Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    2008 M50 Yellow

Cool Very simple and useful cargo net anchor mod!

This really simple mod might be helpful to anyone who commutes to work with a heavy backpack full of IT goodies, like a laptop, but does not want to install saddlebags.

I was getting nervous about the hooks on my cargo net and bungee cords eventually scratching the lip of my rear fender from sliding back and forth, when I found this product for $32 + shipping (to Canada): Cobra Bungee Knobs 027325 While it seemed like a clever device, it seemed silly to pay so much for some grooved buttons. So the engineer in me figured I'd be able to do something similar with hardware from Home Depot for <$10. The cost came out to about $5 for some eye bolts and rubber washers, so I'm happy.

From the Cobra Bungee Knobs, I learned that the size of the bolt on the fender is M8. However, go figure, even Canadian Home Depot only carries imperial eye bolts. Using the scientifically accurate method of "eyeballing", I picked up some 5/16" x 3.25" eyebolts including nuts, and some rubber disc washers.

Applied some blue Loc-Tite, and swapped out the regular rear pair of bolts for my stylish new eye bolts, one at a time. I did encounter a river that I haven't bothered to cross yet, since I'm happy with my change visually and functionally, but when I removed one of the front fender bolts, I noticed that the nut was somehow attached to the fender itself? Since imperial bolt + metric nut doesn't equal love, I didn't end up changing out the front pair of bolts to eye bolts. So, question to all you REAL MOD gurus: What's holding those front nuts onto the fender?? Was brute force all I was missing to crack them off, or are they really stuck on there?

EDIT: As suggested by ranger below, I looked for visible weld on the front nuts and didn't see any. I can give the nut removal another go with slightly more pressure in case something non-permanent is hanging onto them.

Pics attached, enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Very simple and useful cargo net anchor mod!-picture.jpg   Very simple and useful cargo net anchor mod!-picture-012.jpg   Very simple and useful cargo net anchor mod!-picture-011.jpg   Very simple and useful cargo net anchor mod!-picture-010.jpg  
    Last edited by izzyinthesky; 10-12-2008 at 07:05 PM.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

In The Zone
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Yamaha Vstar 950
    If they are welded on then not very good because when I take the fender bolts out the nuts come right off, I have to hold onto them to put bolts back in-they are just lock nuts

get up there with a light and look, if they are welded you should be able to see the weld

M50 Manual

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    -Benjamin Franklin-

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Black M50
    I purchased the cobra bungee knobs and they work well. I have them on the front and rear and they blend in very well and are chromed over. I think you have a good mod there if you are in a fix and need to tie something down for a weekend away or something, but to me it looks like you have hardware hanging off the side of your bike. Please don't take my comment personally, it is only my opinion, but I hand you props for giving it a whirl and it will probably help someone in a fix

Scott

2007 Black M50 - Cobra Streetrods, Carbon Fiber Trim Kit, Carbon Fiber Tank Bra, Forward Controls & Dropped 2 1/2" - Thanks John, Sylvania Silverstar Headlight, Side Mount Plate, Kuryakyn Mini Bullet Turn Signals, Mustang Vintage Wide Seat, Clear Fronts, Galfer Stainless Steel front brake line

My Bike(s)
    2008 M50 Yellow
    Quote Originally Posted by shelby322 View Post
    I purchased the cobra bungee knobs and they work well. I have them on the front and rear and they blend in very well and are chromed over. I think you have a good mod there if you are in a fix and need to tie something down for a weekend away or something, but to me it looks like you have hardware hanging off the side of your bike. Please don't take my comment personally, it is only my opinion, but I hand you props for giving it a whirl and it will probably help someone in a fix
    Hehe, no offense taken, shelby. It's purpose is definitely utilitarian. Since I've usually got my giant laptop backpack and bungee cords as my passenger, not really competing for a beauty contest anyway. It probably helps slightly that my yellow bike doesn't necessarily look like a classic cruiser born to wear leather either. I mostly figured that it would be handy to have some sturdy loops like the ones I've seen on Ninjas. And to that end, works like a charm!

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Black M50
    well stated

Scott

2007 Black M50 - Cobra Streetrods, Carbon Fiber Trim Kit, Carbon Fiber Tank Bra, Forward Controls & Dropped 2 1/2" - Thanks John, Sylvania Silverstar Headlight, Side Mount Plate, Kuryakyn Mini Bullet Turn Signals, Mustang Vintage Wide Seat, Clear Fronts, Galfer Stainless Steel front brake line

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Boulevard M50 Black and Yellow
    i tried to put saddle bags on mine one day and i couldnt get those front bolt nuts off for the life of me. are you sure you didnt break a small spot weld? the bags ended up on my buddies vulcan..

p.s. nice color choice

My Bike(s)
    2008 M50 Yellow
    Quote Originally Posted by fargoben67 View Post
    i tried to put saddle bags on mine one day and i couldnt get those front bolt nuts off for the life of me. are you sure you didnt break a small spot weld? the bags ended up on my buddies vulcan..

p.s. nice color choice
    Hurray for the bumblebees! J/k. I picked up the last 2008 M50 at the stealership and was dismayed at first that it was yellow. It's since grown on me though and I love it! Uncommonly sporty colour on a cruiser.

Yeah, again, I didn't see any signs of welding around the nut, so it appeared to be mysteriously stuck on. If I really wanted them gone, I could try taking a Dremel to them, but I decided to ask here in case it was a common issue with a simple solution. There's such a wealth of knowledge and experience on this board, and as a newbie, I'm still a little nervous about experimenting. Were you unable to use the factory bolts for the saddle bags, fargoben?
    Last edited by izzyinthesky; 10-12-2008 at 09:11 PM.

Ads