Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki DL1000

M50 HK Stripper thoughts

I bought these pipes because I liked the black ceramic coating. They're pretty darn loud and the baffles aren't replaceable. They say that the baffles are welded in.

I was riding this weekend with a C90 and he had HK pipes too. Also had the end caps and a 'homemade' noise baffle. We were chatting and I asked him about it. Said that he went to hardware store and picked up a drain trap...you know, the thing that catches all the bits of food so they don't go down the drain. Trap is what I call it, maybe there's a proper name. Anyways, the end caps for the pipes keep the trap inside. His looked pretty 'airy' like he enlarged the holes somewhat. Now I didn't hear his pipes before his 'baffle' but they sound pretty toned down with it.

So last night I ordered the chrome end caps for my pipes. Had been considering getting them anyways just to accent the pipes. Planning on trying his method and seeing what happens.

Anything I should consider or be careful with? I plan on going with as little restriction as possible to begin with and see what the impact is on (subjective) volume from the pipes.

Just so you know, stock air filter and no fuel processor. Bike seems to run fine without needing either of these upgrades.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    05 Black M50
    I remember seeing a thread somewhere on the volusiarider site with people using the drain traps on their bikes....might be worth looking into for more info.

2005 M50 Black: "Black Betty" John's Kit Forward Controls/Saddlemen Explorer/Kury Iso-Grips/Stiletto End Caps/Kury Throttle Boss/De-Paired/De-Badged/pac50t Naked Jug Kit/PCIII USB/Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns/Saddlemen Bags/Cobra Sissybar/Metz ME880's/Slipstreamer Windscreen/C50 mirrors Blacked Out: Headlight Bucket, Mirrors, Front Signals, Radiator Cover, Neck Covers, Speedo Cover, Tank Cowl, Fender Rails, Sissybar, Saddlebag Supports

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    '06 M50 Boulevard
    I've got the strippers on the Batbike and did the crumb cup mod. The pipes were loud but I could deal with that. What i couldn't deal with is the spitting and popping in the exhaust from the unburned fuel igniting in the pipes. The cups increased the back pressure and all that stopped. They are easy to install - follow the directions on the volusia forum for "crumb cup mod". Except use the Danco 1 7/8" cup from home depot or Lowes - they fit perfect. I used high temp silicone to hold mine in. any ?s pm me.
    Why do I have to 'Press 1 for English'?

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki DL1000
    Excellent information and thank you sir!

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki DL1000
    I put the endcaps on. Took five minutes. Have to go get the crumb cups tomorrow evening. Here's some pics of the end caps in case anybody was considering buying them. I think they add just a nice balancing touch of chrome. I'm not a big chrome guy, believe me. I imagine not many M riders are or they wouldn't have bought this bike (if it's their only one).

M-J Member of the Month!!
    My Bike(s)
    2006 GSXR750
    Those pipes look great on there and I like the chrome caps.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2003 Suzuki SV1000S
    I think they add a nice touch of chrome to an already bad a$$ set of pipes.
    If It Ain't A Liter, It Ain't Enough.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki DL1000
    Thanks guys.

Kickstand Operator
    i have the same pipes. I ask for the price and told me ..150$ each ring!!...so i didt buy them, of course...

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki DL1000
    They were pricey but didn't cost me that much! $140 for both rings...DennisKirk.com

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2008 M50 Black and Grey
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver69 View Post
    I've got the strippers on the Batbike and did the crumb cup mod.
    Strippers don't have removable baffles do they? Mine don't.
    HK Strippers - Black : Cobra FI2000r : Hellcat Shield : OEM Backrest : JK Fwd Control Kit : Modified C50 Bars : Blue LED Lighting

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    '06 M50 Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilithon View Post
    Strippers don't have removable baffles do they? Mine don't.
    No, they don't. I installed the cups right into the pipe. The lip of the cup sits right on the end of the welded baffle. the one thing I can add about this mod is that it took some of the low tone out of the pipe. It quiets them enough that I can talk to the wife behind me up to about 50mph and slip by the cop shop un-noticed. But still enough there to bark when I get on it!

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2008 M50 Black and Grey
    Got Pics?
    HK Strippers - Black : Cobra FI2000r : Hellcat Shield : OEM Backrest : JK Fwd Control Kit : Modified C50 Bars : Blue LED Lighting

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki DL1000
    Yeah, post some pics if you could MacGyver. Thanks in advance.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    '06 M50 Boulevard
    Here are some pics. Sorry it took so long - busy painting the house!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M50 HK Stripper thoughts-batbike-002.jpg   M50 HK Stripper thoughts-batbike-003.jpg   M50 HK Stripper thoughts-batbike-004.jpg  

Ads