Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    06 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    If done properly and you are on the compression stroke the valves are at rest before and after TDC on the compression stroke creating the gap, since the cam does not lift the rocker arm in turn depressing the valve. However if the piston is moving up on the exhaust stoke when it reaches TDC the valves are again at rest but only at TDC. The marks on the crank case are showing TDC I assume only once the piston reaches TDC after the compression stroke before entering the power stroke, but if it shows TDC when the piston is at TDC the two times it is there then you have the possibility of doing the adjustment when the piston is not on the compression stroke. To make it simple verify that the piston it TDC in any configuration the valves will be at rest.
    And confirm by moving the crank back and forth slightly to ensure the rocker does not slightly engage the valve, if the rocker engages the valve the feeler gauge will spring up due to it being squeezed (pressure). Hope you see were I am coming from if not then delete all information from your head and I apologize on taking you on this ride.
    explanation from another post same as yours just a little more in depth
    The ONLY guarantee against NOT Crashing a motorcycle is to NEVER get ON A motorcycle in the first place
    M50 Manual The Hideaway Underground

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50
    Thanks. Wish I had come across that when I first started the whole process. Also wish tje manual explained that too. Maybe it's considered common knowledge to most but for someone never having dealt with anything having to do with TDC telling them just to look for the marks is really misleading.

After tearing my bike apart 4 times and going by trial and error I was about to throw in the towel but I got it done and feel pretty good about myself if I may say so.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Dude....congrats on doing the job yourself. Nothing beats the feeling of accomplishment.
    Guess you're the new go-to-guy for valve issues.
    BLADE RUNNER
    "Ride, Eat, Sleep, Repeat"

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki M50
    Does the bike sound as it did before you did the adjustments or is it still sounding like a thousand mice typing away?

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50 Blue
    Im curious as to why you wanted to do the valve adjustment to begin with, your bike is a 2008, how many KM are on it? The M50 typically has this 'ticking' noise which is completely normal for the bike. My local dealer has advised that they have had almost no valve issues with the M50's and an adjustment typically does not need to be done until the 12,000km mark.
    06 Blue, debaffled, cwi 18" flamed backrest, MJ 2" Risers, Memphis Shades Slims.

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50
    answer to the sound question. Yes my bike sounds just like it did before. You can hear the valves but only if u put ur ear next to the cylinders otherwise it's a real light ticking which u can barely hear when idling.

As to why I checked them. Because the manual says to. It's the 600 mile check. I bought the bike used but previous owner only put 192miles on it so it was time for it service when I got it I 600.

I trust the manual more than a dealer. I would have them inspected at the manufacturers intervals at least.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    2006 M90 (Totalled)- See my farewell thread for details
    Good job doing it yourself, I've always taken my bikes in for that sort of thing, don't trust myself near the engine.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2008 black suzuki M50
    I cant seem to find this jpaige method, or maybe im just confused.... Im doing my valves real soon (for the first time) and want to be sure of everything. can someone post a link to it please?
    , 3" res tec drag pipes, PC3, 07m50 risers, debadged, mustang wide touring seat, Tornado Air Kit, Kurykyn Iso flame grips.

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50
    Well first make sure u find TDC on both cylinders and then check the valve clearances. They might not need adjustment. That was my problem and had to tear my bike apart 4 times. You will need feelers to check the clearances.
    If they do need adjustment you can use the jpaige method. All that is, is a mathematical method that tells you what the clearance is going to be just by knowing how much you've turned the adjustment screws. I have not done the calculations myself but I've used other's calculations and the results seem correct.

On the intake valves if you tighten the adjustment screws till they just touch the tappet and then loosen 1/4 turn it should give you a clearance of .004 in. On the exhaust loosen 1/2 a turn and that should give you .008.

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    06 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    I just don't see the need to do it so early this is not a HARLEY not bagging on them but come on guys this is a well built bike close to a Honda. IMHO and I have done the VA, it just does not need it, it is fun to do, and if you are certain you want it done, go ahead and do it yourself, we are here to help. Just set aside a good days work to do it depending on your mechanical ability. Good Luck.
    The ONLY guarantee against NOT Crashing a motorcycle is to NEVER get ON A motorcycle in the first place
    M50 Manual The Hideaway Underground

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki M50
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    I just don't see the need to do it so early this is not a HARLEY not bagging on them but come on guys this is a well built bike close to a Honda. IMHO and I have done the VA, it just does not need it, it is fun to do, and if you are certain you want it done, go ahead and do it yourself, we are here to help. Just set aside a good days work to do it depending on your mechanical ability. Good Luck.
    I agree! I have 2000kms (or apx 1250miles) and have never bothered to do the valves. Bike runs great and no issues. I honestly believe its an overkill to adjust the valves that early. Manufacture just puts it there so they have something to fall back on in case something DOES go wrong with the engine early on. I know many will debate this and prove how the valves were out of place after the adjustment......but I'm sure you'll have the same results if you were to adjust the valves on any other bike - and they dont have the VA as a requirement in the manual.

Just ride the bike and enjoy. See your local mechanic when you really need to.

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50
    k guys. Noone said that they have to be adjusted but they do have to be inspected as per manual. That means they may be ok and they might not be. I can't say if mine needed to be because I screwed up when I was inspecting them and in the end had to adjust them. Just because the bike runs fine doesn't mean the valves are ok. If they are tight you won't here anything. Actually the tighter they are the quieter the bike. So there is no way of knowing until you inspect. If you're waiting till you have problems it might be too late. Maybe an experienced mechanic can tell just by the sound that's great for him but since I don't want to spend the money (because he'll still charge you) I'd rather do it myself.

As far as other bikes if they don't have hydraulic valves they will also need to be inspected/adjusted. Actually last I checked the Yamaha/V-star first valve inspection is at 400miles even lower than the M's
    Last edited by suzukiM50; 04-30-2009 at 03:04 PM.

Ads