Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2006 M50
    Option #1 is what I used to wrap my baffles. It will work, you just need to use safety wire or packing tape to keep it in place. #2 would be much easier, I just didn't feel like waiting.
    2006 M50 Streetrod Slashdowns, Thunder Tornado, Cobra fi2000, John's Kit forwards, 32" Drag Bars with riser spacers, Widow Pegs, ISO Grips, other misc. mods

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50 Bumblebee
    I did the fibrosleeve on mine over the weekend but made the decision to drill a small hole in the bottom of the mufflers, ran a #6 threaded screw up the middle to the inside top of the mufflers to secure the baffles from flying out unexpectedly. Sprayed a bit of flat black paint inside and this is unnoticeable (unless you get on the ground looking for it). Located some fiberglass packing on Ebay in a 10 x 38 inch roll that was 1/4" thick. I doubled it around the screen and slid it in place - no problem. The bike sounds much, much, nicer now. deeper but not ratty sounding anymore. I am going to (probably) get a couple of pieces of copper pipe and drill as many holes in it as possible and wrap it with new glass once these do burn out. Won't be concerned about the spring tension keeping the baffles in place and will be a rapid replacement from now on. Sorry for rambling along but really happy with the results!
    Factory tall backrest, MC Enterprises crash bar, Slipstreamer Falcon windshield, John's Kit 2 1/2" lowering kit. Ride Safe!____________________________________________

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    I've had the best success with the Moose brand fiberglass. There are other companies that make the same stuff and just as good. If you're not sure what to get, look for Moose.

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50 Blue with C50 Rear Fender
    Two extra FibroSleeve steps that I have found to be very helpful:

1) I had trouble with the entire fibrosleeves blowing out of the pipes until I saw this idea in a another thread, and tried it.

Cut a piece of coat hanger or similar wire about a foot long. Bend a 3/4" hook on one end and leave it sort of open so that it will not quite clear the opening in Mickey's ear. Shove this hook into one of Mickey's ears till it springs into place, and pull in back tight against the Mickey plate. Install the fibrosleeve, keeping the wire completely outboard of the packing, and against the inner wall of the exhaust pipe. Cut the wire so that you have approx. 2" beyond the end of the mesh, and then bend the excess over around the fibrosleeve. This will keep the mesh in place so that it can not blow out of the pipe.

2) I, then, had trouble with the packing blowing out from between the mesh and the pipe until I did this:

Instead of cutting the mesh 6" wide, cut it 6 1/2" wide, and bend an approx. 3/8" flange along one edge so that, when rolled up, it makes an outer flange at the rear end that, when inserted into the pipe, will hold the packing in place.

Summery: The flange, holding the packing in place, and the wire holding the mesh in place secures this whole assembly very well. When you need to remove the fibrosleeve just bend the wire back, and slide the mesh out. If you need to remove the wire, just grab it with a with a vise grip and just yank it out. You can not heart the Mickey plate by doing this.
    06 M50 Bluuu Bluuu Bluuu
    DJ DRIVE - C90 Rear End Swap (14% lower RPM's)
    MEMPHIS SHADES - Big Shot Wind Screen
    PILOT NV-501W - Driving Lights on Custom Bar
    STEBEL - Air Horn
    JOHN'S KITS - Forward Controls
    MUSTANG WIDE TOUR - Driver and Pillion Seat Combo
    BESTEM - Passenger Backrest and Luggage Rack
    CYCLE-ISTIC - Passenger Peg Extenders
    RIVER ROAD XL - Studded Slant Bags (Reinforced & Lockable)
    RIVER ROAD XL-SLANTS / EASY BRACKET - Saddle Bag & Supports
    C50 RAEAR FENDER - Fender and Lighting Swap

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
    Deleted, decided to go back to stock pipes...found a set cheap.
    Last edited by NoRegrets78; 06-17-2009 at 09:19 AM.
    see you in infinity...

In Training
    any better fibrosleeves from the original instructions on page 1? My fibrosleeves blew out on me after one year following the instructions on page 1..

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50 Black; 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750; 2003 Yamaha XT225
    If you are thinking of doing fibrosleeves and haven't thought of it yet, I suggest using a 10-14" length x 12" wide section of very thin gage sheetmetal as a compression sleeve to ease insertion of the fibrosleeve. This was for 6" fibrosleeves in debaffled stock pipes. You'll want something longer for a debaffled & de-mickey'd pipe.

I wrapped a section into a small tube and inserted it into the debaffled muffler prior to inserting the fibrosleeve. I inserted it until about an inch or two of the "mickey" plate. Expand it until it matches the inside diameter of the muffler and twist the end sticking out a little bit to create a very slight cone.

I then wrap the packing around a compressed sleeve cage and slide it into the end of the "compression sleeve". The fibrosleeve should slide smoothly down the compression sleeve while gently twisting the fibrosleeve (twist in a direction so that the packing doesn't catch/grab on the inner overlap of the compression sleeve). You can always grab the free-end of the compression sleeve and give it a twist to help compress the packing. Once the fibrosleeve is well into the muffler, use a 2-3/4" PVC pipe to keep the fibrosleeve seated at the bottom, I ease out the compression sleeve. Alternating between a pull out on the compression sleeve and a seating tap with the PVC pipe, the compression sleeve will be removed while leaving the fibrosleeve fully seated in the debaffled muffler.
    Experience is the comb that Life gives you after you've lost your hair.

2007 M50 Black - Hard Krome 3" Res-Tech Exhaust ~ Ken Cooley Chin Spoiler ~ Kury Hypercharger ~ PCIII USB ~ S.S. Brake Line ~ 1" Riser Spacers ~ ISO Grips w/Throttle Bosses & Transformer Endcaps ~ ISO Pegs, Shifter & Brake Cover ~ Willie & Max Raptor Saddlebags ~ Debadged ~ Iridium Plugs ~ Factory Wire Rack, Tank Bib & Case Guards ~ Black Vinyl Wrapped Forks ~ Smoked Lenses ~ Flex 3 led plate frame

Hello all,

Thank you for all the information in this thread, I am interested to try the Fibrosleeve out! I have just a quick question and I hope someone can help. I own a 2003 Vulcan 800 and have debaffled recently and although it sounds great, I am thinking if I can tame it just a bit I might like it even more. However, I have been looking everywhere online to see if anyone had pointers for a Kawasaki and can not find any information. Has anyone here seen/done the Fibrosleeve on a Kawasaki? If so, any suggestions or changes that I need to be aware of?

Thank you in advance!
    Matt

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Boulevard M50 Black and Yellow
    i would assume it would be the same process. it cant be that different. but then again... im not a mechanic.
    2008 Black on yellow M50 ~ Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns ~ FI2000R ~ removed air cleaner ~ de-paired ~ de-flectored ~ 3" drop ~ JK forward controls ~ curved side mount license plate ~ integrated tail light ~ Jardine sissy bar ~ always looking for more stuff to add!

I have metal in both of my legs. I'm working on becoming the Bionic Man!

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50

Exclamation Sound Comparison Video

I took the baffles out and put the fibrosleeve in and I LOVE the sound. Many compliments come my way. Here's a video with samples of the sound each step of the way. It's only a minute long so no worries about boring bloated youtubeness here.

YouTube - M50 Exhaust Stock to Debaffle to Fibrosleeve Sound Comparison

Please comment on the video so I'll know what everyone thinks!
    Last edited by alexJohnston; 06-25-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Link was bad.

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50 Blue with C50 Rear Fender
    Quote Originally Posted by squale View Post
    any better fibrosleeves from the original instructions on page 1? My fibrosleeves blew out on me after one year following the instructions on page 1..
    The Moose packing works very well, and DJ's installation method is very simple and straight forward. However, as I described a couple of posts above this one, you need to do two more simple things to hold it all in place for the long haul.

1) bend a 3/8" to 1/2" flange on the outboard end of the expanded metal inner frame to hold the packing in place.
    2) Hook the wire thru the mickey plate, slide in the assembly, then bend the wire back around the end of the assembly to hold the mesh in place.

I am well into the 2nd season with the last set I installed using this method, and again, these items are more clearly described in my post a few above this one.
    Last edited by old new biker; 06-25-2010 at 11:18 AM.
    06 M50 Bluuu Bluuu Bluuu
    DJ DRIVE - C90 Rear End Swap (14% lower RPM's)
    MEMPHIS SHADES - Big Shot Wind Screen
    PILOT NV-501W - Driving Lights on Custom Bar
    STEBEL - Air Horn
    JOHN'S KITS - Forward Controls
    MUSTANG WIDE TOUR - Driver and Pillion Seat Combo
    BESTEM - Passenger Backrest and Luggage Rack
    CYCLE-ISTIC - Passenger Peg Extenders
    RIVER ROAD XL - Studded Slant Bags (Reinforced & Lockable)
    RIVER ROAD XL-SLANTS / EASY BRACKET - Saddle Bag & Supports
    C50 RAEAR FENDER - Fender and Lighting Swap

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50
    Quote Originally Posted by alexJohnston View Post
    I took the baffles out and put the fibrosleeve in and I LOVE the sound. Many compliments come my way. Here's a video with samples of the sound each step of the way. It's only a minute long so no worries about boring bloated youtubeness here.

YouTube - M50 Exhaust Stock to Debaffle to Fibrosleeve Sound Comparison

Please comment on the video so I'll know what everyone thinks!
    Nicely done! Thanks a lot for the work!
    2k8 SE, 2k5 Red Parts, Mustang Vintage Wide Seat, Suzuki OEM Passenger Floorboards, 28" Drag Bars, Ken's 1" Spacers, 2nd Gen Chin Spoiler, Undertail Eliminator Kit, Relocated Turn Signals and Tag, Morton's Violators, K&N Drop In, PC-V retrofit, De-Paired, Custom Headlight, Blacking out the Chrome, Found better brakes - just have to get them on!!!

Hi to everyone
    Im new here...

(yes i know that it is 3 years old topic)

I looked through the whole topic an very liked the fibrosleeve mod...

I wondered about the refill material....
    What it would be if i use ceramic fiber for a packing...
    something like this....
    New Ceramic Wool Sponge for Bio Ethanol Fireplaces Reduce The Cost Save Fuel | eBay

would it be any good?

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    Quote Originally Posted by diamond_jim View Post

The PVC pipe will not remain in the muffler. It is used only to mold the wire mesh shape and as a tool to help place the fiberglass and mesh in the exhaust.

just wondering if the fiberglass caused you to itch.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by pointy View Post
    I wondered about the refill material....
    What it would be if i use ceramic fiber for a packing...
    Don't know. Since it was not made to pass exhaust gasses, it might be too restrictive.
    Anyhow, exhaust grade fiberglass is widely available so why not use that ??
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Ads