Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

m50 and hypercharger

A friend of mine told me not to even think about putting hypercharger on my bike since you can't ride during the rain. Is that really true?

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    '07 boulevard m50
    Nope.

Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 VZ800/Z
    A little water will NOT hurt your motor. A LOT of water can put a connecting rod through the case. A little water will bring down combustion temps and bring up combustion pressure, This is why highly turbo charged motors can run a water injection system. In fact just a little water will steam clean the engine internally removing harmfull carbon deposits. You can run a hyper charger in the rain all day long but a major splash from a puddle next to you can cause serious damage. Even so The filter helps to limit the water intake and keep your rotating and reciprocating parts safe.

Most motorcycle mechanics think Hyper chargers are hoaky, rattle-y and problematic but offer no better performance than a high flow air filter anyhow. They sure do look good though.
    The end result is that it is mostly an asthetic piece and encourages the placeabo effect. It's your bike, if you like it get one. It is highly unlikely that you will cause any damage to your motor; provided you also use a fuel controller to trim the fuel ratio preventing a lean condition.

NMc
    Profesional technition, auto, small engine and heavy diesel with five years paid experience and many more as a hobbyist.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Quote Originally Posted by fear_cartaidh View Post
    Most motorcycle mechanics think Hyper chargers are hoaky, rattle-y and problematic but offer no better performance than a high flow air filter anyhow. They sure do look good though.
    The end result is that it is mostly an asthetic piece and encourages the placeabo effect.NMc
    2006 M-50 (Power Commander III, V&H Cruzers, Side License Mount, Mustang Seats, GPS Mount, Rear Floorboard, De-badged, Rear Filler Plate, Integrated Tail Light, Flexible LED Turn Signal, Naked Juggs, Tank Bra, Custom Speedo, Custom Mirrors, Risers, Chrome Motor, Chin Spoiler, Heavy Duty Windshield, Front Tool Bag, Windshield Tri-Pouch, Jumbo Bike Pack, Chrome Swing Arm Covers, Lower Chrome Fairing)

Upcoming Mods ()

VII
    Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    On Fire
    Unfortunatly the hypercharger is about 1 of 3 aftermarket options available for the m50
    Black Hypercharger, Cooley's 2" fluted risers, 32" Debrix drag bars, Tsukayu Coner hardbags w/integrated turn signals, Hard Krome 2.5 Strippers Black, Power Commander V, Lowered 2.5", Transformer grips, Cobra Freeway bars, Gorilla alarm, BikeMaster Sickle Mirrors, Clear turn signal lenses w/chrome tipped bulbs, Debadged tank, Cooley's rear filler plate, Custom Flame paint

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50
    Quote Originally Posted by VII View Post
    Unfortunatly the hypercharger is about 1 of 3 aftermarket options available for the m50
    Lol isn't that the truth!
    2k8 SE, 2k5 Red Parts, Mustang Vintage Wide Seat, Suzuki OEM Passenger Floorboards, 28" Drag Bars, Ken's 1" Spacers, 2nd Gen Chin Spoiler, Undertail Eliminator Kit, Relocated Turn Signals and Tag, Morton's Violators, K&N Drop In, PC-V retrofit, De-Paired, Custom Headlight, Blacking out the Chrome, Found better brakes - just have to get them on!!!

VII
    Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    On Fire
    Btw the screws that hold the hypercharger together are POS they rust really quick i suggest changing the b4 u mount it if u get one. And fyi i just got back from a ride through a surprise monsoon. No probs
    Black Hypercharger, Cooley's 2" fluted risers, 32" Debrix drag bars, Tsukayu Coner hardbags w/integrated turn signals, Hard Krome 2.5 Strippers Black, Power Commander V, Lowered 2.5", Transformer grips, Cobra Freeway bars, Gorilla alarm, BikeMaster Sickle Mirrors, Clear turn signal lenses w/chrome tipped bulbs, Debadged tank, Cooley's rear filler plate, Custom Flame paint

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCoug View Post
    +2

Without additional cost and work, they actually result in POORER performance in a lot of cases.

Recently visited a cousin and discovered she rides. Honda Shadow, nice bike, but it's got a a hyper-hype hanging off the side and she said she has trouble "keeping up" with her hubby and his friends on their Hardleys. Sad. I'm gonna try and go back soon to see if I can help straighten it out. I suspect a PO put the hyper on it with no other changes and the fix might be fairly easy.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    08 Silver & Black M50
    I have had my hypercharger for about ten months and my bike is my primary means of transportation. I have ridden in the rain a few times with no issue at all. In fact, most of the water that enters the housing drips right out, as it is not watertight. The only issue I have after installing my fuel processor, hypercharger and exhaust, is that my fuel mileage has gotten worse (because she is more responsive and more fun to ride and listen to!) Anyhow, just like with most mechanical projects, it costs money to tinker. Do your research and decide if whatever you are looking at is worth your gamble (or at least look at the return policy).

08 Black Harley Quinn Edition (one of a kind): Black Roadhouse Exhaust, Black Kury Hypercharger on a Black Powdercoat Mount, Cobra EFI, Powdercoated Black Rear Fender Brackets, Kury Pegs and Levers, Debadged

In The Zone
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Yamaha Vstar 950
    When I had my M50 it had a hyper charger on it with the skull cap on it (i think thats what its called-i dont remember). Either way I had the hypercharger, fuel programmer and an exhaust on it. My bike was a primary means of transportation during riding season. Was caught plenty of times in the rain-monsoons included. When I rode it to North Carolina to ride Tail of the Dragon, Cheralhola skyway and hellbender we got caught in the worst rain I have ever rode in. Roads were literally flooded as the rain was coming down so hard with 1-2 inches water flowing down the rain. Add in all the water splashed from traffic myself and the bike got plenty wet. Never once did it ever cause problems. There is also a small opening in the back-bottom of the charger so water and extra air can exit.

You will not have a problem with water unless you use a bucket and pour water into it-you like the looks then put it on

M50 Manual

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    -Benjamin Franklin-

Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 VZ800/Z
    Let extra air out?! Doesn't that defeat the purpose? So who is going to be the first to integrate a good looking NACA scoop? I'm a fan of the carbon NHRA funny car hood scoops myself.

NMc
    Last edited by fear_cartaidh; 02-13-2011 at 05:48 PM.
    Profesional technition, auto, small engine and heavy diesel with five years paid experience and many more as a hobbyist.

Ads