M50 oil leak problem
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki M50

Question M50 oil leak problem

Hi! I have a 2007 M50 that has now blown a seal at the back of the engine on the left hand side for the 3rd time since I bought it 2.5 months ago. I''m starting to get annoyed with it and even though it is covered under the warranty by the dealer. It is currently back in the shop AGAIN to be repaired. My question is, what would cause the seal to keep blowing out?? The dealer won't give me any straight answers or tell me exactly which seal it is. All I know is he has replace a seal and a gasket, but it has sprung a leak AGAIN.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Without knowing which seal it is makes it difficult to pin down a reason. It could be the case is slightly damaged from when someone removed the seal for the first time. It could be a vent that isnt working properly.

I would insist on knowing why the seal is failing and where it is. Try and get an exploded view of our engine/gearbox...this is a shaft dive bike yes? If it is I would suspect the seal at the engine end of the shaft...it may be the shaft is out of balance...or a universal joint is worn...causing premature seal wear and failure.

Good luck
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki M50
    Hi Aussie Steve! Thanks for your response. Yes, it is a drive shaft bike. I tried asking the dealer today why it keeps blowing the seal, and he just responded with "I don't know... that's what I have techies for and it's their job to fix it." Me being somewhat pissed off responded with "Well, this is now the third time I have had to bring the bike back for the same issue, so clearly they don't know what they are doing!"

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 900, Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Millie View Post
    "Well, this is now the third time I have had to bring the bike back for the same issue, so clearly they don't know what they are doing!"
    Or to put it another way "Obviously they are NOT fixing it. Why ??" is a perfectly legitimate question to ask......and you should expect a clear answer.
    If this is a Suzuki dealer, consider contacting the company directly. Contact information should be in your original owners manual or warranty book.

If you are not talking to the actual owner of the shop already, start there.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Being an 07 model I suspect its a used machine and a three month dealer warranty and thus contacting Suzuki directly isnt an option.

Could you speak to the mechanic directly...without the dealer principle knowing....although if there is a problem with the bike along the lines I outlined he may be reluctant to speak to you.

An alternative is take it somewhere else and see what they say...would probably cost and the original dealer would almost certainly disagree with anything found which would then make it a civil court case, presumably...unless the vehicle is deemed un-roadworthy.

Good luck

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
    thus contacting Suzuki directly isnt an option.
    Contacting the manufacturer directly is ALWAYS an option if you are dealing with an authorized dealer........to see if they can put pressure on them to actually do their job right.

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Contacting the manufacturer directly is ALWAYS an option if you are dealing with an authorized dealer........to see if they can put pressure on them to actually do their job right.
    Except that it's not a warranty issue, and given Suzuki's so far subpar performance regarding customer service, they won't care. You can try of course, but it's most likely a waste of time and will only lead to further aggravation. The OP needs a better mechanic, or at the very least, a 2nd opinion on what's actually wrong with the bike. If she'll post her location, maybe someone on here can direct her to someone more reputable?

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by turboyoshi View Post
    Except that it's not a warranty issue, and given Suzuki's so far subpar performance regarding customer service, they won't care.
    OK maybe true for Suzuki but not true for others.
    Some companies actually care about their reputation, as personified by their dealerships.

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    I would not be dealing with the head office in the country you are in, America? given their pathetic performance to date...(same here in Au from other forum members experience)...contacting the head office in Japan would be my next step....a courtesy note to the American head office stating your decision and why.

Sponsored Links