Expected engine life - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2006 suzukic50t, 1970 suzuki ac50, 1968 sears campus 50
    A Harley will last at least as long as it takes for your fillings to shake loose, give or take one filling.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    naw, the harley's are all on rubber mounts for their engines - although you will need to overallhaul it at about 90 k.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Y2K
    In The Zone
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajim View Post
    naw, the harley's are all on rubber mounts for their engines - although you will need to overallhaul it at about 90 k.
    Well actually the Softails are not rubber mounted but since 2000 they have been counterbalanced and are smooth as butter.
    As for the 90k mark,I've seen many go well over 100K without an overhaul.
    It's all in how they are ridden and maintained like any other machine.
    That said, a top end job is no more labor intensive than a valve adjust on a lot of metric bikes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    An EVO motor is good for 90-100,000, while a Twin Cam is good for 150-200,000 miles easily. I know at least 5 folks in my HOG chapter with 250,000+ on them.
    Even the Sportsters are rubber mounted and fuel injected now, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that my 'new to me' 2007 1200 Sportster has substantially less vibration going down the road than my Suzuki S50 did.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

My Bike(s)
    pleasantly surprised to find that my 'new to me' 2007 1200 Sportster has substantially less vibration going down the road than my Suzuki S50 did.
    good to know they're doing something right, although comparing a sporty to a(n) S50 doesn't seem quite equal.

but these things never are.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Here's a 2005 M50 for sale in FL with 37k on the clock...bike looks good. Mine has 6500 miles on it now....30k more on an M50 is a lot more than I'll put on it in the next 5 years.....maybe she'll run that long.

2005 SUZUKI BOULEVARD M50

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    good to know they're doing something right, although comparing a sporty to a(n) S50 doesn't seem quite equal.

but these things never are.
    The two bikes are pretty close in physical size, the sporty being maybe an inch longer. The 883 is pretty close in engine size, but the Suzuki outperforms it off the line. The Sporty has much better highway manners. The lean angle is very similar, and the front end geometry, fork size, and rear suspensions are identical or pretty darn close. Clearly the VS800 was designed to target the same market as the Sportster 883, so I think it is a fair comparison.

My 1200 feels like two S50s welded together, and it outperforms the S83 easily. So comparing the 1200 to an S50 is certainly not fair, but you would expect that with 50% more HP and that famous Harley crankshaft geometry you would get more vibration, not less.

There is an obvious price difference even with the 883, but with the Sporty having more range, fuel injection, rubber mounted engine, factory forward controls, rear disks, belt drive, self canceling directionals, better instramentation, and other features unavailable on the S50, I think the price difference is more than justified.

I loved my VS800s. The first one I bought new, and it went 135,000 trouble-free and joy filled miles. The second one became a headache at 100,000, but I bought it used and the neglect by the first owner showed up later in life. Still a good bike though, and while the rest of the bike started to give out the motor is still strong, niether burning or leaking any oil. But the redesigned Sportster (2007 and up) is head and shoulders above it in comfort, performance, and features.

My Bike(s)
    self canceling directionals
    I wish the connie I bought had that - now I look like some bumbling old man on a scooter driving down the road with a turn signal on.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    LOL!

I have never had the urge to have self canceling signals, and I did not even know that my Sporty had them when I bought it. But they are actually pretty cool, as they are 'smart' rather than just timing out. If I hit the signal, it times out after 20 flashes if I forget them. But if I hit the signal and slow down to first gear, they stay on forever while I wait to turn. But when I accelerate again they shut off on the 1-2 shift. Very cool little feature. I like the factory throttle lock also- saved me $40 on a Vista cruiser, plus it is hidden from view and holds better than the Vista.
    This sort of demonstrates the problem witht he S50: Suzuki designed the bike in 1984, and other than swapping in the 800cc motor fromt he failed VX800 in 1991 they did absolutely nothing to update the bike until 2004. Then all they did was delete the sissy bar, add a plastic fake air cleaner on the side, and add four way flashers. The S83 also got a swap from a 4 speed to a 5 speed tranny in the late 90s, but that was it for that model.
    Compared to a 1984 Sportster, the S50 was a much better bike. But after a new frame in 2004, new suspension in 2005, and a new top end for the motor in 2007 (15% more power plus electronic fuel injection and reduced emissions and increased MPG), better exhaust in 2007, plus numerous little upgrade features year by year, the Sportster now clearly is superior in every way, shape, and form compared to the S50.
    I really think if Suzuki had made an effort to update the S50 and S83 models with fuel injection, a bit more power, better footpeg placement, stiffer fork springs, a better sounding exhaust, and some little things even the cheapest HD models have like self canceling signals, throttle lock, digital dual trip odos, low fuel light, and stuff like that, the S50 and S83 would have stayed top selling bikes instead of slipping down the charts to cancelation.
    Last edited by DrBob; 06-15-2010 at 10:03 AM.

Sit speling cheker
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Victory Cross Roads
    Bob, you're making the sportster sound pretty good! My brother has a 97 model and is not near as nice sounding as the one you are describing, one reason I was turned off by small HD bikes.

Y2K
    In The Zone
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by TNM50 View Post
    Bob, you're making the sportster sound pretty good! My brother has a 97 model and is not near as nice sounding as the one you are describing, one reason I was turned off by small HD bikes.
    They've come a long way baby!
    2003 was the last year with solid engine mounts,2006 the last year with a carburetor.
    Hew heads and a new oiling system in '04 made for more power and cooler running and the new rubber mounting of the engine really smoothed things out.
    The '97 model was largely unchanged from the first Evo Sportys of '86 aside from having a 5 speed gearbox.

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Its holding up to the 5lbs of boost mine gets on a regular basis.. im around 14000 miles on it with about 4000 of it with the turbo.. everythings goin well with it other than trying to figure out enough spring pressure on the clutch basket

My Bike(s)
    not to knock you or anything - but from what I've seen, generally you can go to 5 - 7 psi boost w/out completely rebuilding the engine to accomodate the extra power.

This all reminds me of back in the day when Chrysler first came out with turbos to make their sucky cars less sucky; and people used regular oil, the turbos weren't built all that well, and so on and so forth.

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard M50
    yea i agree to with you for the most part on the 5-8psi statement for the most part, it just depends on the engine your putting that boost on.. but with the turbo doubleing the horsepower and the engine made from cast internals it sort of suprises me "a little" that everything is holding so well.. I rode a stock one yesterday and it shocked me at what it felt like.. it was night and day.. anyway was just throwing my half a penny in on the subject..

TurtleWax Taster
    My Bike(s)
    2002 ZX12R
    not to knock you or anything - but from what I've seen, generally you can go to 5 - 7 psi boost w/out completely rebuilding the engine to accomodate the extra power.

This all reminds me of back in the day when Chrysler first came out with turbos to make their sucky cars less sucky; and people used regular oil, the turbos weren't built all that well, and so on and so forth.
    89 turbo ES...nothing but dino cheap oil, 18psi..non intercooled, nothing but v6 injectors and pounded the snap out of that car for 110,000kms without so much as a peep. Some mills will last, some won't. Like the ford T-5 trans...some guys pull 400RWHP on that trans for ever...more even, some guys are replacing them yearly.
    Currnently in love with my ZX9 but will never forget the 05 M50 that filled the garage.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links