Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Final gear oil?

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard M50 2006

Final gear oil?

Hello,

Now that I switched from mineral to synthetic motor oil and I'm so happy about, I wonder what kind of final gear oil you guys use? I have always used Suzuki's shaft drive oil with no issues. Is there any better than this that could increase the protection level of my bike's transmission?
    Thanks!

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    83 Gl650I
    The engine and transmission use the same oil. When you change engine oil you are always changing the tranny oil too. Have you noticed that changing engine oil makes the tranny shift smoother and with less clunking. As for the final drive it is an entity of it's own and doesn't need to be changed as often. Lynda has Amsoil Severe service 75/90 in the diff/final drive of her bike. I know it works graet in cages so it should be more than adequate for the bike.

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    05 Black M50
    I got a bottle of 80w/90 at the parts store. I found a little pump deal that screws on to the top of the bottle with a hose (think it was in the marine section at Wal-Mart) and it makes it simple to add oil, couple of pumps and you're full. FWIW, you don't have to change the final drive as often as the oil, but I always change them together. It doesn't take much to fill it, so it's only costing a few cents each time and it's just an extra piece of mind for me.

2005 M50 Black: "Black Betty" John's Kit Forward Controls/Saddlemen Explorer/Kury Iso-Grips/Stiletto End Caps/Kury Throttle Boss/De-Paired/De-Badged/pac50t Naked Jug Kit/PCIII USB/Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns/Saddlemen Bags/Cobra Sissybar/Metz ME880's/Slipstreamer Windscreen/C50 mirrors Blacked Out: Headlight Bucket, Mirrors, Front Signals, Radiator Cover, Neck Covers, Speedo Cover, Tank Cowl, Fender Rails, Sissybar, Saddlebag Supports

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki S 50
    Try reading this. This is an awesome website. Motorcycle Shaft Drive Grease

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki DL1000
    I use Amsoil motorcycle 10W-40 for my oil changes. Vaguely recall reading on the bottle that it can be used as 80/90W gear oil. Am I nuts or do I remember correctly? Can I use it for the final drive oil?

edit:
    APPLICATIONS
    AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil is recommended for liquid or air-cooled 4-stroke engines. It meets SAE 80W/90, API GL-1 gear oil requirements and is recommended for transmissions on both 4- and 2-stroke motorcycles. AMSOIL MCF is recommended for Honda®, Kawasaki®, Yamaha®, Suzuki®, BMW®, Husqvarna®, Victory® and other motorcycles where 10W-40 or 20W-40 engine oils or SAE 80W/90, GL-1 gear oils are used. Not recommended where an API GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil is required.

-from Amsoil website
    Last edited by PerfectStranger; 06-08-2009 at 09:45 AM.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    M50 Bumblebee
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectStranger View Post
    APPLICATIONS
    AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil is recommended for liquid or air-cooled 4-stroke engines. .... Not recommended where an API GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil is required.

-from Amsoil website
    But our bikes require GL-4 or GL-5, so "NOT recommended" [for final gear] is what I read.
    Last edited by dgingrich; 06-08-2009 at 09:47 AM.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki DL1000
    Thanks.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki DL1000
    So I changed my final drive oil last night. No big deal. Noticed that the drain plug has a magnet in the end that faces the oil. Used a rag to clean it of metal shavings. No excessive amount or large pieces. It would be easy to not notice that the magnet was there at all but I've used a magnetic drain plug on a previous bike and this reminded me of that.

Give yours a look next time you change out the final drive oil.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Victory Cross Roads
    Hey stranger, how much gear oil did you use. I could only get a little over 4oz in there.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki DL1000
    Sorry, didn't measure it. Held the bike upright and filled to the bottom of the threads...hurriedly screwed on the cap.

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2006 M50
    I've used Redline brand gear oil in several GL4 transmissions, it has worked wonders on the quality of shifting and performance of the syncro's. With that in mind I am going to try their 75w90 GL5 gear oil in the rear end of my bike.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard M50 2006
    I was thinking to use this the next time I change the final gear oil:
    Castrol Syntec Gear Oil
    What do you think?

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    2004 Yamaha Warrior XV1700
    For best results you will want all of the air out of the final drive.
    use that pump,but hook it to the bottom drain plug filling from the bottom up.
    You will loose a little when you replace the plug,but that will force all of the air out of the top.
    Add a little more in the top to replace what came out with the plug/hose swap.
    CS

Ads