Expected engine life - Page 4
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Want's A New Title
    My Bike(s)
    2006 grey suzuki M50 /2009 KLR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by davey g View Post
    That had to be a mis-print? These bikes will last forever with routine oil changes
    i think not.
    2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 called Beast and 2006 Suzuki M50 to be reborn M50 Service Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajim View Post
    "we, the few, the proud, the motorcyclists of the world, refuse to sit down in comfort, insulated from the environment, and run the gauntlet of life with a front row seat. And we wouldn't want it any other way." Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    run about 100 k provided synthetic oil, I reckon.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    LOL! A mechanical device lasting forever? That's funny! Especially an engine, especially one with unit construction and a water cooling system.

As for synthetic oil, Consumr Reports did an extensive study that concluded that synthetic oil did not extended average engine life. My last three Suzukiis went between 100,000 and 135,000 milwa without ever seeing a drop of conventional oi. My ersonal experience, and every truely imprartial scientific study I have seen, indicated that CLEAN oil is the key to engine lifem and the type in unimportant. In the case of a water cooled bike, keeping the cooling system in good health is vital also- let it get leaky, corroded, or gummed up, and the motor will die quickly.
    Last edited by DrBob; 06-27-2010 at 04:02 PM.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Quote Originally Posted by DMAN302 View Post
    89 turbo ES...nothing but dino cheap oil, 18psi..non intercooled, nothing but v6 injectors and pounded the snap out of that car for 110,000kms without so much as a peep. Some mills will last, some won't. Like the ford T-5 trans...some guys pull 400RWHP on that trans for ever...more even, some guys are replacing them yearly.
    lol yea some go and some blow.. (top fuel drivers quote I once knew)

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    so, what would be the life of coolant? 4 years?
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Sit speling cheker
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Victory Cross Roads
    I think 4 years would be the max you would want to go. When I changed my 06 with 10K miles on it back in the winter it was looking pretty bad. Coolant keeps the water pump lubed and old stuff will not do the job very well.

Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 VZ800/Z
    Old coolant will manage to turn to wax after a long period of time, even on cars driven daily. I did a timing belt and water pump on an Isuzu with 200k mi. It had the intake passeges to the water pump nearly plugged with glycal wax, I can't imagin the radiator was any better. NMc
    Profesional technition, auto, small engine and heavy diesel with five years paid experience and many more as a hobbyist.

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2006 M50
    so, what would be the life of coolant? 4 years?
    I think the repair manual calls for two years.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    I always did mine once a year, but I put a lot more miles on a bike than most folks. I believe the Hampster is right and Suzuki calls for every two years.
    This system is vital to the life of your engine. If the coolant gets low, does not circulate correctly, or the system gets gummed up with waxy build up, scale, or rust, the engine will run hot and heat unevenly. Even a simple air bubble in the system can cause serious engine overheating. As the engine gets hot it expands, and improper cooling will cause the parts to expand unevenly, resulting in a blown head gasket, cracked head, pulled head bolts, or things like the cams, pistons, and rods will seize up when they run out of clearance (the engines are notorious for tight clearances). Even running your engine a little hot for a long time will seriously destroy the oil, causing short engine life from lack of lubrication. And a poorly functioning cooling system will cause pre-detonation, sometimes only on the rear cylinder, which open up a whole new laundry list of bad things that will happen to your engine. If you are going to have a water cooled bike, you need to take care of it.
    So I always pay special attention to this system, giving it a good flush and fresh coolant every year. Charging systems, clutches, and other peripheral system can be easily replaced, but if the cooling system dies bad things happen. Coolant system maintenance is every bit as important as oil changes.
    Someone PM'ed be about the unit construction comment. The answer is simple: there is nothing wrong with unit construction, and it does not shorten engine life. But unit construction puts the tranny in the same case as the engine. So if one dies, you have to split the cases and rebuild both, usually not cost effective. Double the number of componants in an assembly, and you double the chance of failure.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    You guys that have 30k+ on your M50's...are they using oil, requiring a lot of maintenance, etc.? How hard have you ridden them? How long will they hold up at 75-80 mph?

Want's A New Title
    My Bike(s)
    2006 grey suzuki M50 /2009 KLR 650
    I will admit to rising the bike hard. Real hard and putting it away wet.
    I've neglected maintenance on it and almost ran the oil dry.
    I've gone many miles overdue for oil changes...
    It still runs

It'll hold up at 75mph all day long.

Trust me. This is a tough bike. Don't believe me? Read my inuviktrip blog

Maintain it, let it warm up and it'll last a long time
    I have 40k miles on it (but it needs a bit of engine work)
    2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 called Beast and 2006 Suzuki M50 to be reborn M50 Service Manual
    "we, the few, the proud, the motorcyclists of the world, refuse to sit down in comfort, insulated from the environment, and run the gauntlet of life with a front row seat. And we wouldn't want it any other way." Jim

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    The M50 motor is pretty darn close to the C50 mill, and I have seen C50s/ Volusias go 75,000-80,000 miles when well cared for. So you should have a lot of life left in your M50.

My Bike(s)
    KTM
    Guys seriously, you have give a most reliable source of information in here. Thanks a ton for sharing these in here.

Quote Originally Posted by dispatchbob View Post
    My dad has a 82 Goldwing with 180k on it, and it runs like it was bought yesterday.
    It really matters how it was ran and how it was stored. We live in probably the worst climate for anything mechanical, right on the coast of the north atlantic, roads are heavily salted and during fall winter and spring it goes from above to below freezing a couple elixir of immortality times a week. However I keep my bike in a dry clean barn from late fall to early spring. Pro-tip: If you heat your shed or garage, always heat it, if you're not going to heat your garage, never heat it. The wide changes in temperature will cause condensation that will kill your machine faster than anything.

When I buy anything used, I always check out how the owner stores it.

What, you mean like wife swapping, 'cos that's not how I roll bro
    No but seriously, I don't quite grasp what you mean by pooling resources...

I've looked at a fair few US metric cruiser suppliers, and do the conversion across to kiwi $ and expect to pay a chunk more for postage, and that is what it costs me to upgrade. It's all but irrelevant if I'm paying twice as much as another country;is immortality possible I'm not in that other country, I prefer it here, and this is what it costs me to do what I want here. NZ is worth it!!

I understand what you're saying about costs of imported goods here, but I'm only fresh off the boat from the UK (although I was born here) so I'm in love with the place, warts and all LOLThis question with it's variety of answers on M50 engine life brings up another engine story I want to share. Ford made the 351M engine that many said were junk and had unacceptable longevity. What are dreams, My Dad owned one for years, pulled camper trailer across the country with it, etc. He was a machinist by trade and decided to go thru it (just for his curiousity) when it was just shy of 100,000 miles. Bearings had nearly non-existent wear, ditto for the cylinders. The timing chain was getting sloppy and replaced - nothing unusual about that though. He did oil changes religiously and kept it in tune but certainly used it. Proper maintenance and common sense driving are the best approach to acheiving the most possible miles out of any motor. True, some engines may have substandard parts that can cause premature failure but any normal wear item will have a shorter lifespan if subjected to constant hard driving - full throttle take offs, etc and how to become immortal.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links