Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie here!

My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50

Newbie here!

Hey guys and gals,
    After lots of research, I decided to buy me the M50. I'm so glad I made this choice!
    2006 with somewhat high mileage (16k) but looks like it was well taken care of...

1)My first concern is the mileage, actually....should there be something in particular I should be aware of?
    2)I did notice the threads regarding the final drive...is it an issue for that year also?

As for the mods, my plans are:
    -A new exhaust (possibly flat black, something a bit louder, but nothing crazy (maybe just debaflle?)
    -Chin spoiler (love the way it looks)
    -2" handlebar risers (I'm 5'10")
    -lower 2"
    -tail light mod
    -seat

I basically want mine to look like the bike that shape-master shows of the chin spoiler with.....BTW, what's the actual name of that blue?
    You can see a few pics of mine in my album.

Thanks in advance!!

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50
    Attached Images  

Sit speling cheker
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Victory Cross Roads
    Congrats on the new bike, same year and color and just about the same mileage as mine! 16k is not high mileage at all on a 2006 model motorcycle with a 800cc engine! That is only 2300 miles a year on average put on it and any serious rider will put that on in a couple of months or less. Just download the service manual from this forum and go from there. I would change the rear diff gear oil, drain and refill antifreeze, adjust rear brake, bleed front brakes and put in fresh fluid and of course change the oil and filter. All these things are easy to do and can be done in about half a day. I would also pull the plugs and inspect and probably change them. I debaffled my exhaust and the sound was great and didn't cost me anything but the downside is that on the interstate and wearing a full face helmet the drone would really bother me, even with ear plugs. I also wouldn't lower the bike at your height unless you just have to have that look. Kills your cornering and will stiffen the ride up, just take some tension off of the rear suspension (tool is is your tool kit).

Sit speling cheker
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Victory Cross Roads
    Oh yeah, pull that awful looking warning sticker off the tank as well as the Suzuki on the rear fender and those ugly reflectors!!

My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50
    Thanks for the advice....
    I bought this bike from a dealer, don't you think they prep it before selling? I'm just curious..now you got me thinking.
    I am kinda sorta handy(carpentry), but no mechanic skills....I know if I really wanted to , I would do these things you're suggesting but what if I really don't have the time? do you have any actual figures as to what the dealers charge for such work? examples?

I really appreciate your answers..
    and yeah, sticker is leaving soon...

Sit speling cheker
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Victory Cross Roads
    I would doubt your dealer did any prepping, probably just gave it a wash and put a for sale sign on it. For peace of mind I would change all the fluids and you may want to have the valves adjusted. You can do it all yourself except for the valves, they are a little tougher and if you are not sure about it then let someone else do it. You may want to find an independent motorcycle mechanic to work on your bike instead of the dealership as well. Most dealerships charge anywhere from $70 to $125 an hour or even more. I would do it yourself because you know it is done right and you get to know your bike a little better.

Ads