Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Silver M50
    I just replaced my rear tire. That would have been a GREAT time to do this fix when the bike was apart. On my bike I needed to loosen the exhaust pipes to drive the rear axel out of the wheel bearings. There was some corrosion on the axel where it went thru the rear brake housing.

Roger L

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2005 M50 Black
    Wow....I guess I need to do this as well. I will be looking for your how to on the boot install and all that stuff. I never thought about it possibly locking up at 75...that makes me nervous. Time to get the tools out!!!!!

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki DL1000
    Roger,

If you think you might do the inspection, let me know. I'll help out in any way possible if we can check mine also. Heck, I'll pick up two of the boots he's referring to.

Matt

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    M50
    If what you say is true, and others also confirm the shaft has not been greased, we can get suzuki to do a recall, and do it at the dealers expense.

Want's A New Title
    My Bike(s)
    2012 Yamaha XT 250 (dual sport)
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8stdane View Post
    If what you say is true, and others also confirm the shaft has not been greased, we can get suzuki to do a recall, and do it at the dealers expense.
    Bingo!

That would work great.

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    2004 Yamaha Warrior XV1700
    I've looked for a "main" phone number ,but i can not seem to locate.
    I'll call them and start a ball,see if we can get it to roll.
    CS

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50 Black; 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750; 2003 Yamaha XT225
    Great news that you discovered the problem burnchassis and even better that you're willing to share it for the benefit of all.

I haven't looked at the process of disassembly yet, so the next paragraph may show a bunch of ignorance.

I await the idiot-proof "how to", but I'd like to ask if there are any other parts that would need to be ordered along with the boot. What I mean is...in order to get in there and service it a lot of things have to be removed before you get that boot. Are there parts that need to be replaced due to removing stuff in order to get in there? For example, if you have to remove the pipes, you'd probably want new gaskets. Are there gaskets, o-rings, crush washers/seals that need to be replaced when removing all the ancillary components?

Sorry for repeating my self, but I didn't want to be misunderstood.

Thanks 1,000,000 for passing along this information.
    Experience is the comb that Life gives you after you've lost your hair.

2007 M50 Black - Hard Krome 3" Res-Tech Exhaust ~ Ken Cooley Chin Spoiler ~ Kury Hypercharger ~ PCIII USB ~ S.S. Brake Line ~ 1" Riser Spacers ~ ISO Grips w/Throttle Bosses & Transformer Endcaps ~ ISO Pegs, Shifter & Brake Cover ~ Willie & Max Raptor Saddlebags ~ Debadged ~ Iridium Plugs ~ Factory Wire Rack, Tank Bib & Case Guards ~ Black Vinyl Wrapped Forks ~ Smoked Lenses ~ Flex 3 led plate frame

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    2004 Yamaha Warrior XV1700
    I have not gotten to the internals yet,I just ordered parts today so within a week I should have them,and will gladly post a HOW TO.
    I was told I needed no special tools to do this.
    If your just going to grease it ,no,you should only need the boot...again I'll know more when I tear mine down fully.
    AND
    You shouldn't have to remove your pipes to remove the rear wheel.
    If your axle bolt is froze in there..just keep twisting it out,it will come eventually.
    CS

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50 Bumblebee
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8stdane View Post
    Should be on Suzuki's shoulders to correct
    Factory tall backrest, MC Enterprises crash bar, Slipstreamer Falcon windshield, John's Kit 2 1/2" lowering kit. Ride Safe!____________________________________________

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Boulevard M50
    To add a bit to this discussion, I removed the rear drive to lube the forward splines on the drive shaft just before a trip to Alaska two years ago. NO trace of any grease, but thankfully NO rust or wear either. Slathering the splines with Moly 60 paste I was ready to reassemble. But what about the front U-joint?

Took the swing arm off to access this part and found that the internal splines were dry on both front and rear sides. Lots of work, but after using lots more Moly 60 paste all was reassembled and the trip went just fine.

Later I learned that the rear end of the drive shaft, where it enters the rear drive, has a need for grease too. Suzuki recommends a new seal if you remove the drive shaft -- you'll need a circlip pliers too. After checking this I found it well lubricated with lots of grease and NO rust showing at all. Still, I cleaned it out and using Moly 60 paste again I repacked it and put in a new seal. All is well and I feel confident I'll have no problems for a long while.

Someone at Suzuki should have their fingernails torn out with pliers for this oversight at the factory level. Better yet would be castration with a dull hacksaw blade!

Ray Nielsen, in Minneapolis and sitting out rain and tornados today!

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    07 C90
    Burn , called the shop ,told your situation, he says they checked that and I'm not so lucky .
    Who gave me these damn directions?

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    M50
    Burn you are my mech. The great info keeps comming and comming. Sorry your bike had to break to find this out but I thank you very much for sharing the info, so the rest of us can take note. I would have ended up spending big bucks and now I know how to prevent it. Thanks again man.

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Silver M50
    Burn:
    I think that you bought the wrong nut and "O" ring. I found a parts list for the C-50 on the C-50 forum. I have listed the link below. I hope that I am wrong but I think that you need "O" ring #7 and nut #11. Your parts list shows Nut #16 and "O" ring number 32. Look at page 31 on the .PDF

VolusiaRiders.com :: View topic - K1 thru K5 parts break down on PDF

Roger L

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Silver M50
    Burn:
    One other thing I do not see the boot that you need to remove to get to this. I looked thru the parts list and thru the manual and I do not see the boot. Could you take a photo of this boot. The boot is not on your parts list either.
    Also from looking at the drawing in the manual this part will not fail by locking up. It will fail by stripping off like yours did and freewheeling. The splines are basically "locked up" by design.

Roger L

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki C50T

final drive

Evening Burn

do you know if this is an issue isolated to the "M" and if it affected later year models. I have a '07 C50T with 22,000 miles, so far no trouble of any kind...other than those pesky tires wearing out...HAHA
    It's not what you ride...It's that you ride that counts. Really

Great Deals on Satalite TV--Save $5 per month over buying direct from provider!!! http://www.vmcsatellite.com/?aid=311944

Ads