Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Just tore my M50 apart last night to inspect. I have 32K on the clock and I am the 3rd owner at this point. It was in great shape. I got lucky. I applied more grease and buttoned her back up. Took about an hour to tear down and put back together. Once I finished, I saw the new seal I forgot to put on sitting right next to me. Took me about 40min the second time around.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Victory Cross Roads
    That is me everytime I go to work on something. I always leave out something and have to take apart and put back together again. Good to hear your driveline is doing fine. I would check atleast once a year, especially if you drive in the occasional rain.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Boulevard M50
    Ok I'm gonna wake up this thread one more time. Sorry guys. But I got my 2007 M50 last fall, and I'm gonna replace the rear tire in the next couple weeks so I thought I'd check this out while I was at it. I found the oil seal and stuff in page 4-11 of the manual, part 23. However, on bikebandit.com (is there a better/cheaper place to order these parts?), the diagram of the final drive is different. Can someone tell me if the parts I'm thinking of ordering are the correct ones? This page has the diagram, and I'm thinking the oil seal I want is item #39 in that diagram. I was thinking of just getting numbers 38, 39, and 40. Are there other O-rings I should replace? Item #13 maybe? Or maybe part #7? Just not sure. Also, anyone have a link to the proper grease to use? I saw multiple kinds mentioned in theses threads. I'm a saturday mechanic at best, but I just want to make sure I'm doing it with all the right stuff.
    Let's see if I can post the image here from bikebandit:
    ATTENTION ALL M50 OWNERS! My issue resolved! FIX YOURS NOW B4 IT'S TO LATE!-0_0.png
    Ok well that's stupid, it cuts off the very part you need. Just use the link and you can see it at bikebandit.
    Lol well here's the part it cut off it helps anyone:
    ATTENTION ALL M50 OWNERS! My issue resolved! FIX YOURS NOW B4 IT'S TO LATE!-1_2.png
    Edit: The diagram at bikebandit does seem to make more sense to me. In the manual, it looks like the seal goes on the engine side of the shaft. In the diagram at bike bandit, it is appropriately on the wheel side.
    Last edited by paqman; 02-07-2013 at 02:29 PM.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Victory Cross Roads
    It is part # 39 on the diagram. If you read through this entire thread then you will see plenty of pictures of the seal. I would just go to your local zuki shop and get the seal. Not much of a price difference and you know for sure your getting the right part. The grease to use is also mentioned in this thread multiple times. Just re-read the thread until you feel comfortable with what you need to do.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Boulevard M50
    Quote Originally Posted by TNM50 View Post
    It is part # 39 on the diagram. If you read through this entire thread then you will see plenty of pictures of the seal. I would just go to your local zuki shop and get the seal. Not much of a price difference and you know for sure your getting the right part. The grease to use is also mentioned in this thread multiple times. Just re-read the thread until you feel comfortable with what you need to do.
    Well I'd read the thread a couple times, and could never quite nail it down. (it is 25 pages by the way lol) But searching now again I do see burnchassis saying it is #39. My bad. However, the grease is all over the place. Like I said, I'm a saturday mechanic at best, so I don't have anything to go on with this stuff, I just wanted to make sure I get the right stuff. Most of the posts just say "grease". The ones that get more specific talk mostly about marine grease, "grease that is for a boat trailer", or water proof grease. Ok, so we're supposed to use some sort of marine water proof grease. I was just asking if anyone had a link to a specific product I can look at. Something like this? This is my first bike, never worked on a bike before, but I'll dive into any project given the right info. Just getting my ducks in a row.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Boulevard M50
    So I know I haven't ordered anything yet, but I've got some time on my hands today, and we can't ride here for at least a few more weeks anyway due to snow, so I took out the final drive today. I haven't been able to get the oil seal off yet, but here's a pic of it before I take it off. It leaked quite a bit of dark rusty water and it looks pretty bad to me. Hopefully inside the seal it looks better, but I'm betting not. Good thing I'm checking it now. Here's a pic: (sorry, can't get the pic to display unless you click on it. still trying to find a better photo host.)
    20130208_125435.jpg
    Last edited by paqman; 02-08-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50
    That doesn't look very promising, but it's the inside that counts...good luck.
    I'll be doing this on my spare final drive soon.
    2k8 SE, 2k5 Red Parts, Mustang Vintage Wide Seat, Suzuki OEM Passenger Floorboards, 28" Drag Bars, Ken's 1" Spacers, 2nd Gen Chin Spoiler, Undertail Eliminator Kit, Relocated Turn Signals and Tag, Morton's Violators, K&N Drop In, PC-V retrofit, De-Paired, Custom Headlight, Blacking out the Chrome, Found better brakes - just have to get them on!!!

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Boulevard M50
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
    That doesn't look very promising, but it's the inside that counts...good luck.
    I'll be doing this on my spare final drive soon.
    Yeah, I did see some people posting pics that looked alot like mine, but the inside was fine. Here's hoping that's the case.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Boulevard M50
    Well crap, my final drive looks like garbage. Here are the "before" pics. (Sorry still figuring out the picture system. Can't get it to show the thumbnails) Before meaning before I've gotten a chance to clean them out. It's dark so they're poorly lit, but as you can see they have a ton of rust and water, and I think significant wear on the splines and teeth. In the morning I'm going to try to clean it all off and see how it looks. But as of right now, it looks like I may be replacing more than just the seal and grease. So glad I did this. So sad I did this.

Attached Images
    Last edited by paqman; 02-08-2013 at 10:09 PM.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Boulevard M50
    I'll probably wait till I clean it up a bit and see how it looks, but I'm thinking of just picking up this entire assembly from ebay. It looks much cleaner than mine. I know that you can't tell until you open up the seal, but isn't the fact that there's no visible rust on the visible parts of the assembly make it seem that it was generally better sealed in the first place. Agree? At least it seems that most of the pics I've seen in this thread that were rust free on the outside, were also pretty good looking on the inside.

I would order another seal and take it out to have a look when I get it just to be sure, but I'm thinking it's a good bet. It's $170 just for the shaft from bikebandit anyway. I think for $170 for this whole assembly is a good deal (assuming it's in good shape inside, and there's no way the seller would know)

Thoughts?

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Victory Cross Roads
    I'm not sure what seal you are talking about when you mention "opening it up". From your photos you have already got the seal off you were originally talking about. The teeth appear to be still in decent shape. I would just clean everything up really well, put some grease in there, replace with new seal and go for a ride.

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50
    Yeah there is a bunch of junk in there, but clean it up first. The teeth on the shaft look ok. Clean it up and see how the parts mate together. If it seems ok still grease it liberally and give it a go.

What kind of grease did you go with?
    Last edited by Pheonix; 02-09-2013 at 06:20 AM.
    2k8 SE, 2k5 Red Parts, Mustang Vintage Wide Seat, Suzuki OEM Passenger Floorboards, 28" Drag Bars, Ken's 1" Spacers, 2nd Gen Chin Spoiler, Undertail Eliminator Kit, Relocated Turn Signals and Tag, Morton's Violators, K&N Drop In, PC-V retrofit, De-Paired, Custom Headlight, Blacking out the Chrome, Found better brakes - just have to get them on!!!

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Boulevard M50
    Quote Originally Posted by TNM50 View Post
    I'm not sure what seal you are talking about when you mention "opening it up". From your photos you have already got the seal off you were originally talking about. The teeth appear to be still in decent shape. I would just clean everything up really well, put some grease in there, replace with new seal and go for a ride.
    Sorry, when i was talking about opening it up I was referring to the part on ebay I was considering buying. If I bought it I would open that one up as well to make sure there is grease in that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix
    Yeah there is a bunch of junk in there, but clean it up first. The teeth on the shaft look ok. Clean it up and see how the parts mate together. If it seems ok still grease it liberally and give it a go.

What kind of grease did you go with?

Well if you think the teeth look ok I'll give a shot cleaning it today and see how it goes. But there's still some part of me that wants to just fork out the $170 for the peace of mind to have a clean shiny final drive. I know, that's assuming the one on ebay is clean and shiny, but it looks like it is. From what I've seen on here, the ones that have rust issues under the seal also look bad on the outside. But it could just mean it hasn't seen water and there's still no grease in there. Still, pop some grease in there and it would be better than the one I've got. I dunno, I'll clean it up and we'll see. As far as the grease, I dunno, Autozone has about 6 or 7 different kinds, they all seem about the same. I assume any one of them would work?

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Boulevard M50
    Well I did the best I could cleaning it up, but couldn't get it clean enough to take a good pic. But I was able to get a pretty good look at a couple of the splines, and honestly, they look to me about the same as burnchassis' did in the first post (this is burnchassis' pic):

The teeth on the shaft look ok, but they have dug in pretty hard on the splines and formed some pretty strong indentations. I don't feel comfortable putting this thing back on my bike. And I also don't feel mechanically confident enough to buy new parts and rebuild the one I've got. I think I'm going to gamble with the one on ebay. It looks pretty clean, and it would be an easy swap. Here it is:
    Suzuki VZ800 M50 Marauder Rear Wheel Final Drive | eBay
    I think all I would have to do if I bought this one is pull the seal off and inspect it and grease if necessary. And maybe change the final gear oil.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Victory Cross Roads
    It's your bike and if you don't feel comfortable then replace the part. The one on ebay has been put in a parts cleaner and a new seal has been put on because everything just looks to clean. I would pull the shaft seal and check out the insides before you put it on just to make sure it does not have rust problems.

Ads