the exhaust tip it measures 20.5". If you take away 3" off from both ends, or 6", you get 14.5". The Moose fiberglass muffler packing that I'm using comes in rectangles of 14"x11". I call it full length because I'm using the full length of the fiberglass material as it comes and because it's twice as long as a fibrosleeve if you still have the mickey plates in place.

In Training
    hmmm this is very interesting.. on my bike which is a 2006 M50 I took out the baffle and the mickey plate, so I just have the 3rd plate left... and according to your picture for the same measuring locations, mine is only 12.75" long. This is using EXACTLY the same measuring locations as what you just put in your pictures.

So 3 inches from both ends leaves me with an available space of only 6.75" which basically is what my fibrosleeve is now.

I don't know how your pipes are that much longer?

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Do your pipes look like this?

Last edited by diamond_jim; 06-29-2008 at 03:47 PM.

In Training
    yup mine looks just like that. but my measurements aren't nearly as long as yours...

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    yup mine looks just like that. but my measurements aren't nearly as long as yours...
    That was an old pic inside a muffler. I just took a flashlight to my pipes.

Okay, I'm a total idiot. I feel so stupid right now. I think I did knock that plate out a long time ago and forgot that I did. Okay, shoot me now. That was like 48 mods ago. Crap! I was posting earlier remembering other people saying that they took out the back plate and that it sounded even louder and crappier and that's why I was saying not to do it. But I just realized that I never rode with it open like that. I have tons of fibrosleeve stuff laying around the garage and apparently after I knocked out the 3rd plate I put in longer fibrosleeves and the memory just never came to when I was posting here. Dang I feel stupid. I really thought I had left them in there. My bad, dude. You are right.

I guess you know you've done tons of stuff to your bike when you start to forget the things you've already done!

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Squale, if you do knock out that 3rd plate, holler at me and I'll send you some more wire mesh to fit for free if you need it.

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    06 Suzuki M50 (Black-The Faster Kind)
    don't beat yourself too much

we all forget stuff we've done (specially if you do tons of it)
    WHEN I SAID "LET'S GET SOME SUN", THIS IS WHAT I MEANT

In Training
    DJ, nah I got plenty of wire mesh left over. And I have an extra bag of fiberglass.. I think it's made by FMF or whatever... basically looks just like the Moose stuff you posted.

anyhow, what do you think I should do? should I knock out that 3rd plate or leave it in there? I think the bike sounds pretty good right now with the 3rd plate in and the 6" fiberrod. Will it be WAY louder with that 3rd plate gone?

I'm afraid if I take that 3rd plate out I will lose all backpressure inside the exhaust and therefore my bike might run crappy or backfire, etc. Everything else on the bike is completely stock.

ahhh... what to do... what to do...

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Suzuki M90
    DJ, nah I got plenty of wire mesh left over. And I have an extra bag of fiberglass.. I think it's made by FMF or whatever... basically looks just like the Moose stuff you posted.

anyhow, what do you think I should do? should I knock out that 3rd plate or leave it in there? I think the bike sounds pretty good right now with the 3rd plate in and the 6" fiberrod. Will it be WAY louder with that 3rd plate gone?

I'm afraid if I take that 3rd plate out I will lose all backpressure inside the exhaust and therefore my bike might run crappy or backfire, etc. Everything else on the bike is completely stock.

ahhh... what to do... what to do...
    Crap ...DJ....another to beat me in the de-baffle...LMAO....The day will come, just been so busy

In Training
    DJ,
    Do you have any sound clips of your bike now with the 3rd plate gone and the full fiborsleeve installed?

I looked on youtube but couldn't find any videos with the full length fibrosleeve.. only found straight pipe videos and personally I think the sound of the 3rd plate out is way too loud and not a nice deep sound at all.

before I decide what to do with these 3rd plates I would like to hear your bike..

thanks again!

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    DJ,
    Do you have any sound clips of your bike now with the 3rd plate gone and the full fiborsleeve installed?

I looked on youtube but couldn't find any videos with the full length fibrosleeve.. only found straight pipe videos and personally I think the sound of the 3rd plate out is way too loud and not a nice deep sound at all.

before I decide what to do with these 3rd plates I would like to hear your bike..

thanks again!
    Copronymous made this vid with my full length fibrosleeve sound clip.
    YouTube - Suzuki M50 wit full length fibrosleeve

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    05 Black M50
    I put in the 6" sleeve today while paint was drying. I didn't take it for a ride yet, but just at idle with some little revs it sounds good. For cheap and easy this is definitely the way to go.

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki Boulevard M50z(sold) 2008 GSX650F
    Quote Originally Posted by diamond_jim View Post
    This is part 2 of how to rebaffle M50 stock pipes with fiberglass. See the accompanying post #1 (just above or below this post, depending on how your posting time/dates are set) for the first 5 steps.

Continued...

6. Find a piece of 2" PVC pipe that's about 8-10" long. It works better if you have some kind of flange or fitting on one end. I'll explain later.

Wow... I just happen to have a piece laying around...

7. Now you are going to roll the wire mesh a little tighter. Roll it nicely around the PVC pipe just like you did on the paint can.

8. Let it overlap about 1/2" and trim off the extra.

9. Now wrap your wire mesh around the PVC again and then wrap the fiberglass muffler packing around the wire mesh and trim it so that it looks like this:

The PVC pipe will not remain in the muffler. It is used only to mold the wire mesh shape and as a tool to help place the fiberglass and mesh in the exhaust.

10. While holding the fiberglass/wire mesh tightly around the PVC, slide it into the debaffled pipes.

11. Slide it in several inches. This is were the flange or fitting on the PVC pipe helps to slide the fiberglass,wire mesh in the exhaust pipe.

Once in, pull the PVC pipe out. The spring tension in the wire mesh presses outward against the fiberglass and holds it tightly in place. In the above pic, the fiberglass is slid about an inch so that the camera could capture it. Slide it in further than this though.

Now do the other pipe the same way.

Be sure to use the paint can then PVC to roll the wire mesh. If you go straight to the PVC it's more likely to bend the wire as you try to roll it. Don't skip this step.

This has made my debaffled pipes sound much better. The fiberglass absorbs the valve noises, air velocity noise and resonance of the pipes. Now I have a deeper growl that is just awesome. It costs about $10-15 dollars and works like a charm for me.
    DJ, have you tried, or heard of anyone trying, just debaffling and the installing your sleeve? If so, what length did you/they use, and should it butt up to the mickey plate or have a gap.

If this hasn't been done, does demickey'ing make the sound much louder then the debaffle. If so, does the sleeve bring it back to near the sound level as the debaffled pipes?

I have already debaffled, and I'm happy with the volume, now I just want to clean up the tone a bit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Ads