Advice for new M50 owners - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    07 Harley Street Bob, 09 Buell 1125CR, 11 Victory Cross Country, 2012 Royal Enfield Desert Storm
    When you remove the front motor mount bolt to add your highway pegs, either support the engine or use a jack to lift the engine to get the motor mount holes to line up again. You shouldn't have to pound on the bolt, well, tap on it maybe.

The thread to install the turn signal relay for LED blinkers has earlier information to remind M50 owners that the wires are reversed. Otherwise, they won't blink.

Ride the bike the way it was intended to be ridden, and you will have a very enjoyable mount. Its not a race bike, its a cruiser, and a nice one at that!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Boulevard M50
    Give your bike a good going over early in its life. I found EVERY coolant hose clamp loose, taking a turn or more to tighten them. None were leaking, but I'd bet they would at extended mileage AND a long ways from home.

You'll need to remove lots of covers to get at all 12 clamps -- have a good time.

Ray Nielsen, in Minneapolis and going for a ride as soon as the rain stops.

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Check to see that 2 very important tools are in your new bike's tool kit: the spanner wrench and the spark plug wrench. The spanner wrench is for the rear shock preload adjustment and the spark plug wrench gets in there better than a socket that you might pull out of your toolbox. If they are not, call the dealer and get them. Some people have reported not getting a spanner wrench in their tool kit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2008 M50
    After checking my toolkit, low and behold spanner wrench is not in there. I bought new, so should this have been a standard item within the tool kit?

Want's A New Title
    My Bike(s)
    2006 grey suzuki M50 /2009 KLR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveAlvarado View Post
    The M50 has a rev limiter. If you bounce off it while in gear, you're having fun.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard M50 - "Lulu"
    2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R - "Rikku"
    bounce fast and bounce often
    so... if you get another bike, you gonna call it Auron?
    M109R "Auron"
    2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 called Beast and 2006 Suzuki M50 to be reborn M50 Service Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajim View Post
    "we, the few, the proud, the motorcyclists of the world, refuse to sit down in comfort, insulated from the environment, and run the gauntlet of life with a front row seat. And we wouldn't want it any other way." Jim

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50 Grey and Black
    Quote Originally Posted by wideopen4life View Post
    After checking my toolkit, low and behold spanner wrench is not in there. I bought new, so should this have been a standard item within the tool kit?
    Yeah, the dealers tend to steal them.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    02' 883 sporty
    awe I don't have a spanner wrench either those thieving..........

If you aren't hitting the limiter than you aren't going fast enough. (But wait till after break in)

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Yamaha Raider
    Quote Originally Posted by wideopen4life View Post

Not if you have an 08. Suzuki does not include this tool with the 08's for some idiotic reason.
    2009 Yamaha Raven Raider
    *V&H Big Radius 2-1
    *Cobra Fi2000R O2
    *Krank Vent
    *Custom LED Intergrated Taillight
    *Kury Scythe Mirrors
    *Zombies

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50 Grey and Black
    Quote Originally Posted by fake View Post
    Not if you have an 08. Suzuki does not include this tool with the 08's for some idiotic reason.
    NOt true, Me and several other '08 owners have it

Fender Buffer
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki M50 Limited
    i didnt get one with my m70 limted 2007

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Be sure to when you put on and lock the left side cover (the one over the storage toolkit box), be sure it locks good so you don't lose the cover while riding down the road.

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    If you install the forward controls be sure to check the spring that connects to the rear brake switch and pulls it down to activate the tail light when you press the brake down. When I first installed mine, that spring connected to the new rod and seemed good to go. Then a week later I looked and saw it just dangling from the brake switch. To get a good fit again I had to adjust the rear brake switch by backing it out a little which puts more tension on the spring.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki M50
    If you bring on a new passenger, ensure to advise them not to rest their heels on the exhaust pipe. It gets very hot and will melt their shoe quickly. Your passenger will end up with a hole in their shoe, and you'll end up scraping goo off you pipes!

When locking your forks with your key, ensure you don't turn the key all the way back. This is the "Acc" mode which leaves your rear tail light on and will drain your battery rather quickly.

Search the forum for threads on how to remove those warning labels. Not as easy as you think.

Put up with your new pipes for a while before swapping to aftermarket as the originals DO get louder with time.

Ensure tire pressure is set properly and give your bike a nice wash n wax before riding.

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2008 C90 SE
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsimpson View Post
    If you replace your Exhaust or Debaffle your stock pipe...you DON'T need a powercommander or any of it's affiliates. You ONLY need to install a fuel managment system if you replace the air Intake.

PS: The search function, found here Motorcycle-Journal Forums - Search Forums is pure gold. Chances are, your question has been asked and answered already and will make your life easier and results quicker.
    That is something that is debatable. A staff writer for Motorcycle Cruiser magazine makes a case in this months issue stating the opposite opinion. My mechanic says sometimes it is needed sometimes its not. Myself , I am not knowledgeable enough to debate the case either way !
    Ride Safe
    Hammersfan

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2008 M50 Ltd Black/Silver

Toolkit inventory

As a new owner who will be picking up their new M50 tomorrow, can anyone give a quick listing of what should be expected in the toolkit besides the spark plug wrench and the suspension tool?

Quote Originally Posted by NCxM50 View Post

2. open your toolkit right away and verify you have ALL the tools you should have, including the suspension adjustment tool. If anything is missing, demand it from your dealer if you bought new. If you bought used, go get the missing pieces, they're worth their weight in gold.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links