Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    In Training
    My Bike(s)
    M50 Black
    Quote Originally Posted by burnchassis View Post
    The shop manager gave me the list of parts I needed.Im takin his word for it.
    The "boot" is called an oil seal ,and it is not at the engine end of the shaft...it is at the rear end of the shaft.
    CS
    There is nothing on the parts diagram labeled "boot" at the final drive end. There is, however a "boot" on the engine end of the propeller shaft. My source - M50 Manual. If your shop manager is calling the oil seal a boot, somebody is confused. Items #18 and 23 are oil seals at each end of the final drive coupling - the part that you broke. Item #9 on the other attached sheet is the "boot".
    Steve
    08 M50 Black: Tool bag, Flanders Beach Bars, SpeedoHealer, GiPro w/ATRE, GMan Bully FP, K&N, Grasshopper Tombstone backrest, Battery Tender, Throttle Rocker, Vista Cruise Control, 12v accessory socket, Cobra Sissy Bar, Jafrum Slant Saddlebags, Extended passenger pegs, DJ Drive, Motocomm Riderlink ST-1, Garmin Nuvi 550
    02 GSF 1200 Bandit Blue

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    M50 Black
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    There is nothing on the parts diagram labeled "boot" at the final drive end. There is, however a "boot" on the engine end of the propeller shaft. My source - M50 Manual. If your shop manager is calling the oil seal a boot, somebody is confused. Items #18 and 23 are oil seals at each end of the final drive coupling - the part that you broke. Item #9 on the other attached sheet is the "boot".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ATTENTION ALL M50 OWNERS! My issue resolved! FIX YOURS NOW B4 IT'S TO LATE!-m50-manual.jpg   ATTENTION ALL M50 OWNERS! My issue resolved! FIX YOURS NOW B4 IT'S TO LATE!-m50-manual-final-drive.jpg  
    Steve
    08 M50 Black: Tool bag, Flanders Beach Bars, SpeedoHealer, GiPro w/ATRE, GMan Bully FP, K&N, Grasshopper Tombstone backrest, Battery Tender, Throttle Rocker, Vista Cruise Control, 12v accessory socket, Cobra Sissy Bar, Jafrum Slant Saddlebags, Extended passenger pegs, DJ Drive, Motocomm Riderlink ST-1, Garmin Nuvi 550
    02 GSF 1200 Bandit Blue

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    2004 Yamaha Warrior XV1700
    Thanks Stevel obviously your following this thread closely...
    I have this end taken care of,thanks for your help.
    CS

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    M50 Black
    Thanks Stevel obviously your following this thread closely...
    I have this end taken care of,thanks for your help.
    CS
    Happy to be able to add something to this thread. I installed the DJ drive in my bike a few months ago so I'm familiar with how things are put together on the final drive. I was also very interested to read about your failure. If I remember the DJ drive installation instructions correctly, they advised to put some RTV sealant between the final drive housing and the propeller shaft housing flanges. There is no gasket here and is a possible source for water intrusion. Hope you get it all back together soon and can enjoy the 50 again.
    Steve
    02 GSF 1200 Bandit Blue

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Silver M50
    Burn:
    How did the water get between the two oil seals? I would have expected to see more rust on the drive shaft than there is. I could see if the splines had no grease they would wear out from lack of lube but you have some serious rust on the splines. Again, how did the water get between the two seals. Was there water in your final drive oil?

Roger L

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    No water at all in my rear drive oil.
    No idea how water gets in...I can see water possibly getting behind the front ujoint boot,and leaking to the back,but I see no way water can get in the rear.
    CS

TurtleWax Taster
    My Bike(s)
    2012 Ducati M796
    does the swingarm really have to be removed to grease the u-joint? It can't be accessed at all with the swing arm there?
    2012 Ducati Monster 796
    2006 M50 Sold!

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    does the swingarm really have to be removed to grease the u-joint? It can't be accessed at all with the swing arm there?

Yes ,thats the only way you can get to it.
    Removing the swing arm I would rate a 3.5 outa of 5 wrenches difficulty.
    CS

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    M50
    So it sounds like our options are fix it ourselves, or take it to the dealer. What is the dealer gonna say when every single one of us drop our M's off to have the drive shaft lubed? And if they do lube it, the only way to know if they did anything is to tear it all apart again.

I still haven't seen anyone confirm that this is applicable to any years other than 2005 models? I know I've seen some 2005's with 40,000 miles already, and they're still running strong, and likely they didn't think to lube the drive shaft. And I'll bet DragonRider probably has over 50,000 miles by now. Maybe if you ride in a lot of rain it's a different story.

TurtleWax Taster
    My Bike(s)
    2012 Ducati M796

Yes ,thats the only way you can get to it.
    Removing the swing arm I would rate a 3.5 outa of 5 wrenches difficulty.
    CS
    Does the u-joint have a zerk fitting?
    2012 Ducati Monster 796
    2006 M50 Sold!

Dogs Best Friend(admin)

My Bike(s)
    SOLD
    Good thing we didn't ban you. You're a freakin' hero!

Dogs Best Friend(admin)

My Bike(s)
    SOLD
    Made sticky.

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    I seen no grease fitting on the u-joint itself.I also never seen mention of any fitting in the manual.

I too am very glad you didn't ban me
    Thank you sir!
    Any chance I can get a section under links ,and tutorials,so I can post some more stuff?
    I would like to post my signature under a section called
    "BURNCHASSIS HOW TO's"
    I plan to make more videos when i do the final drive,and then I would like to post a HOW TO CHECK YOUR CAM CHAINS video next.
    My signature is full,and It can be cleaned up nicely .
    Thanks again everyone!
    CS

TurtleWax Taster
    My Bike(s)
    2012 Ducati M796
    I seen no grease fitting on the u-joint itself.I also never seen mention of any fitting in the manual.

I too am very glad you didn't ban me
    Thank you sir!
    Any chance I can get a section under links ,and tutorials,so I can post some more stuff?
    I would like to post my signature under a section called
    "BURNCHASSIS HOW TO's"
    I plan to make more videos when i do the final drive,and then I would like to post a HOW TO CHECK YOUR CAM CHAINS video next.
    My signature is full,and It can be cleaned up nicely .
    Thanks again everyone!
    CS
    Wow, a Cam chain video would be great! Lots of work I imagine, but still great too see. Give him a section for his how-to's!
    2012 Ducati Monster 796
    2006 M50 Sold!

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki DL1000
    Possible to add a grease zerk after lubing and before putting it all back together? Or will packing it with the Moly make it good for life?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Ads