Expected engine life - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki M50
    Quote Originally Posted by dispatchbob View Post
    True, some engines may have substandard parts that can cause premature failure but any normal wear item will have a shorter lifespan if subjected to constant hard driving - full throttle take offs, etc.
    Well where's the fun in that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Y2K
    In The Zone
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by dispatchbob View Post
    Proper maintenance and common sense driving are the best approach to achieving the most possible miles out of any motor.
    That's really the bottom line.

I'm at 165,000 miles on the H-D now and expect to go over the 200K mark before I part with it.

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    2004 Yamaha Warrior XV1700
    The engine will even last if you only do the maintanence...common sense driving is an option.
    I have 34,xxx miles on mine..tho I have always taken care of it ,she does get beat on....more often then not.

CS

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    my view is as the engine gets larger and runs slower, the mileage expected out of it goes up.

Lifetime on a 250 honda rebel?

I dunno, maybe 35 - 40 k.

On a Kawasaki Concours maintained to the same level?

I would be willing to say about 100 k - as the engine is running slower if nothing else and not working nearly as hard to maintain any given LEGAL speed.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Y2K
    In The Zone
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajim View Post
    LEGAL speed.
    Legal speed........what's that?

Want's A New Title
    My Bike(s)
    2012 Yamaha XT 250 (dual sport)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    The Suzuki 800s are great bikes, but they are throw aways: drive them till they die, get another one.

Bingo....and they're fun as all heck too.

My Bike(s)
    Legal speed........what's that?
    it's some arbitrary nonsense that's put up merely to slow people down; something about "lowest common denominator" rings a bell.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

My Bike(s)
    '07 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel17368 View Post
    WOW!! That's some philasophical shiznit right there.
    Haha, yeah sorry about that, I'm doing a double major in philosophy and psychology... LOL

In The Zone
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Yamaha Vstar 950
    Quote Originally Posted by META View Post
    20K!! I just bought my late 07 with 33K on it, but full dealer service history religiously performed at the required intervals, I'm really hoping you mean met its match as in it collided with something unexpected and passed away that way as opposed to the engine clapped out....
    Yea-she met her match when 70yr dumb *&*^%##%^#$%^ wasnt paying attention and pulled out of parking lot and T-boned me-bike was complete loss (I somehow not a scratch on me thanks to wearing my gear). Though, when my dad got there with the trailor the bike fired right up, right into gear and went up on trialor without a second thought to it. That engine wasnt phased a bit and could have easily continued on for very long time. Thought about riding it home but had no right foot rest or brake pedal and forks were twiseted.

M50 Manual

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    -Benjamin Franklin-

My Bike(s)
    '07 M50
    Ranger - In my book, any accident you walk away from reasonably intact is second in preference only to not having had the accident in the first place! Glad to hear you're still with us, even if your steed is no more!!

In The Zone
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Yamaha Vstar 950
    Quote Originally Posted by META View Post
    Ranger - In my book, any accident you walk away from reasonably intact is second in preference only to not having had the accident in the first place! Glad to hear you're still with us, even if your steed is no more!!
    Ya, I know the feeling. That is actually my second one walking away from-first one involved my ranger. Not a big religious person, but somebody is definantly sitting on my shoulder-i really hope they sit there for a long time

M50 Manual

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    -Benjamin Franklin-

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Triumph Scrambler
    If it's made right and run right it'll go for a very long time, as long as you look after it. Oil changes are essential, as are filters and adjustments to valve gear etc.
    Over time, and hopefully a long long time, bearing shells wear, as do bores and valves. Eventually a part will fail when it reaches the end of it's acceptable wear tolerances and a whole lot more.
    The thing to remember is not too thrash the crap out of an old, high mileage engine. It's like giving an old fart like me a big snort of 100% pure Charlie. Absolutely great twenty years ago, but now it'd be a one way trip to the morgue!
    So - treat your bike like a woman, look after her and you can ride her for a long long time, abuse her - and you're dead!
    Shiny side up!!

My Bike(s)
    Over time, and hopefully a long long time, bearing shells wear, as do bores and valves. Eventually a part will fail when it reaches the end of it's acceptable wear tolerances and a whole lot more.
    it has been my limited experience that usually all sorts of little nagging things go wrong long before the bike's engine starting burning a lot of oil or making funny sounds.

also search "oil" and start reading - usually recommending synthetic.

Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 VZ800/Z
    As well as having unit construction, our cylinders are nicasil plated. This means you can't easily have them honed. The unit case construction means the motors are pressed together this makes it hard to access the bottom end. Since the parts for rebuild are not available it's of little consequence. You may be able to find bearings by size but by the time you need them the rest of the bike will be shot.

Keep up on your maintenance and be prepared to buy something better when the time comes. It should be a while. Enjoy it until then. NMc
    Profesional technition, auto, small engine and heavy diesel with five years paid experience and many more as a hobbyist.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2006 suzukic50t, 1970 suzuki ac50, 1968 sears campus 50
    171,387.4 miles, plus or minus (.3)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links