M50 oil weight - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: M50 oil weight

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki S 50
    If it's a motorcycle specific oil you should be OK. Next time I would go with a 10w-40. The Suzuki manuals I have seen all recommend 10w-40.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50
    Yep, I got a 10W-40 weight. Only thing I didn't find on the bottle is anything about the wet clutch plate compatibility. I did see a statement on Valvoline oil at the NAPA store, and saw it on the Mobil 1, but didn't see it on the Castrol 4T Motorcycle oil. I just want to put in what will work all around.

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    '08 M50 Limited: Black/Silver

oil level

Yes, the manual recommends 10w-40 plus alternatives if that is not available to you. It also says to avoid what it calls energy saving oils.

What about oil level? Just got the bike about one month ago from private seller. Don't know why I didn't check the level until now...to excited to just get riding, I guess .

Anyway...oil completely fills up the indicator window...it does not stop between the low and full marks. I'm thinking this could be a bad thing...

Thoughts?
    • 2008 M50 Limited, 2009-2010...until a jerk truck driver rear ended me and totaled it...and almost me: Jeff/Ken's Spacer Risers, Flanders Super Glide handlebars #650-08231, Shaved down stock seat, Mustang fender bib (on/off), OEM Luggage Rack minus sissy bar; Blacked out: Linbar, PIAA mulit fit lights on fender, speedo, headlight rim.
    • 1999 Virago 250, 2007-09 (first of my own, sold): Symtec grip heaters.
    • First riding experience: Honda mini bike (50cc?) on my cousin's farm...I was maybe 8 or 10 years old.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    2004 Yamaha Warrior XV1700
    be sure the bike is level,and if it is over the window ,that is bad...you can have oil splatter...filling the pair valves,and or slipping or excess stress on the clutch.
    Best to drain some,if not all and change it so you know what you have.
    CS

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    '08 M50 Limited: Black/Silver
    Yep it was level...had spouse sit on it to hold it upright. Looks like I'll be calling the dealer for that 4k service sooner than expected.

No that I think about it, a couple times the bike felt like it was "pulling" was I'm riding along. I thought maybe it was an inadvertent slip of the throttle on my part. But I think I finally noticed it's NOT me. Hasn't done in a lot, just a few times. As a teen I once ran my Camera without oil (unbeknownst to me) on a road trip. It was kind of doing the pulling thing...waaaay worse than the M...almost feeling like it was going to cut off. Finally pulled over and discovered no oil...So maybe that's what made me think to check the M.
    • 2008 M50 Limited, 2009-2010...until a jerk truck driver rear ended me and totaled it...and almost me: Jeff/Ken's Spacer Risers, Flanders Super Glide handlebars #650-08231, Shaved down stock seat, Mustang fender bib (on/off), OEM Luggage Rack minus sissy bar; Blacked out: Linbar, PIAA mulit fit lights on fender, speedo, headlight rim.
    • 1999 Virago 250, 2007-09 (first of my own, sold): Symtec grip heaters.
    • First riding experience: Honda mini bike (50cc?) on my cousin's farm...I was maybe 8 or 10 years old.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50
    I ended up getting the Lucas Oil Semi-Synthetic 10W-40. That should be good I imagine.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki DL1000
    Can use a turkey baster to get some oil out.

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    83 Gl650I
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectStranger View Post
    Can use a turkey baster to get some oil out.
    Try loosening the oil filter and draining some out. Be sure to retighten the filter when done. I think I would be doing my own oil changes before going back to the dealer. Not really the proper weight oil and overfilling are both a No No in my books. The "M" is really easy to change oil on and the experience will be good for you.

TurtleWax Taster
    My Bike(s)
    2002 ZX12R
    Could be as simple as barely over....a few degrees leaned to the left or right will create the appearance of too full or low. I would just put a bucket under it, loosen the drain plug and allow it to drain for just a quick half second....button her up and check the glass again. Litterally will take less then 5 minutes from start to finish and can be drained on the kick stand.
    Currnently in love with my ZX9 but will never forget the 05 M50 that filled the garage.

TurtleWax Taster
    My Bike(s)
    2002 ZX12R
    Quote Originally Posted by vtbme View Post
    Yep it was level...had spouse sit on it to hold it upright. Looks like I'll be calling the dealer for that 4k service sooner than expected.

No that I think about it, a couple times the bike felt like it was "pulling" was I'm riding along. I thought maybe it was an inadvertent slip of the throttle on my part. But I think I finally noticed it's NOT me. Hasn't done in a lot, just a few times. As a teen I once ran my Camera without oil (unbeknownst to me) on a road trip. It was kind of doing the pulling thing...waaaay worse than the M...almost feeling like it was going to cut off. Finally pulled over and discovered no oil...So maybe that's what made me think to check the M.
    It's likely slipping as a result of the incorrect oil allowing the clutches to slip when the throttles applied. Feels like it's able to rev quick but the bike doesn't feel like it's increasing speed at the same rate as the engine is reving?
    Currnently in love with my ZX9 but will never forget the 05 M50 that filled the garage.

My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50
    I went to using regular Castrol 4T four stroke motorcycle oil 20w/50 after clutch slippage using just semi-synthetic. It's just too slippery for an M50. Mine is an 06 with only 3600 miles. I strongly recommend to anyone using anything above an "sg" rating oil to stop and to try this oil. You Will realize the affore mentioned clutch slippage. I read an article on it, swapped to this Castrol 4T 20w/50 immediatly after and realized it ALL to well. Use what you want, but this is what you need. Especially considering a hotter climate @ the fact that the 2nd cylinder sits behind the 1st and kinda just bakes there. So the 20w/50 weight is what I'll stick to. Jus sayin. But it is a fact. Good Luck to All!
    Sneikz likes this.

My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50
    The non synthetic Castrol 4T 20w/50 motorcycle oil is what I use now in all my bikes. At $5 a qt for castrol. U Cant beat it.. or the performance!
    Sneikz likes this.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    the manufacturer weight is almost always 10w-40. as this covers most people. in extremely hot or cold environs you will want to adjust the weight.

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2006 M50
    Two year old thread?

My Bike(s)
    2009 Suzuki VZ800Z Boulevard M50 Limited ,2015 Honda CBR 500R
    You DO NOT have to buy Motorcycle oil for your bike and can use Normal Vehicle oils of the same grade instead , Its been Debunked in the Lab by Smarter Men that sell the oil , its a scam that makes the Motorcyclist pay more than twice the amount for the same oil , The Practice should be outlawed ,( the Practice of overcharging ) They can call it what they like , just don't call it different and charge for what its not ,,End Of Rant : )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links