Motorcycle Forum banner

Advice for new M50 owners

85K views 175 replies 67 participants last post by  amad 
#1 ·
I thought I'd start a thread where those of us that have had M50s for a while could post a quick tip for new M50 owners.

Here we go with the first tip:

Check the 3 bolts that hold your tail light assembly on. They take a 10mm socket. A lot of people have lost a bolt, or two, and almost lost their tail light assembly while riding down the road.

Ok... who's next?

#2 ·
If you replace your Exhaust or Debaffle your stock pipe...you DON'T need a powercommander or any of it's affiliates. You ONLY need to install a fuel managment system if you replace the air Intake.

PS: The search function, found here Motorcycle-Journal Forums - Search Forums is pure gold. Chances are, your question has been asked and answered already and will make your life easier and results quicker.

#44 ·
That is something that is debatable. A staff writer for Motorcycle Cruiser magazine makes a case in this months issue stating the opposite opinion. My mechanic says sometimes it is needed sometimes its not. Myself , I am not knowledgeable enough to debate the case either way !

#3 · (Edited)
Be extremely careful when parking your VZ800 on any amount of slope if the bike is pointing downhill. If it's in neutral, there's a good chance that the kickstand will retract and your bike will fall onto its left side. So if you're parking with the bike pointing downhill, put it in first gear and let the bike roll the inch or two until the engine compression prevents it from rolling further. Then put the kickstand down and turn the handlebars all the way to the left.

Better yet, park it facing uphill and you won't need to worry about it.

#8 · (Edited)
Yes, that buzzing sound when you first turn it on is normal.
So is the high-pitched whine before you start it up.
Shifting between first and second going either way is not going to be smooth for the first thousand miles or so.
Synthetic is ok.
The stock seat sucks, but Corbin, Mustang, and Saddlemen all make good alternatives.
You can find reviews of just about every aftermarket part made for our bikes on this forum if you just use the search.
Those of you who really want a Harley, it's ok to ride a Suzuki for a while then trade up.
Those of you who hate Harleys and want to be snobs about it, Harleys are ok.
You should be getting about 40-50 mpg stock if you aren't running the engine too hard all the time.
You can't start your bike if it's in gear and the kickstand is down.
You can't mount Johnskit forward controls and the OEM engine guards at the same time.
The OEM engine guards are nothing like highway bars.
The OEM floorboards are nothing like regular floorboards.
You can buy a cheaper sissy bar than the OEM, but you can't buy a better-looking one.
C50 bars fit the M50--honest--you just have to re-route the cables.
Yes, you need to buy the saddlebag mounts if you're going to use throw-over saddlebags of any kind.

#18 ·
Yes, that buzzing sound when you first turn it on is normal.
So is the high-pitched whine before you start it up.
Shifting between first and second going either way is not going to be smooth for the first thousand miles or so.
Synthetic is ok.
Nice, these would have been so helpful when i just got mine. Totally new to bikes and was like "is this sound normal AHHH?"

Great posts you guys TYVM.

#10 ·
Despite what many people will say highway bars will easily fit this bike without interferring with handling/leaning corners-even lindby highway bars (yes I have them) will fit without affecting handling. If you are riding corners aggressive enough that you do scrape pegs/bars you need a differant bike

#11 ·
Your Bike will NEVER sound like a Harley...
your Bike will never have the Deep Burble of an 1800 cc machine
Your Bike will never out accelerate any sportbike worth it's salt

#20 ·
Please pay no attention to the manuals recommended speeds for shifting gears, use your ears and get a feel for the useable range in each gear.

Use the search feature, there is a ton of valuable information if you take the time to look it up.

#22 ·
is it just me or did my gas just disappear really quickly...?
I got the bike last Saturday and did maybe 250kms and I'm already down to 1 bar on the gas gauge... is this normal, apparently the dealer tells me it is for the first couple of oil changes.

odd? or is my gf laughing for a reason (she says her SUV gets better gas mileage)
could it be my shifting skills after 20 yrs has gone south?
gak!

#23 ·
250kms is about 155 miles. It works out to be just under 38 miles to the gallon if you had used your entire tank. But since you have 1 bar left, that means you haven't used all 4.1 gallons and are getting a bit higher mileage than that probably low 40's depending if you just got to 1 bar. If you are driving it hard, it will get low 40's for gas mileage, when you are gentle on the bike and shift closer to the ridiculous speed markers in the manual you will get closer to 50-52 mpg. At least you know that her SUV is not beating you unless she gets more than a bit over 38 miles to the gallon. And if you drive careful you'll leave her in the dust mileage wise.

P.S. I never drive carefully(fuel efficiency wise) and average about 42 mpg regularly but to me it's worth it.:lol4:

#24 ·
Mods are any change to the bike that require a power tool, welding equipment or even more sophisticated toolology.

If you rotate your bars, you are tweaking. If you debadge, you are personalizing. If you change grips, you are customizing. If you fabricate new things and/or modify existing things using tools that would scare a small child then you are modding.

Here are the definitions:

To tweak: adjust; fine-tune.
To personalize: make personal or more personal.
To customize: make or alter to individual or personal specifications.
To mod: the mother of alterations- resell value be damned!

#25 ·
The M50 has a rev limiter. If you bounce off it while in gear, you're having fun. :)

#35 ·
The M50 has a rev limiter. If you bounce off it while in gear, you're having fun. :)

2007 Suzuki Boulevard M50 - "Lulu"
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R - "Rikku"
bounce fast and bounce often :)
so... if you get another bike, you gonna call it Auron? :)
M109R "Auron" :)

#26 ·
1. do yourself a favor and replace the factory headlight with a Silverstar bulb right away. The plastic packing, a paper towel and a ziploc baggie make a good shock absorbing, weatherproof package that you can use to store the stock bulb in the tool compartment on the side of the bike.

2. open your toolkit right away and verify you have ALL the tools you should have, including the suspension adjustment tool. If anything is missing, demand it from your dealer if you bought new. If you bought used, go get the missing pieces, they're worth their weight in gold.

3. Lemon Pledge and WD-40 are your friends. HOT water on a cotton cloth removes bugs from faceshields and windshields quicker easier and cheaper than any chemical I've used yet.

4. If you do your own oil changes, ignore the manual. Hand tight + 1/4 turn on the oil filter, just like dad taught you back in the day.

5. If you don't do your own oil changes or any other maintenance, get the service manual and start. You'll save a small fortune, and get a whole LOT of satisfaction out of it.

6. If you're replacing the grips, don't just turn the screw on the end of the bar-weights until it comes free. If you do, you're going to need a wire hangar, a strong friend, some patience and quite possibly a good magnet. Trust me.

#45 ·
Toolkit inventory

As a new owner who will be picking up their new M50 tomorrow, can anyone give a quick listing of what should be expected in the toolkit besides the spark plug wrench and the suspension tool?

2. open your toolkit right away and verify you have ALL the tools you should have, including the suspension adjustment tool. If anything is missing, demand it from your dealer if you bought new. If you bought used, go get the missing pieces, they're worth their weight in gold.

#27 ·
If you decide to powershift between second and third gears, hold on tight.

Cobra slashcuts are loud but not obnoxious, that being said the slashcuts are a good tool to annoy you lame neighbor if you have one of those.

Picking up my new Victory Vegas next week. The M50 held its value regarding resale.

#31 ·
When you remove the front motor mount bolt to add your highway pegs, either support the engine or use a jack to lift the engine to get the motor mount holes to line up again. You shouldn't have to pound on the bolt, well, tap on it maybe.

The thread to install the turn signal relay for LED blinkers has earlier information to remind M50 owners that the wires are reversed. Otherwise, they won't blink.

Ride the bike the way it was intended to be ridden, and you will have a very enjoyable mount. Its not a race bike, its a cruiser, and a nice one at that!

#32 ·
Give your bike a good going over early in its life. I found EVERY coolant hose clamp loose, taking a turn or more to tighten them. None were leaking, but I'd bet they would at extended mileage AND a long ways from home.

You'll need to remove lots of covers to get at all 12 clamps -- have a good time.

Ray Nielsen, in Minneapolis and going for a ride as soon as the rain stops.

#33 ·
Check to see that 2 very important tools are in your new bike's tool kit: the spanner wrench and the spark plug wrench. The spanner wrench is for the rear shock preload adjustment and the spark plug wrench gets in there better than a socket that you might pull out of your toolbox. If they are not, call the dealer and get them. Some people have reported not getting a spanner wrench in their tool kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.