Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

Has anyone put a Laminar Lip on a Memphis Shades...

I got a 20" MS Big shot and need another few inches (yea, yea...that's what she said!).

Has anyone installed a universal Laminar Lip on one of the MS windshields? Got pics?

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Victory Cross Roads
    Haven't seen one on a M50 but man those lip extensions things are ugly.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by rch10007 View Post
    I got a 20" MS Big shot and need another few inches
    What's the nature of the problem ?

If you have a lot of "shield adjustment" experience.......then never mind.

But there are things that can be done and adjustments made that aren't necessarily obvious.

I have a Bigshot on two bikes and thought I had found the perfect setup, with lowers.......but the more I
    ride, the more I think that it could still be better.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

The problem is just normal buffeting issues... I've adjusted it as much as can be. Up, down, angle in and out, but it's just too short. I'm trying my cheaper options first before trying a whole new windshield.

My Bike(s)
    The problem is just normal buffeting issues...
    Again, not knowing your level of experience or expertise.................

Often the rumbling wind noise and very slight force against the helmet is really caused by
    air coming in from the bottom (or sides)and NOT the top.
    Air that just grazes the top of the helmet often is not really a problem.

You can test for that by using one hand and arm across your chest or up beside the helmet while riding at speed to
    see where the offending wind is really coming from (or both arms if you are comfortable "hands free").
    I have put lowers on along with my BigShot and improved the situation a LOT......but still not perfect.
    I get some wind noise at speed but no real force against the head....AND I can eliminate the noise almost 100% by
    crossing my arms across my chest or by putting my hands on the sides of my helmet.

So.....the dilema remains, kind of. What I have left is not really bad and I probably will just live with it.
    I'm sure that I don't need any more height on my shield. I might need a little more width or a different
    position with the lowers but that's a hassle I probably won't tackle.

P.S. Where are you located ?
    When things like this come up, I've often thought that it would be helpful
    to be able to trade bikes for a test ride.

ER, I appreciate the help. Let's say that I know just enough to be dangerous but nobody has welded my toolbox shut, yet.

I assume you are familiar with buffeting. Please assume that we are describing the same thing. The problem I have is a windscreen that is too short. I have no issue with air coming from the side of the screen or up from between my legs. The air causing my issue is from the top of the screen. I'm 6'2" and been on enough bikes to have my share of issues, naked and faired. However, this is my wife's bike. I do ride it and normally take the screen off but would like to set it up so I don't have to do that. The Laminar lip would be easier and cheaper to remove when I'm not in the driver's seat as opposed to the entire windscreen. BUT, the Lip may not work and I would like to know who has experience with using one on a MS screen or heck, even an OEM screen.

I'm not complaining about wind issues here, I'm looking for a solution. So far, no adjustments I have made seem to work. I can buy a new screen, a bigger one, and use the MS lip that matches their screens but I will hold off on that expensive route until I figure out what else I can do.

Again, please assume the windshield is too short in this case. What other solutions are there besides a taller screen or some sort of lip, like the Laminar piece? I've already used flatbar to adjust the mounting points of the screen to raise it high enough to fix the issue but that looks like %%%% and my wife doesn't like the huge gap it leaves between the headlight and bottom of the screen, so I'm back to search for other solutions.

I live in San Antonio, TX and put about 200 miles on the M50 per week. I also have or had many many bikes over the last 20+ years.

My Bike(s)
    Again, please assume the windshield is too short in this case.
    OK, if that really IS the case, then I agree with you checking out the lip option.

That is if you REALLY know the problem air is coming over the screen.
    I'm not saying that to be a stubborn ass........but because over the years, I've seen TONS of riders who
    just make that assumption and are later amazed to find that it isn't valid.
    I was one of them for a fairly long time.

So, if you have tested by sloutching down in the seat and thus dropping your helmet down 5 or 6 inches and noticed a big difference.......I will shut up and see what others know about the lip.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    OK, if that really IS the case, then I agree with you checking out the lip option.
    So, if you have tested by sloutching down in the seat and thus dropping your helmet down 5 or 6 inches and noticed a big difference.......I will shut up and see what others know about the lip.
    I have, and the good news is I only need about 3 more inches! Ya, ya...that's what she said! :p

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Victory Cross Roads
    Are you sure all your problems is wind coming over the screen??? I am 6'1" and have the memphis shades pop-top on mine which is a very small windscreen and I do not have that much buffeting problems. Easy already mentioned checking for wind from the sides and underneath so you may want to check that again. Buffeting is caused by a pocket of air caused by the windshield that is not stable, with air rushing in to fill the void. I bet a set of lowers may solve you problem or changing your riding position may help. Helmet style makes a big difference as well.

Again, I appreciate the help and offers for a different solution to my issue but it's wind from over the top of the screen, no where else. Trust me, for months I have exhausted every option before I posted here. I don't like to waste folks time and that's why my question is very direct. Has anyone put a lip on a MS screen before? This is the info that I need. Thank you for the reply.

My Bike(s)
    Has anyone put a lip on a MS screen before? This is the info that I need. Thank you for the reply.
    This is a very high quality forum but not usually a very high VOLUME one.

I hope you are asking in some other fourms too......as the situation would not be unique to the bike model.

I've been searching for the perfect windshield for about 40 years now.......and am seriously tempted to try a batwing "fairing" next.....since nothing else I have tried really makes me happy.

Your perfect windsheild is installed on my truck! But, you'll have to get your own!

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Victory Cross Roads
    I would try a really short windshield and see how the buffeting is. As I said, I have a short windshield (comes up right below my chin) with no major problems. It could also be a different opinion on what bad buffeting really is. It is a motorcycle and you are going to get some wind on you.

The windshield, as is, is perfect for my wife so I won't be changing it out. I don't mind wind at all. Normally, I would just remove the screen but I am growing weary of changing it back and forth and am just looking for a different solution that works with what I have. I've owned Bandit's and ZRX's and DR's and KLR's and Shadow's and even a Harley or 2 and even more. The only wind that is bothersome to me is that turbulant kind that raps on the top of my helmet! Well, that's not entirely true...having wind blow up your leg while your feet are spread out on highway pegs gets annoying too. However, that can be fixed enroute by closing your legs. What you can't fix is a screen that is too short.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    what color is it?

Ads