Motorcycle Forum banner

ATTENTION ALL M50 OWNERS! My issue resolved! FIX YOURS NOW B4 IT'S TO LATE!

176K views 427 replies 102 participants last post by  Aussie Steve 
#1 · (Edited)
Then please call this number 714-572-1490 (SUZUKI HQ) ,and complain like I did to make the report,but be sure your stuff is rusted before you complain.

I HIGHLY suggest everyone lubes the rear drive of their 50.Do it now in 20 minutes ,or do it later ,and wait for weeks for parts.
Remove the final drive,(via my video)set your drive on the ground...shaft facing up..then take your hand and smack the end of the shaft compressing the spring somewhat fast..If rust comes out your in trouble,cut that boot off and lube that %%%% up or you will be like me ,and Spikes.
My issues is not an internal transmission issue,when in fact it was the rear drive.
I took it off,but I didnt take it apart to look inside I didn't want to cut that rubber seal off (This lesson cost me $83.14:eek:oops:) The propeller shaft,and gear were mush inside...seems odd no metal came out on the magnet when I drained the oil.But anyways....1 more week for parts,and $175.00 (overnight shipping),and I'll be on my M again.
I told my wife I can make it to the strip next Saturday!...If looks could kill lol.
SPIKES!!! DOUBLE CHECK YOUR FINAL DRIVES BRO!!!
I'm a happy camper today.:mrgreen:
Here is a parts list of what I need.
CS

MFG ITEM QTY PRICE TOTAL
SUZUKI WASHER, DRIVE SHAFT for 2005 SUZUKI VZ800
09160-16029 1 $2.42 $2.42
SUZUKI SEAL, FINAL DRIVEN GEAR OIL L for 2005 SUZUKI VZ800
09283-38009 1 $6.89 $6.89
SUZUKI NUT for 2005 SUZUKI VZ800
09159-10026 1 $2.87 $2.87
SUZUKI O RING (D:2.4,ID:17.8) for 2005 SUZUKI VZ800
09280-18004 1 $2.39 $2.39
SUZUKI .COUPLING, PROPELLER SHAFT for 2005 SUZUKI VZ800
27172-38A00 1 $25.89 $25.89
SUZUKI SHAFT, PROPELLER for 2005 SUZUKI VZ800
27151-41F00 1 $91.38 $91.38
SUZUKI SPRING for 2005 SUZUKI VZ800
09440-18019 1 $1.25 $1.25
SUZUKI OIL SEAL (28.4X48X15) for 2005 SUZUKI VZ800
09283-30051 1 $4.90 $4.90
SUZUKI .CIRCLIP for 2005 SUZUKI VZ800
09381-40003 1 $2.15 $2.15
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $15.00
Total: $155.14

See less See more
#66 ·
Contacted Suzuki HQ 714-572-1490

I called them ,and they tried to argue this was an isolated incident.
Told me I was out of warranty and it wasn't covered.I told him I didnt care about a warranty,I was letting them know they had a defective part before someone dies.
He checked his records ,and told me there are 3 other reported cases of this.
Then told me I needed to have an authorized dealer send in a report.
So I call Jim at Suzuki,and asked him again if there was any way possible this could be my fault.No was the answer..he told me it is a 100% sealed unit with no possible maintenance except the cutting ,and replacing of the oil seal.
So I asked him to go to bat for us,and he said HELL YES I WILL!
Now my friend Jim at my local Suzuki shop is going to bat for us,he agrees 100% someone could die from this problem.
The report is being made today,he told me he will call me back with the information he receives.
I encourage everyone to check their stuff out asap,and if needed take it to your dealer so they can report it.
Then please call this number 714-572-1490 ,and complain like I did to make the report,but be sure your stuff is rusted before you complain.
The ball is now rolling!
CS

#69 · (Edited)
That doesn't make sense. I'll be greasing mine for sure this winter on the bike's down time. How did you go about greasing the U-joint? I've never greased one without a zerk fitting.

Thanks for the additional pictures. Now i understand why the swing arm needs to be removed.

I'm curious if other shaft driven bikes have this similar issue with dry parts?

#72 ·
Well, do a little studying of BBcode and create a nicely formatted index of your stuff like Diamond Jim did. We'll put it somewhere. On a marble pedestal, perhaps? ;-)

#73 ·
Excellent vids burnchassis. :bows:

It's a shame that such a thing had to happen to you for this issue to be discovered.

#74 ·
My M50 already has over 12,000 miles on it. Is it past the point where if this was going to be a problem it would have happened already. I just really don't want to mess with things.

#75 ·
Well you can look at it like that ,but the reality of it seems to be 1 of 2 things....you can mess with it now for a little $ ,or mess with it later for big $....or i guess you hope it becomes a recall.
CS

#77 ·
I hope for a recall, but will not rely on it. This winter the bike will be torn down and inspected. It's like burn said, as long as you have time, you can do it. Cutting that seal off may be a bit irritating, but it can't be that bad. I can't wait for the how to video when Burn gets all his parts to put it back together. Should be good!

#81 ·
Question 1:
This video here, is this what's directly behind the oil seal you had to cut off?

Question 2: (or is this question 2 & 3??)
That nut with the tab you cut off, will we all have to replace that as well? Or is bending the tab out fine so that we can bend it back in upon assembly?

#80 ·
I think one point to remember is that if you take the bike to a mechanic (dealer or other) they CANNOT inspect this problem without disassembly. It must be torn apart to discover the rust or dry assembly, which they should be able to price out before they begin. If they tell you it looked ok without disassembly, move on to a more reputable mechanic. I think in every case, we should take pictures, document our cost to have this done or even if we do it ourselves, and go after Suzuki for reinbursement, and report the defect as burnchassis did.

#82 ·
Removing that nut is only needed if replacing a bad gear or needing to go further into the drive.
If your just looking to grease/inspect,just buy that oil seal,and maybe those o-rings,just to be safe.
Your supposed to be able to bend that tab out of the way,and maybe reuse it ,but i didn't mess with it.

On another note ...I'm expecting the UPS truck any second with my drive parts!!!!
I'm dyin over here!:lol4:
I'll take video in full of the reassembly.
CS

#85 · (Edited)
I AM BACK ON THE ROAD!!
Videos to come later...You all know what time it is!
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Check out this pic of new stuff vs old stuff...can you tell which is which??
CS

#86 · (Edited)
Please don't laugh at my red-neck-ish ways to do things:mrgreen:.
I'll tell you all right now I have no torque wrench.I suggest anyone who does this to this extent use 1.
Any questions,hit me up.
Workin on video now

CS

#88 ·
Great news that you're back on the road (with a lot more knowledge of the bike too). I need to wait until I get home from work to watch the vids (youtube is blocked here at work - for good reason :) ).

#90 ·
So what exactly do I tell the dealer

Wow - pretty incredible! Wish we were closer...I'd gladly pay you the $78/hr to check mine.

So, I've had my '08 for about one month; has about 3800 miles on it. Bought it used from a private seller and haven't taken it to the dealer yet for the once over. Was thinking about doing that soon and maybe having them do the 4k service. After that I need to try changing my own oil, but I don't have garage, jack, stand, etc.

Main questions:
Should I go ahead and have them check this?
If so, what exactly do I need to tell the dealer and request of them?
Should I go to Suzuki dealer so they can document? I've been pretty happy with dealership I used for my Virago 250...but they're Kawi/Yamaha dealer. They do work on most major models though.

#91 ·
Yes all my parts were correct.
What should you tell the dealer?
It is documented at Suzuki now ,so they should be able to call ,and see what my shop said about it ,or tell them....The rear end of the drive shaft where it meets the primary final drive gear,behind the 1st oil seal is what needs to be checked.
or
Got a printer? print out the pic above that shows the new/old parts.They will for sure be able to run with it from there.
I'm having more trouble uploading videos then rebuilding the final drive...lol now my camera went dead,so the videos will have to be tomorrow.
CS

#92 ·
Oh - and if there's a recall...do they fund owners via the VIN number? Just wondering since I'm the third owner and only the first owner purchased from the dealer.

#94 ·
Hello All, Burnchasis, you ARE the man. Great work!! I do have BAD news for 2006 M50 owners. My bike is proof that 2006 bikes have this problem too. It may only be the early run of 2006 that have this problem, but my bike is number 00747 for 2006. (This happened last September at 13.5 K miles as I have almost 19K on the bike now.) The bike is always stored when not ridden, but I do get caught in the rain often. Anyway, the extended warranty covered it.
The moral of the story is to take this warning seriously as I ended up being stranded about 20 miles from the house at 11:30 PM on a Friday night, with my lady. Not fun!
Thanks for everyone's input. Peace!