Noise over 50mph
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    2006 M50 /2006 Roadstar

Noise over 50mph

06 M50 with just under 50,000 miles. Under 50 mph runs good with normal engine and wind noise, once over 50 it makes a metallic squeal noise that is tied to road speed not engine speed. Doesn't matter if you are in 4th or 5th gear, doesn't change sound if you pull in the clutch, apply front brake or rear brake. We have changed rear end oil, greased spline on drive shaft and replaced front wheel bearing. Absolutely no extra noises under 50 and once above 50 noise starts and pitch goes up as speed increases. Our next step is to have it run on a dyno to see it it is the back end or the front causing the noise. Any suggestions? We have owned the bike for several years and put over 30,000 of the 50,000 on the bike with no problems.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 900, Can-AM Spyder
    I know this might be obvious but........have you checked REAL closely to be sure one of the tires isn't rubbing on a fender or something similar ?

Also some brake pads have "squealers" that come into play when worn down.

Then.....50K miles is a LOT to have on a shaft drive that is known for problems.

Your dyno idea is good. Might be able to do that just with an axle jack, for the back end at least.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    2006 M50 /2006 Roadstar
    Put the bike on my jack and spun the front tire by hand and everything seemed ok, let it idle in gear on the jack to check the rear, but didn't have nerve to run the speed up. I removed the windshield, saddlebags and backrest to make sure the noise was not wind induced. My hope is the dyno will at least isolate the problem. The shop I used tried the spline grease first and when that didn't fix it I suggested the front bearing. Brake pads only have about 1500 miles on them. The first 50 miles after the bearings I thought the noise was gone, but my wife rides it everyday and she said it never stopped and has only gotten worse.

Sponsored Links