Advice for new M50 owners - Page 4
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Want's A New Title
    My Bike(s)
    2006 grey suzuki M50 /2009 KLR 650
    lost another bolt... this time it's the rear bolt holding the muffler to the chassis!!
    holy crap... dunno how i lost that one...
    just a reminder... check all bolts and tighten them using lock-tite
    2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 called Beast and 2006 Suzuki M50 to be reborn M50 Service Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajim View Post
    "we, the few, the proud, the motorcyclists of the world, refuse to sit down in comfort, insulated from the environment, and run the gauntlet of life with a front row seat. And we wouldn't want it any other way." Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    Boulevard M50
    The wonderful New England heat reminded me of something. If you're going to park your bike on a really hot day outside (like at work) buy something to slip under the kickstand so it won't melt into the asphault and tip your bike. Anything works, they do sell plastic pieces to slide under, but a crushed cup/soda can, piece of carboard...anything like that should work.

'05 M50 black
    MAPAM backrest
    Corbin dual tour
    Highwayman Jumbo Straight Bags
    Johns Kit forward controls
    Debaffled exhaust

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50
    Quote Originally Posted by UpstateM50 View Post
    I think someone else said it the best in another thread, if you want the bike to sound like a Harley, just knock it out of timing and turn your idle down a little.
    I love this one.
    “Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts.” - Henry Rollins

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Throttle Jockey
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M109r
    Quote Originally Posted by hammersfan View Post
    That is something that is debatable. A staff writer for Motorcycle Cruiser magazine makes a case in this months issue stating the opposite opinion. My mechanic says sometimes it is needed sometimes its not. Myself , I am not knowledgeable enough to debate the case either way !
    Trying to keep the thread on track, but: There is no debate, at least not on an M50 ...nearly all of us have debaffled or swapped pipes and run without a power commander (temporarily on my part). Perhaps a different bike would have a different outcome, but, for the dozens and dozens and dozens of us that have done it, we've had no problems related to debaffling or changing pipes...not to say that it won't run better with one, but it isn't necessarily required.
    Please Note: All opinions contained herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.

It's true that every time you hear a bell ring, an angel gets its wings...
    But what they don't tell you is that every time you hear a mouse trap "snap", an Angel gets set on fire...

2009 Suzuki M109R * RoadBurner Velocity Pro 2-1 Exhaust * Kuryakyn Scythe Mirrors * Raw Designs adjustable lowering bones * OEM Zuki Engine Gaurds * National Cycle Vstream Tour Windsheild * GiPro ATRE w/ Gear Indicator

Handlebar Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsimpson View Post
    Trying to keep the thread on track, but: There is no debate, at least not on an M50 ...nearly all of us have debaffled or swapped pipes and run without a power commander (temporarily on my part). Perhaps a different bike would have a different outcome, but, for the dozens and dozens and dozens of us that have done it, we've had no problems related to debaffling or changing pipes...not to say that it won't run better with one, but it isn't necessarily required.
    Not to mention, magazines have advertisers who like to sell things like power commanders. Rarely will you see a magazine promoting the dirt-cheap option. I've never seen a magazine or TV show say "eh, skip the V&H, get some stock pipe, cut it and weld it yourself, and wrap it with heat tape".
    Current Mods/Accessories: OEM short sissy bar, MC Enterprises crash bar, Mustang Vintage Wide Touring seat, Kuryakyn Dually Iso highway pegs + Longhorn mounts, Highway Hawk floorboards, Tsukayu Corner hard bags, Memphis Shades Pop-Top with modified mounts, Kuryakyn GranTour bag for the long trips

Handlebar Consultant
    Oh, I thought of another tip--ride your bike stock for a while. It's easy to fall into the trap of buying lots of accessories just because they look cool and people are telling you to buy them. I did over 10,000 miles on my bike with some throwover saddlebags as my only accessory. In that time I learned exactly what *my* problems were with the bike, and now I'm spending some serious money fixing them, basically going for a whole touring conversion. The stuff that is right for me isn't going to be right for everyone because we all ride differently and have different goals for our bikes. Figure out what *you* want out of your bike before you spend a lot of hard-earned cash (or break out the plasma cutter).
    Current Mods/Accessories: OEM short sissy bar, MC Enterprises crash bar, Mustang Vintage Wide Touring seat, Kuryakyn Dually Iso highway pegs + Longhorn mounts, Highway Hawk floorboards, Tsukayu Corner hard bags, Memphis Shades Pop-Top with modified mounts, Kuryakyn GranTour bag for the long trips

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Several M50 owners, including myself, have found that when we got the bikes from the dealer, the rear brake was adjusted a little on the weak side. Usually turning the rear brake adjusting nut 1 or 2 full turns clockwise improved the rear brake.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    M50
    Quote Originally Posted by diamond_jim View Post
    Several M50 owners, including myself, have found that when we got the bikes from the dealer, the rear brake was adjusted a little on the weak side. Usually turning the rear brake adjusting nut 1 or 2 full turns clockwise improved the rear brake.
    so true just did it yesterday! Big differance!

My Bike(s)
    2008 M50
    I just ordered a corbin solo seat for my new 2008 M50. Would anyone like to comment on it's comfort compared with the stock seat? Other than the seat, I love the M50. Might look at getting some louder cobra pipes though.

Handlebar Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones21 View Post
    I just ordered a corbin solo seat for my new 2008 M50. Would anyone like to comment on it's comfort compared with the stock seat? Other than the seat, I love the M50. Might look at getting some louder cobra pipes though.
    http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/fo...lo-review.html

I should also note that I have since sold that seat and gone to the Mustang touring seat. The complaint I had about the edges of the seat digging into my butt were what finally drove me over the edge. I've got a big fat ass, so if you don't you probably won't have that complaint. If you do, I strongly suggest looking at the Mustang seat, even if you just run the front seat. It looks nice that way and is much more comfy than stock.

http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/fo...at-review.html

My Bike(s)
    2008 M50
    Thanks for the info. I don't have the size issue (5'4", 120 lbs)...so hopefully I won't have the same problem. I just got the bike and after only about 20 miles it felt like someone had taken a bat to my lower back/tailbone. Does the corbin seat lower you at all?

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    '05 Suzuki Boulevard M50 - Kandie Red!
    If you plan to lower your bike, you should search this forum for Jeff's custom risers. I almost missed my opportunity to get them, and you can't find them anywhere else. Lowering the tail end really extends the reach to the handlebars and I am 5'10" and my arms are still stiff after only and hour commute. i think he might still have a couple of sets left.

And when you are installing the new bones, it is ok to remove the bottom bolt of the suspension to allow you to remove the long bolt from the bottom of the bones, it is almost impossible to remove otherwise. When intalling the new ones, put the bottom together first, then reattach to the suspension, then let the jack down to set the back tire on the ground to get the top holes to line up - If I didn't ask my husband to help, I would have been finished an hour quicker - that's how long it took for me to convince him I was right!
    Chelle

If you meet a woman happy to have Saddlebags – she must own a motorcycle

GO E-A-G-L-E-S!

Want's A New Title
    My Bike(s)
    2006 grey suzuki M50 /2009 KLR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones21 View Post
    there really is no comparison... ANY seat is better than that stock piece of crap.

i read both reviews from Dave and i'll agree on the corbin solo...
    i'm a big guy but i have no ass to speak off...
    it does act like a bucket and it REALLY does change your seating position... i found by it moving me up towards the front and inch or two, it forced me to sit straighter and i fewer back pains... butt pains were totally gone (tailbone couldn't take more than an hour at a time)

it does lack some back support, but you can always get the backrest... i think i'll get one as it's easily removable and can store it quite easily...

the solo seat will NOT work with the stock pillion as the solo seat comes with it's own mounting bracket... i got the corbin pillion as well, but no one has taken a ride on it yet

the biggest problem (which dave already pointed out) is getting a seat that fits your ass...

if you are shorter than i am (5'11" with 32" inseam) you won't have any problems with reach and position... i don't think it's made for the long legged people.
    having you closer to the tank does have an advantage... crown jewels gets a little buzz from the tank women say they like it a lot... hah

as for the pipes... mine got progressively louder as time went by... i removed the top muffler and put it back on and it got a bit louder, but very acceptable... i like a good sound, i don't like bad sounds amplified...
    all this to say, ride it like 10,000km and then see if the sound i good for you
    (or just buy the pipes...)

hope this helps
    2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 called Beast and 2006 Suzuki M50 to be reborn M50 Service Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajim View Post
    "we, the few, the proud, the motorcyclists of the world, refuse to sit down in comfort, insulated from the environment, and run the gauntlet of life with a front row seat. And we wouldn't want it any other way." Jim

My Bike(s)
    2008 M50
    Thanks for the helpful information. Listening to everything, it sounds like I will like my new seat when it finally gets here. Corbin says it is going to take a month to get it to me!

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki C109R
    Quote Originally Posted by womper View Post
    the solo seat will NOT work with the stock pillion as the solo seat comes with it's own mounting bracket... i got the corbin pillion as well, but no one has taken a ride on it yet
    I have the Corbin Solo with the pillion. My wife and I rode 2-up for the first time this weekend. She likes the Corbin and says it's pretty comfy (for a pillion). Now she wants a backrest.... Where does it end?
    '08 C109R featuring: Ultimate Seat (in studded leather); Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/ThrottleBoss and Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs; Cobra Light Bar and Fatty Freeway Bars; GMan Bully, Stealth Intakes, TRE, GBushing, GBat, and Riser Extender; Suzuki Passenger Floorboards; and Auburn Leather Company Ultimate Legend Saddlebags mounted on Edge Saddlebag Brackets

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links