Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard M50

Adjusting brake pedal height?

Im about 5-11 and the stock brake pedal height is a little to high for me. I feel like I have to take my foot completely off the peg just to get it over the brake pedal. I bought my bike with no owners manual, and while its in the mail, I need to know if there is any way to adjust this???

Thanks, Dan

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Member "Copronymous" (spelling?) has posted a link to the service manual. I'd suggest searching and reading the section on rear brakes before you start adjusting.

With that said there is some adjustment here, but I don't think all that much. There is a small bolt down near theh pivot point. If you push the brake pedal down with your hand you should be able to see this bolt stopping the pedal when you release it. If you loosen the locknut then turn the bolt in it should lower the pedal a bit. After doing this you will need to re-adjust for the free play you have removed. You will likely need to back off the nut where the arm attaches at the rear brake.

Disclaimer: I'm no mechanic so I highly recommend checking out the manual yourself.

Hope that helps.

TurtleWax Taster
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Service manual

Thats the link Michigunman was referring to
    2008 Suzuki M50 Custom Painted Satin Black an Sublime Green, OEM Engine Guard, MJ limited Risers, home brew light bar with driving lights, debadged, Küryakyn ISO flame grips, drag specialties clamp on highway pegs, custom crosshair radiator cover, lowered two inches with a set of stock pipes painted black and debaffled, demickeyed and chopped.
    In storage-Küryakyn XL saddlebags, Spitfire Windshield, Sissy bar/back rest, hand tooled sissybar pad cover,

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    Boulevard M50
    That manual was the best thing I ever downloaded. That thing has answered numerous questions for me before I had to ask on here.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Has Nobody else had this problem? Maybe my old bike just had the brake pedal way to far down, and now I have to get use to this one. But anyways, it looks like if I just take the pedal part off, and line it up with a different part on the gear marks it might work? Ill see

Dan

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    Boulevard M50
    The only way I've ever seen to adjust the brake pedal with the stop screw on the pedal that Mich mentioned. Tighten or loosen it and you'll see the pedal move. Just give a few turns, try it out, and keep adjusting until you get it where you want.

'05 M50 black
    MAPAM backrest
    Corbin dual tour
    Highwayman Jumbo Straight Bags
    Johns Kit forward controls
    Debaffled exhaust

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    M50
    Back off the adjuster on the brake cam lever of the brake drum. Adjust the bolt on the brake lever to push the lever further away from the peg. Readjust the brake engagement by adjusting the same ajuster you first loosened - test the 'feel' of the brake to make sure it engages when you want to, i.e. I like a little bit of travel before the brake engages. Make real sure the rear brake is not binding.

Adjustment of the rear brake is something everyone should be able to do competently as the rear brake does not automatically adjust for wear of the brake shoes, unlike the hydraulic front brake. It should be part of your monthly riding check, the same as checking the tyres for wear, oil level and so on. Relying on a dealer to pick up on things like this is not particularly safe.

Ads