Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2009 GSX650F

Oh the horror…milky white gear oil!

Today I decided to change the gear oil…simple enough, or so one would think.
    To my horror, the gear oil came out as gray/white color. The bike has about 8000 miles on it, I’m the original owner, & all the proper services have been done. Anyway…I changed the gear oil, went out for a ride, and decided to change it again to flush it out. Well…same thing, milky gray/white color. The bike has no leaks, & I don’t make a point of riding in the rain, although, I have been caught in a storm or two.

Sooo…Any thoughts? BTW…did your bikes have a rubber gasket on the bottom drain plug & nothing on the top filler plug?
    -img_1673_edited-1.jpg

-img_1672_edited-1.jpg

-img_1671_edited-1.jpg
    Last edited by M50METAL; 08-31-2009 at 10:35 PM.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    2004 Yamaha Warrior XV1700
    There is a gasket on top,and bottom plug.
    Milky gear oil??
    It shouldn't be possible for water to get in there...if water is getting in ...oil is getting out too.
    I would drain it ,and refill it as many times as i needed to to get that bad oil out.
    What kind of oil did you have in it? got a picture of the bad oil?
    The gear lube don't turn black like engine oil...it will become less clear...but not milky white?
    Some gear oils have an additive in them that allows them to mix with water..so the water don't separate and freeze.
    Others have a detergent in them,that causes them to turn a bit silver..but still not milky white.
    CS

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2009 GSX650F
    Quote Originally Posted by burnchassis View Post
    There is a gasket on top,and bottom plug.
    Milky gear oil??
    It shouldn't be possible for water to get in there...if water is getting in ...oil is getting out too.
    I would drain it ,and refill it as many times as i needed to to get that bad oil out.
    What kind of oil did you have in it? got a picture of the bad oil?
    The gear lube don't turn black like engine oil...it will become less clear...but not milky white?
    CS
    It had whatever the dealer is using...they said they changed the rear end oil as part of the first service, (but who really knows) I replaced it with synthetic, API GL-5 and MT-1, SAE 75W-90 today. It's not leaking any oil...it was totally full...there was more oil the first time I drained it...but both times, a gray/white color...sorry, I don't have a picture, but it's just as I described...totally gray/white.

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    Drain it at your next chance,and maybe get a pic?
    What brand is your new oil?
    Both the old oil,and the oil you added came out the same color?
    CS

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    Here ya go M50METAL. Iwent outside ,and removed my plug to show you the color of my oil after about 300 miles.
    It is still mostly clear.
    Hope this helps!
    CS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -100_4820.jpg   -100_4822.jpg  

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2009 GSX650F
    Drain it at your next chance,and maybe get a pic?
    What brand is your new oil?
    Both the old oil,and the oil you added came out the same color?
    CS
    It's Castrol Fully synthetic, API GL-5 and MT-1, SAE 75W-90 formula.
    And yes...both times they came out the same color...I'm at a loss here, it makes no sense.

I still have the oil in the drain pan out in the garage...I'll try & post a pic tomorrow...dead battery's in the camera.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2009 GSX650F
    Here ya go M50METAL. Iwent outside ,and removed my plug to show you the color of my oil after about 300 miles.
    It is still mostly clear.
    Hope this helps!
    CS
    Thanks man...but yeah...mine is not clear...it's milky white

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    time to change the oil; sounds like the fluid got some water in it.

back in the day, differential fluid, when mudding (through the water) the fluid would become a weird milky brown color. That meant water was in the fluid.

that all said, if you change the fluid (or change in twice in shorter intervals) and it is still white - there must be a bad seal somewhere.

Before getting too nervous though, remember that some water will accrue if the bike is parked outside and condensation occurs inside the housing when the temperature cools and you get dew on the grass.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2009 M50
    As I understand it some oils are hydroscopic, certainly brake fluid and final drive AFAIK. Meaning they absorb moisture over time.
    It could be a bad lot of oil from the same supplier you are buying from? Or if you have stored the same bottle for a few years open?

If it is emulsifying (milky white) after only a short time then there would definatly be a lot of contaminants (water) getting into, or already in, the oil. It wouldn't just be a drop or two to turn all the oil that way.

My suggestion would be to change the oil again using a different bottle of oil from a different dealer/supplier. Store the oil for a while near the bike so they are as close to the same temperature as possible, preventing condensation with warm oil on cool metal or vice-versa.

If at some point the caps have leaked and allowed water in then it may take a few flushes to get shot of all the water.

That's my experience and opinion anyways. Hope it helps.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard M50 2006
    I'm using exactly the same oil as you do. I'll check it tonight when I got home from work and post a picture. I did almost 300km since I changed it. You made me very curious!

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2009 GSX650F
    -img_1673_edited-1.jpg

-img_1672_edited-1.jpg

-img_1671_edited-1.jpg

So this is what I drained out of my rear end yesterday...the black oil swirls are from a previous engine oil change. I may be hard to tell, but there is no separation of water/oil/etc.

Anyway...like I mentioned before...it came out this way both times, any problems with the oil I'm using can be ruled out...& again, I have NO LEAKS anywhere...for the oil to do this, a lot of water would have to be getting in there, (If that's even whats happening) & one would assume a lot of oil would be leaking out as well.

Anywho...I have new oil in now, I'm gonna change it again...I'll update later.
    Last edited by M50METAL; 08-31-2009 at 07:07 PM.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    Hey M50METAL,
    Here is the picture I was talking about. Everything seems normal...
    -img_0074.jpg

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M50METAL View Post
    Anywho...I have new oil in now, I'm gonna change it again...I'll update later.
    Maybe stupid question, but did you check the oil in the Castrol bottle? Just pour a little bit in a glass and see what color it has... The oil you took out of the rear drive is definitely bad and I can't imagine what could have made it this way.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki DL1000
    That is ugly stuff.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2009 GSX650F
    Quote Originally Posted by draf View Post
    Maybe stupid question, but did you check the oil in the Castrol bottle? Just pour a little bit in a glass and see what color it has... The oil you took out of the rear drive is definitely bad and I can't imagine what could have made it this way.
    Everything is fine with the Castrol oil.
    And yes...I can't imagine what made it this way either.
    Now I don't know what to do...keep changing it until it's clear & risk having the dealer say nothings wrong, or take it in & demand they take it apart & fix the problem. It's still under warranty, but I can't take it to the dealer I bought it from, it's just to far away.

Ads