Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50

Inexpensive Hard Bags - Ammo Cans

Has anyone tried these yet? I found them by doing a random search online & seem pretty reasonably priced.

I've searched several of the saddlebags threads and have not come across anything this cheap. All I would need are ghost brackets or easy brackets.

GA Series Hard Saddlebags [RIDE-GA] - $139.95 : Ridebikegear.comMotorcycle Hard Saddlebags, Motorcycle Panniers, Motorcycle Trunks
    Last edited by XoZe; 10-16-2010 at 10:35 AM.
    • HellCat Windshield, Ram Camera Mount, Kuryakyn Iso-Grips, Stebel Air Horn, Kuryakyn Ellipse Mirrors, Kuryakyn Dually pegs, Blue LED kit, Integrated tail light, side-mounted license plate, Mustang Seat, Cobra sissybar and backrest.
    --------------
    My other hobby is IDPA
    www.idpa.com

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Suzuki M50,1975 Goldwing,1982 Silverwing
    Check Ebay before you buy. I think you can get them a little cheaper. Plus they have a few different styles. Haven't tried them but am contemplating it.
    If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance,Baffle 'em with Bulls!!t!

Roadburner Street Pro's on my M http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf0IYPcoiVc

Fender Buffer
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki M50
    I seriously considered it until I put a little more thought into it. At that price, I speculated that the material would be thin, leading to flexing problems. With a light load (less than say 15 lbs.) or with a seriously well engineered bracketing system, it wouldn't be much of an issue. I chose to go with something else and I'm happy with my choice, but often wonder if my assumptions were correct. If you get them, can you put a caliper on them and tell me their thickness and whether or not you have flexing issues with the mounted and more than 15lbs. in them?
    2005 M50: Vance & Hines Cruzers, Naked Jugs Intake, Fully Depaired, Mustang Seats, Power Commander 3 (tune by Burnchassis), 2" Johns Kit rear drop, Suzuki mini-boards, ISO grips w/Stiletto ends & Throttle Boss

Bike is for sale

Selling my gear, time to move on

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki DL1000
    Be cautious. Flimsy and malfunctioning locks. Friend had to bungee wrap to keep shut on first trip with them.

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50
    Yeah, that is what I thought. Thing is I don't really like the look of saddlebags on the bike, but they do come in handy on trips. I just don't want to make a large investment for something I don't use too often.

On the other hand, it would be a waste if they were just junk and I had to trash them to soon. Any other "affordable" options out there?

I also thought about getting a couple of pellican cases with the ghost brackets, as I could use the cases for something else when not on the bike. However that would be a lot more money than these here.

I do have a pretty large bag that I've used on trips, however it doesn't lock. There is a thread with some pics around here somewhere....

found it:

Last edited by XoZe; 10-16-2010 at 10:48 AM.
    • HellCat Windshield, Ram Camera Mount, Kuryakyn Iso-Grips, Stebel Air Horn, Kuryakyn Ellipse Mirrors, Kuryakyn Dually pegs, Blue LED kit, Integrated tail light, side-mounted license plate, Mustang Seat, Cobra sissybar and backrest.
    --------------
    My other hobby is IDPA
    www.idpa.com

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Victory Cross Roads
    XoZe, I sort of am in the same boat as you. I hate the looks of saddlebags on the M50 but they would come in handy on long trips. I am looking at getting the Cortech sport saddlebags to go with my Kury big bag. Of course they are not lockable but looks like they come off easy and will only be on the bike for those really long trips or when the wife needs to haul more gear for a lond day ride. I did make my Kury bag a little harder to break in by taking a dremel to the zipper pulls and running a metal string lock through them.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki DL1000
    Could go with your ghost brackets idea but use with ammo cans instead of pelican boxes. Can get ammo cans on the cheap (usually $10-20 each) and are customizable. Since they'd only be on the bike when necessary there's no need to be concerned with looks. There are a few sizes that are usable for us motorcyclists.

Just one example:
    Wee ammo can panniers - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Forums

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50
    Great suggestion! I'd only be concerned about the weight of the cans and if the ghost brackets would have trouble supporting them. Otherwise, I'm in!
    --------------
    My other hobby is IDPA
    www.idpa.com

VII
    Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    On Fire
    why dont u go for a soft bag then rather than a hard bag especially if your not going to leave them on all the time. They are alot cheaper than quality hardbags and I wouldnt touch those bags you posted with a 10 foot pole. Quality hardbags cost a bunch. Pretty sure those would fall apart on you in the middle of a ride and just bring unwanted stress to an otherwise nice trip out riding. The national cycle ones are like 3-4 times more expensive than those and they were crap. Top of the line ones like I got on my bike now cost 800 so really what can u expect for 140 bux?
    Black Hypercharger, Cooley's 2" fluted risers, 32" Debrix drag bars, Tsukayu Coner hardbags w/integrated turn signals, Hard Krome 2.5 Strippers Black, Power Commander V, Lowered 2.5", Transformer grips, Cobra Freeway bars, Gorilla alarm, BikeMaster Sickle Mirrors, Clear turn signal lenses w/chrome tipped bulbs, Debadged tank, Cooley's rear filler plate, Custom Flame paint

Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 VZ800/Z
    Haha, figgures a dual sport guy would suggest ammo cans. Like every GS1200 going down the road.

Kidding of course. I bolted a large amo can into the "bed" of my 2door SUV for lockable storage as I often ran around with no top. They are pretty indestructable. you could never over pack one that's for sure. Any chance on finding used HD bags for cheap?

NMc
    Profesional technition, auto, small engine and heavy diesel with five years paid experience and many more as a hobbyist.

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by VII View Post
    why dont u go for a soft bag then
    I do have a soft luggage as you can see in the pics I posted above. The problem is not being able to really lock it when left on the bike unattended or overnight. I figured at least the ammo cans can't get broken into as easily.
    --------------
    My other hobby is IDPA
    www.idpa.com

VII
    Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    On Fire
    true didnt think bout that.
    Black Hypercharger, Cooley's 2" fluted risers, 32" Debrix drag bars, Tsukayu Coner hardbags w/integrated turn signals, Hard Krome 2.5 Strippers Black, Power Commander V, Lowered 2.5", Transformer grips, Cobra Freeway bars, Gorilla alarm, BikeMaster Sickle Mirrors, Clear turn signal lenses w/chrome tipped bulbs, Debadged tank, Cooley's rear filler plate, Custom Flame paint

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50
    It took a while but I found a store that has the ammo cans I need. Had to come back home to measure the space on the bike to make sure they would fit. $22 bucks each can which is not bad, I'd just want to clean them up and rhino-line them. I'll probably go pick them up tomorrow.
    --------------
    My other hobby is IDPA
    www.idpa.com

Fender Buffer
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki M50
    If done right, that will look sweet! I almost considered taking all my cycle parts to my local LineX guy to coat, but reconsidered in case I ever decide to sell the bike.
    2005 M50: Vance & Hines Cruzers, Naked Jugs Intake, Fully Depaired, Mustang Seats, Power Commander 3 (tune by Burnchassis), 2" Johns Kit rear drop, Suzuki mini-boards, ISO grips w/Stiletto ends & Throttle Boss

Bike is for sale

Selling my gear, time to move on

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki DL1000
    Good on you for doing something not so standard on a cruiser. May be the first M50 with ammo can panniers. Be sure to post photos of your finished product. I'd also be interested to see your 'build' photos but I understand not wanting to stop for pics while working on a project.

Ads