Advice for new M50 owners - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki M50
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsimpson View Post
    Your Bike will NEVER sound like a Harley...
    I think someone else said it the best in another thread, if you want the bike to sound like a Harley, just knock it out of timing and turn your idle down a little.

'07 M50, Blurple
    WRECKED ON 8/1/09 at about 2 PM

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Yamaha Raider
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie800 View Post
    If it's squeaking like a bird's nest just spray all rubber pads you can find with silicone spray.
    Yup, had to ask about that myself.
    2009 Yamaha Raven Raider
    *V&H Big Radius 2-1
    *Cobra Fi2000R O2
    *Krank Vent
    *Custom LED Intergrated Taillight
    *Kury Scythe Mirrors
    *Zombies

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50 Grey and Black
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveAlvarado View Post
    Yes, that buzzing sound when you first turn it on is normal.
    So is the high-pitched whine before you start it up.
    Shifting between first and second going either way is not going to be smooth for the first thousand miles or so.
    Synthetic is ok.
    Nice, these would have been so helpful when i just got mine. Totally new to bikes and was like "is this sound normal AHHH?"

Great posts you guys TYVM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    08 Suzuki M50
    Great thread! I'm sure all of us new owners find this info extremely useful. Many Thanks

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2006 M50
    Please pay no attention to the manuals recommended speeds for shifting gears, use your ears and get a feel for the useable range in each gear.

Use the search feature, there is a ton of valuable information if you take the time to look it up.

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    When you first get the bike, get a bottle of clear nail polish and spend and hour putting a coat of clear nail polish on each and every exposed nut and allen head. It will prevent rust on the corners of bolts and inside of allen heads.

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2009 DL1000 V-Strom Blk | traded 2007 M50 LE Gray
    is it just me or did my gas just disappear really quickly...?
    I got the bike last Saturday and did maybe 250kms and I'm already down to 1 bar on the gas gauge... is this normal, apparently the dealer tells me it is for the first couple of oil changes.

odd? or is my gf laughing for a reason (she says her SUV gets better gas mileage)
    could it be my shifting skills after 20 yrs has gone south?
    gak!

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50 Grey and Black
    Quote Originally Posted by geeker View Post
    is it just me or did my gas just disappear really quickly...?
    I got the bike last Saturday and did maybe 250kms and I'm already down to 1 bar on the gas gauge... is this normal, apparently the dealer tells me it is for the first couple of oil changes.

odd? or is my gf laughing for a reason (she says her SUV gets better gas mileage)
    could it be my shifting skills after 20 yrs has gone south?
    gak!
    250kms is about 155 miles. It works out to be just under 38 miles to the gallon if you had used your entire tank. But since you have 1 bar left, that means you haven't used all 4.1 gallons and are getting a bit higher mileage than that probably low 40's depending if you just got to 1 bar. If you are driving it hard, it will get low 40's for gas mileage, when you are gentle on the bike and shift closer to the ridiculous speed markers in the manual you will get closer to 50-52 mpg. At least you know that her SUV is not beating you unless she gets more than a bit over 38 miles to the gallon. And if you drive careful you'll leave her in the dust mileage wise.

P.S. I never drive carefully(fuel efficiency wise) and average about 42 mpg regularly but to me it's worth it.

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Mods are any change to the bike that require a power tool, welding equipment or even more sophisticated toolology.

If you rotate your bars, you are tweaking. If you debadge, you are personalizing. If you change grips, you are customizing. If you fabricate new things and/or modify existing things using tools that would scare a small child then you are modding.

Here are the definitions:

To tweak: adjust; fine-tune.
    To personalize: make personal or more personal.
    To customize: make or alter to individual or personal specifications.
    To mod: the mother of alterations- resell value be damned!

Handlebar Consultant
    The M50 has a rev limiter. If you bounce off it while in gear, you're having fun.
    Current Mods/Accessories: OEM short sissy bar, MC Enterprises crash bar, Mustang Vintage Wide Touring seat, Kuryakyn Dually Iso highway pegs + Longhorn mounts, Highway Hawk floorboards, Tsukayu Corner hard bags, Memphis Shades Pop-Top with modified mounts, Kuryakyn GranTour bag for the long trips

TurtleWax Taster
    My Bike(s)
    Silver '06 M50
    1. do yourself a favor and replace the factory headlight with a Silverstar bulb right away. The plastic packing, a paper towel and a ziploc baggie make a good shock absorbing, weatherproof package that you can use to store the stock bulb in the tool compartment on the side of the bike.

2. open your toolkit right away and verify you have ALL the tools you should have, including the suspension adjustment tool. If anything is missing, demand it from your dealer if you bought new. If you bought used, go get the missing pieces, they're worth their weight in gold.

3. Lemon Pledge and WD-40 are your friends. HOT water on a cotton cloth removes bugs from faceshields and windshields quicker easier and cheaper than any chemical I've used yet.

4. If you do your own oil changes, ignore the manual. Hand tight + 1/4 turn on the oil filter, just like dad taught you back in the day.

5. If you don't do your own oil changes or any other maintenance, get the service manual and start. You'll save a small fortune, and get a whole LOT of satisfaction out of it.

6. If you're replacing the grips, don't just turn the screw on the end of the bar-weights until it comes free. If you do, you're going to need a wire hangar, a strong friend, some patience and quite possibly a good magnet. Trust me.

Where Am I ?
    If you decide to powershift between second and third gears, hold on tight.

Cobra slashcuts are loud but not obnoxious, that being said the slashcuts are a good tool to annoy you lame neighbor if you have one of those.

Picking up my new Victory Vegas next week. The M50 held its value regarding resale.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    If you are over 6 feet tall or have a 33"-plus inseam, invest in a set of John's Kits Forward Controls. You'll be amazed, both at the low cost and increase in comfort.

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    When you take out the bolts on the rear fender support to install new saddlebag supports and you can't get the stupid bolts to line up, pause and search this site for tips.

Forensic Bug Splatter Analyst
    My Bike(s)
    05 Boulevard C50 LE, 06 S40 (wife's bike)
    Quote Originally Posted by diamond_jim View Post
    When you take out the bolts on the rear fender support to install new saddlebag supports and you can't get the stupid bolts to line up, pause and search this site for tips.
    Or just go ahead and tell them up front not to remove both bolts at the same time.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links