Need some help with M50 add-ons please!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bike(s)
    2013 Suzuki Boulevard M50

Need some help with M50 add-ons please!

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum - just got a new 2013 Boulevard M50. I am not new to riding, but new to motorcycle add-ons (my previous bike was bought used and already had the right modifications) - so I have a few questions I was hoping someone might be able to help me with.

I am looking to get four add-ons to the bike:

1. Sissy bar

- How do they work in terms of fit? Are they universal?

When I google "2013 M50 sissy bar" I get nothing, except things like this: "Amazon.com: TMS® Backrest Sissy Bar Luggage Rack for 01-12 Suzuki Volusia Boulevard Vl800 M50 C50: Automotive" (sorry, can't post links yet as it's my first post) which says it would work for '05-09 models - does that mean it would not work for my 2013? If so could you please point me to where I could get a relatively inexpensive one for my bike? I put in my bike info on a website called JPCycles and got some results, but they are pretty expensive ~$300 and do not seem to indicate that they are specifically for my model. Wondering if there are universal, less expensive ones?

2. Floorboards

Same question as above in terms of fit - what would work for my bike? I would also really like to have the heel-gear-shifting system - can anyone recommend one for this bike?

3. Engine Guards

Same question again in terms of fit - are they universal? What would be 'standard' ones for my bike?

4. New slightly brighter headlight bulb with white light

Which bulb would I need, and any recommendations?

Any recommendations/secrets for getting the above items at a good value?

Thanks very much!

Best,

Andrey

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 900, Can-AM Spyder
    First you should see a Suzuki dealer.

Most of those things you asked about will be available in an OEM version or the dealer will know what will fit.

After that, if price really is important, you can do further searching.

Given the stock headlight bulb type (number) you should be able to get a slightly brighter version at any auto parts store.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Suzuki M50
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreyM50 View Post
    Hi everyone,

1. Sissy bar

- How do they work in terms of fit? Are they universal?

Andrey
    The rear Fender Rails are different on the "new" M50. The two mounting bolt holes are spaced differently.
    Also on the older style M50, the front hole is lower than the rear hole. The "new" M50's mounting holes are almost horizontal.

This means anything mounted to those rails needs to be made for them or very adjustable. The sissy bar MUST be for the new model.

Since Canada, Australia and Europe have had the "new" model since 2010, searching there for accessories might be useful.
    I got my sissy bar from Europe in 2011. Suzuki Australia wanted ridiculous dollars for original gear.

I can't comment on your other questions.

Good luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2013 M109R, 2016 C90T, 2007 M50
    I will throw this in for you as far as sissy bars go. I never put the one on I bought for my 109 because I'm going a different route with it, but I researched before the purchase. Don't buy a cheap sissy bar or you get what you pay for. Nearly every post I've read from the forums I belong to have stated that most cheap setups tend to bend after time and in some cases almost imediately. $300-$400 is about right for the quality ones especially if you get a rack with them. For my 109, Im getting a Corbin seat that has a removable backrest that goes behind the seat and there's a company on Ebay that offers a rack that slides on the bar for the rest. It's possible that you can do the same for a 50. The nice thing is when you don't need the backrest, it's easily removable.
    As long as it's not them that has to pay, no one really minds the debt.

My Bike(s)
    2013 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    The sissy bar is my #1 concern right now - are there any recommendations/sources for them?

The only one I could find is MC Enterprises - anyone have any experience with that brand, are they any good?

Any others out there?

Thank you!

My Bike(s)
    07 M50, 09 V Star 1300, 07 Yamaha Majesty
    Not sure what is available for M50 but there is such a thing as an "Quick Release" sissy bar. Wish that I would have gone that way a couple of times in my life, rather than the hard fixed mount.

Highway bars/engine guards...pick one you like.

Just put some Kuryakyn mini floor boards on my 07 M50, really like them.

Pick a vendor any vendor and search...
    Cruiser Customing
    Phat performance parts
    Bike Bandit
    Motorcycle SUperstore
    etc. etc.
    Last edited by DoubleStuff; 06-19-2015 at 09:44 AM.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Suzuki M50
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreyM50 View Post
    The sissy bar is my #1 concern right now - are there any recommendations/sources for them?

The only one I could find is MC Enterprises
    According to their website, they ONLY have sissy bars for 2005 - 2009
    I'll say it again, in case you missed it earlier. They don't fit your 2013 model.

According to a well known US manufacturer, the hole spacing on the fender rails for the "old" model is 212.79mm,
    but the new model according to my tape measure is 202mm.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Suzuki M50 SE
    Quote Originally Posted by SundayRider View Post
    According to their website, they ONLY have sissy bars for 2005 - 2009
    I'll say it again, in case you missed it earlier. They don't fit your 2013 model.

According to a well known US manufacturer, the hole spacing on the fender rails for the "old" model is 212.79mm,
    but the new model according to my tape measure is 202mm.
    Suzuki may not offer sissybars yet but you may be able to find some from other companies that only do accessories for bikes & they're usually much cheaper. That's how I got my sissybar & luggage rack for my 2009 M50. Most sites will give you the option to put in your model, year of bike & will bring up accessories that will fit that specific model. Hope this helps!

My Bike(s)
    2013 Suzuki M50
    AndreyM50, I'm also new to this board and I recently bought a new 2013 M50 and I installed several add-ons including Cobra highway bars, Viking bags, Suzuki sissy bar and Suzuki passenger back rest, Suzuki tall windshield, Suzuki luggage rack and phone mount.

Here's a photo of my naked bike when I purchased it.

Here's a photo after the windshield, sissy bar and luggage rack were added.

Here's a photo after I added the Viking saddle bags.

My Bike(s)
    2013 Suzuki M50
    The Suzuki part number for the back rest is: 990A0-75059.
    The Suzuki part number for the mounting hardware: 99000-99074-85N.
    The Suzuki part number for the rack: 990A0-75166.
    It gets expensive using factory add-ons. Expect to spend $800 or more for those three parts.
    You can find less expensive aftermarket options but for the most part, the Suzuki parts fit better and look better with the exception of the Suzuki crash bars. I returned those and bought the Cobra bars because they offer better protection and look better.

My Bike(s)
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50 (Blue)

Viking Bags

Quote Originally Posted by BikerJames View Post
    The Suzuki part number for the back rest is: 990A0-75059.
    The Suzuki part number for the mounting hardware: 99000-99074-85N.
    The Suzuki part number for the rack: 990A0-75166.
    It gets expensive using factory add-ons. Expect to spend $800 or more for those three parts.
    You can find less expensive aftermarket options but for the most part, the Suzuki parts fit better and look better with the exception of the Suzuki crash bars. I returned those and bought the Cobra bars because they offer better protection and look better.
    Hi Biker James,

I like those saddle bags. I guess they are viking bags. What size are they, medium or large?

thanks,

12vz800

My Bike(s)
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50

Luggage rack

Biker James: I too have a new bike, the '09 M50 and am having trouble finding accessories like the luggage rack and stand off brackets for the saddlebags.

I too would like to know what size Vikings those are. I looked up the Viking Slanted bags with the two buckles. Depending on the size I may need the stand off brackets, which according to the dealer for the left and right and u shaped metal brackets that keep the bags off the rear wheel are $300. They said the only one available through Suzuki in leather with brackets and hardware would be about $850.

For that I'd rather buy American made leather bags from Leatherhead Mike for $500 and try and get the hardware used if someone is selling it to upgrade. The only luggage rack available when I went in the dealer is the one you have in your pics. Looks like the Cobra in laser cut steel or aluminum. The stock Suki is aluminum. When I went back to the dealer the number they cross referenced in the catalog said it only fit the 2014-2015 and they thought the '09 was discontinued. They said they would have to try and find an old catalog and research it and get back with me. Been couple days and no call.

I have the stock seat and stock sissy bar. I like the Cobra tubular steel luggage rack but don't want to have to buy a Cobra sissy bar just to put a Cobra rack. It was either Jp Cycles or Dennis Kirk I called and they said, like I found when I searched that the Cobra luggage rack only fits the Cobra sissy bar even though my stock sissy bar and the Cobra both say the vertical bolts are one inch centers. I believe the angle of the bracket on the rack is so it might hit the rear fender.

In regards to saddle bags I need to get the Suki standoff brackets since the one for my model has two holes that line up with the stock backrest torex bolts. The brackets have two additional holes drilled that allow you to mount the bags back further so the rider's feet and legs don't hit while on the foot pegs. I first want to get the rack and luggage bag and can focus on the saddle bags later. I see above where there is a difference in the distance between the two bolts from the '09 and '14-'15. Here's my bike.

Can't figure out how to rotate the image, tried everything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need some help with M50 add-ons please!-img_1664-2-.jpg  
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 09-14-2015 at 08:09 AM.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 900, Can-AM Spyder
    Welcome Brian.

I took the liberty to format your post just a little bit.
    It makes it MUCH easier to read that way.

As for the picture, you must rotate, crop and resize it BEFORE you upload it here.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2016 Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by falafal View Post
    Biker James: I too have a new bike, the '09 M50 and am having trouble finding accessories like the luggage rack and stand off brackets for the saddlebags.
    Saddlebag brackets that should fit your 2009 M50, but based on what other posters have said, probably not M50 models after 2010.
    Show Chrome Accessories Saddlebag Supports (Chrome)- Suzuki Volusia/ C50/ M50

My research indicates that the luggage rack will need to match the sissy bar. Generally speaking, the luggage rack will come from the same vendor who produces the sissy bar. I have seen a few that claim to work with the OEM sissybar.

My Bike(s)
    2013 Suzuki M50
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vz800 View Post
    Hi Biker James,

I like those saddle bags. I guess they are viking bags. What size are they, medium or large?

thanks,

12vz800
    Hi. Sorry for the really late reply. The bags are medium. I initially ordered the large bags but I found that they were so large that they interfered with the passenger pegs. I returned them and ordered the mediums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links