Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: antifreeze

My Bike(s)
    2005 Blue M50

antifreeze

I'm wondering if I can use Prestone 50/50 mix antifreeze to refill my radiator.On the bottle it states that it is for use in aluminum radiators;plus when I inquired at the nearest motorcycle shop(Ducati)they said they use car quest coolant and that the Prestone would be fine.There isn't a Suzuki dealer close enough to buy the Suzuki brand.Any thoughts?By the way,I have a 2005 M50.Thanks

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2009 special edition boulevard m50
    Any bike shop should have the kind of coolant you need, correct me if im wrong but i think the coolant in our bikes in blue. I not sure but i think it cools better than the universal kind.

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50
    Mine's green but I'm awaiting an answer as well, lol...if not then it's getting a 50/50 mix before COLD weather comes.
    2k8 SE, 2k5 Red Parts, Mustang Vintage Wide Seat, Suzuki OEM Passenger Floorboards, 28" Drag Bars, Ken's 1" Spacers, 2nd Gen Chin Spoiler, Undertail Eliminator Kit, Relocated Turn Signals and Tag, Morton's Violators, K&N Drop In, PC-V retrofit, De-Paired, Custom Headlight, Blacking out the Chrome, Found better brakes - just have to get them on!!!

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Victory Cross Roads
    I changed mine last winter and just bought cheap walmart brand coolant (not mixed). Any coolant designed for aluminum radiators will work. You don't need "suzuki" brand coolant, save your dough and get the cheaper stuff. Changing it yourself is not too bad, took me a couple of hours just because I was taking my time. Just make sure you get all the air out of the system or you will probably come close to overheating like I did.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by chucknti View Post
    I not sure but i think it cools better than the universal kind.
    No, not true.

The Prestone "universal" pre-mix will be fine.

The only advantage in getting it from a bike shop is they have it in quarts.......which costs almost as much as a gallon from Wally World.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2009 special edition boulevard m50
    I had the pestone in my old honda and always ran too hot, i started using engine ice coolant and 3 years of hard georgia summer riding and the temp light has never come back on!

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    83 Gl650I
    I just bought the 50/50 mix that was compatible with aluminum. Ran the engine till hot, drained it, ran/flushed it with new mix and drained. Filled it up again and rode away. Oh yeah, spilled the drain pan on the floor...don't ask how.

My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    the issue of antifreeze was a concern, many moons ago.

Back in the 80's, when aluminum radiator were kind of new thing, getting "aluminum friendly" antifreeze was a concern.

Now, just about everything uses a(n) aluminum radiator, with rare exception.

reminds me, I gotta change the coolant in the bike.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 VZ800/Z
    All coolants are not the same. While they will all cool very close to equally thier billing point will differ. More importantly higher quality antifreeze has a higher resistance to corrosion, a longer life span, and a higher resistance to becoming wax.

Coolant compatibility has been an issue more recently than just the 80s. GM changed to Orange coolant which turned out to be detrimental to the head and intake gaskets in the 3800 V6 motors used in EVERYTHING GM. GM then spent a small fortune putting updated gaskets in thier vehicles before eventually moving to a different coolant.

Your M is built to a great quality level. Using cheaper fluid will not cause head gaskets to fail but it will be more prone to corosion, boiling or jelling as it ages. Most everything is compatable across the board the differences are in quality and longevity.

Like the rest of the fluids you put in your machine a few bucks more for quality is usualy beneficial in the long run. I'm not saying you need the Suzuki specific blue fluid but a gallon of Mobile 1 is still affordable.

NMc
    Profesional technition, auto, small engine and heavy diesel with five years paid experience and many more as a hobbyist.

My Bike(s)
    2003 Honda VTX 1800 (110CuIn)
    Whoa! Hold on there. If you have a Honda you will destroy the water pump. From another site and they are correct."Coolants do more than prevent freezing and protect from overheating. They also protect from corrosion. Traditional automotive coolant contains silicates as part of its anti-corrosive additive mix. It appears that silicates (abrasive in nature) damage the Honda water-pump seals. There have been a spate of Honda water-pump failures that typically occur within one year of having replaced the OEM coolant with silicate-based automotive coolant. "

You need a Type 2 Silicate Free Antifreeze, and it is going to be $15,00 a quart discount price.

My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by KW7DSP View Post
    Whoa! Hold on there.

You need a Type 2 Silicate Free Antifreeze, and it is going to be $15,00 a quart discount price.
    WHOA. HOLD ON THERE YOURSELF.

What country are you posting from ??

In the US, almost ALL anti-freeze/coolant mass marketed to the public these days it silicate free......but you should check the label just to be sure.
    And I quite assure you that you can get quality, silicate free coolant for MUCH less than $60 a gallon.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Ads