Engine tear down reveals scored piston - 2005 M50 - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Right...well if the IATS detects a cold climate it may be running the fuel ratio over rich ...as indicated by the piston top. This can wash the oil from the bore and piston if severe enough. Good luck anyway.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    Quote Originally Posted by rpjense View Post
    Steve; good info. I live in Minnesota, which is a cold weather state (notice my avatar). So I don't think IATS is the issue. Since this fixer-upper is now going to cost a lot more than initially planned, I think I might pick up a Power Commander. Cheap insurance. Especially if I decide to add a pipe next spring.
    I have a gman bully for the 2005-2009 m50. It's brand new, I traded my bike in before I got around to installing it. PM me if you're interested.

My Bike(s)
    M50
    Just an end-of-season followup. I finally rebuilt my M50's engine and she runs like a champ. Now there's absolutely no cam chain noise. Total parts including new pistons, rings, cam chains, new cam chain adjusters, gasket kit, flywheel puller, etc was around $800. Add another $130 for machine work (boring). So now I've got about $1,800 into it. If you had to pay a shop to do the repairs, add about 30% to the cost of the parts (suggested retail & sales tax). Then labor (7 hours @ $100/hr?). It took me about 10 hours, but I took my time. I did not add any fuel management system since the original map seems spot on. Lastly, I attribute the 4 corner piston damage to the previous owner not allowing the engine to warm up properly before taking off down the road.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 900, Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by rpjense View Post
    Lastly, I attribute the 4 corner piston damage to the previous owner not allowing the engine to warm up properly before taking off down the road.
    Not sure I agree with that. I think there had to be another factor involved.

ALL of the engine parts should be fully lubricated after about 10 strokes of the pistons.
    That happens in about the first 2 seconds of running.

A little warmup is good but a VERY little is actually required.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links