Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    Victory Kingpin. Former 08 Black/Yellow M50

Cobra FI2000R settings

Have a Cobra FI2000R with V&H Straightshots... Wondering what the best setting is. Hearing a lot about being too lean or too rich. Want it to between that. I heard 1/3/5 is a good setting for high gears and 0/0/0 is good setting for good gas mileage. Any more input would be great.... Getting ready to install, hope to hear from you guys soon.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

In The Zone
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Yamaha Vstar 950
    OK, my bike has been on dyno with FI2000R-cobra classic slashcuts and hypercharger with stinger trap door
    1-1-4 was still slightly rich on the dyno
    when riding have found that to seem little lean
    set to 3-5-3 and was to rich(could see black smoke from the pipes

have settled on 2.5-4-2.5 (if im remebering correctly) and it seems to be alright now
    with the FI2000R you are pretty much gonna be rich, just a matter of how rich
    put it on and after while check your plugs and see what they look like, the plugs will tell the whole story

M50 Manual

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    -Benjamin Franklin-

Just Won't Go Away !
    Mine is set to 3.5 - 5.0 - 3.5 . I've put over 1000 miles on it with these settings. No smoke at all. Seems to be just right. I have V&H Cruzers & Thunder Round Air Kit.

Your going to have to take 1hr or so and adjust the settings & test ride your bike to see. Every bike is different.

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    Right now I have it on 1/3/5 just because someone else with the same set-up as mine.. Took a ride and it seemed ok.. 5th gear didn't wind out at all going 80MPH... Don't want it to rich though.. Had some black smoke right when I started it up but I'm pretty sure it had gone away after I rode for a few miles.. Going to read up a little and see exactly what the 3 different settings are for.

Just Won't Go Away !
    Quote Originally Posted by estes23 View Post
    Going to read up a little and see exactly what the 3 different settings are for.
    Good thinkin'! I assumed that you already did that. It's on the back side of the instructions that came with it. You don't want black smoke coming out at anytime.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50
    I've got a question, if you set your cobra to 0-0-0. Doesn't that mean that the cobra isn't tuning anything at all? And if so, isn't it there for no reason? I ask cuz when i was tuning mine for debaffled stock exhausts, i was tuning lower and lower and was going to get to 0-0-0. Ended up setting something higher just to set my mind at ease that i was actually using the cobra for something.

In The Zone
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Yamaha Vstar 950
    I think 0-0-0 is off, but im not positive

M50 Manual

-Benjamin Franklin-

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    Geez.... just got done lowering it to 0/0/0 and took it for a SHORT ride on the highway... Maybe a little less power but it's so hard to tell... I noticed at 1/3/5 it seemed to use up a lot of gas.. Now I'm totally lost on what to do if 000 is OFF. I'm guessing it not too rich though... Would it be too lean??? Im clueless on this.

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2008 VZ800/Z Black
    The fact is that the M runs rich at some RPM/throttle position combinations and runs lean at others. Where the bike runs rich, you need to reduce the amount of fuel in the mixture to achieve that optimal 14.1 parts air to 1 part fuel, and where it runs lean, you need to add fuel to achieve the 14.1:1 ratio. Power Commander maps are cool because you can see exactly what the device is doing to the air/fuel mixture at any combination of RPM and throttle position. Every single PC map I've seen has the PC removing fuel at some RPM/throttle position combinations (by as much as 30&#37 and adding fuel at others. The trouble with the Cobra and other devices is that they only allow you to add--not subtract--various amounts of fuel in the three broad RPM ranges represented by the three numbers you've all been discussing.

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    Who wants to buy a beautiful 08 M??? I'm going to go buy a motorcycle that already has this set up.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50
    Do we have a map or a dyno test which shows the M50 running without a cobra of PCIII, That way we can kinda see a trend. ie; which rpm band or phase of throttle movement the m50 runs rich/lean. That way we can make informed guesstimates when it comes to setting the cobra.

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2008 VZ800/Z Black
    All you gotta do is get a PCIII map for an M50 that's configured similar to yours. There are like 8 M50 PCIII maps on the PC website for various M50 configurations. Download the appropriate map and you can just read it. Where you see positive numbers, the bike is running too lean. The magnitude of the number tells you specifically how lean. Where you see negative numbers, the bike is running too rich, and magnitude of the number tells you specifically how rich. You can use this to determine which pots to set, and how high.

Obviously, where you see negative numbers on the PCIII map, you need to set the corresponding Cobra pot to zero. Where you see positive numbers, you can judge by the magnitude of those numbers how high to set the corresponding Cobra pot. For reference, numbers in the range of 25-30 on a PCIII map ought to translate to the highest Cobra pot setting, whatever that is (5 I think...).

In The Zone
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Yamaha Vstar 950
    Best way to actually see what the bike is doing is put it on a dyno-period
    everything else is just a guess
    and as nicocorea stated, the FI2000R only dumps fuel in, keeps it from being lean but the PCIII is better in it adds and removes fuel

M50 Manual

-Benjamin Franklin-

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Suzuki M90
    Quote Originally Posted by nicocorea View Post
    The fact is that the M runs rich at some RPM/throttle position combinations and runs lean at others. Where the bike runs rich, you need to reduce the amount of fuel in the mixture to achieve that optimal 14.1 parts air to 1 part fuel, and where it runs lean, you need to add fuel to achieve the 14.1:1 ratio. Power Commander maps are cool because you can see exactly what the device is doing to the air/fuel mixture at any combination of RPM and throttle position. Every single PC map I've seen has the PC removing fuel at some RPM/throttle position combinations (by as much as 30&#37 and adding fuel at others. The trouble with the Cobra and other devices is that they only allow you to add--not subtract--various amounts of fuel in the three broad RPM ranges represented by the three numbers you've all been discussing.
    Thats all correct....the PCIII, can remove fuel, and all the others cant, as for the 30% factor, its closer to 40% in alot of the rpm range... and the bike stops that shutter, when you roll on the throttle, from being so rich, and you get a smooth , hard accelerate.
    Email me or BURNCHASSIS...we have done alot of testing...on maps for the PCIII...and come up with some great combos...you wont belive how hard the M50 can accelerate.
    Last edited by 07M50Limited; 10-21-2008 at 10:59 PM.

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    will be trying 2.5/4/2.5 next... if that don't satisfy me I will be going back to 1/3/5... Want to hear more from you that have the Cobra FI2000R and YOUR settings.

Ads