Some kind of "Franken-filter" mod
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki Boulevard M50

Some kind of "Franken-filter" mod

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and I was hoping you guys might be able to give me some advice on something. I just bought a 2008 M50 about two weeks ago and I've put maybe 300 miles on it already. I bought it with about 9100 miles and it seems to run good. It's my first bike so I don't know a lot about motorcycles in general, but I'm learning as I go. Everything on the bike is stock (according to the last owner) except the air cleaner. It appears to me the he modded the stock air cleaner to fit an Edelbrock air cleaner meant for a carb on a car? I'm not 100% sure on this so I'm hoping you guys could help me out. I've attached 4 pictures of the air cleaner with and without the filter attached. I would really like to replace it with the stock air cleaner and a K&N high flow filter, but I'd probably have to pay someone to do it. I'm not sure if he had the bike tuned after doing this mod or if he just slapped it on there and off he went. Any information or advice anyone might have would be appreciated and feel free to fire any questions at me that you might have.Some kind of "Franken-filter" mod-img_0005.jpgSome kind of "Franken-filter" mod-img_0008.jpgSome kind of "Franken-filter" mod-img_0011.jpgSome kind of "Franken-filter" mod-img_0007.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Yeah, that definitely looks cobbled together. And that is the same filter I used to use on my Camaro back in the day! Pic 3 seems to show that the stock airbox base is still there. Hopefully, you can just pull the Edelbrock, buy a new filter and outer cover for the airbox, and be good to go. I'd imagine that, if he didn't re-flash the ECU, it would probably run pretty badly with that setup. If it runs ok, you'll probably have to re-tune the ECU again.

Here's a link to the parts list for the airbox: 2008 Suzuki Boulevard M50 (VZ800) AIR CLEANER (MODEL K9) | Ron Ayers. Hope that helps!

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 900, Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze View Post
    I would really like to replace it with the stock air cleaner and a K&N high flow filter,
    Stock air box is good. K&N filter is NOT good.

When K&N says their filters "were designed to increase horsepower", they leave off the second part which is: "on custom designed race cars."

Simply replacing the air filter gets you on a slippery slope where you might have to live with REDUCED performance or spend a bunch of extra money to get the tune back right.

IF......the filter that is on it now is a pleated paper one AND you can find replacements.......why not just continue to use what's there ??
    Don't believe everything that you think.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    Thanks for the replies! I think the stock box is there too, but it might have and extra hole in it now. I called around today and the 2 motorcycle repair shops in the area both said the same thing. 1. They wouldn't rebuild it back to stock because it could be too time consuming. 2. The they couldn't retune the ECM without adding a Power Commander. This is always the problem I run into in my area, even if you're willing to pay for it, no one seems to want to work on any bike over 5 years old (unless it's a Harley). Anyway I think I'm just going to ride it out and see what happens. My only concern with the Edelbrock is it's pretty much just a chunk of foam in there and if it gets wet at all it's just going to suck water right into the intake so no riding in the rain for me I guess. Thanks again for the replies, I've learned a lot from this forum already.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    1. They wouldn't rebuild it back to stock because it could be too time consuming.
    the Edelbrock is it's pretty much just a chunk of foam
    You shouldn't trust either of those shops because......they can't make a call like that without SEEING what is on there now.

And you should NOT run that foam filter very long because it doesn't filter fine dust very good.

And you might be amazed at how much better the bike runs if you get the right air intake on it.

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    1. They wouldn't rebuild it back to stock because it could be too time consuming. 2. The they couldn't retune the ECM without adding a Power Commander.
    1) is bs. The solution though is to buy a stock airbox and install it yourself. It isn't difficult. Check ebay, craigslist, or salvage yards.
    2) it's highly unlikely someone went through the effort of reflashing the ECM. You usually wouldn't even need to unless you modified both the air intake and the exhaust. Even then, it's more likely they would have installed a PC or other fuel manager rather than flash the ecm which not many people can do. Flashing the ecm requires a bit more expertise and usually, money. If your PO had money, he wouldn't have done the hack job he did on the airbox.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by turboyoshi View Post
    1) is bs. The solution though is to buy a stock airbox and install it yourself. It isn't difficult. Check ebay, craigslist, or salvage yards.
    2) it's highly unlikely someone went through the effort of reflashing the ECM. You usually wouldn't even need to unless you modified both the air intake and the exhaust. Even then, it's more likely they would have installed a PC or other fuel manager rather than flash the ecm which not many people can do. Flashing the ecm requires a bit more expertise and usually, money. If your PO had money, he wouldn't have done the hack job he did on the airbox.
    All very valid points! I kinda edged up to the "it'd already have a PC if it runs right", but yeah. I just figured that anything that open on the intake would've HAD to get mapped.

My Bike(s)
    Just wanted to stop back by and say thanks to everyone for the replies. I ended up replacing the whole thing. The PO had drove a couple of random bolts into the original air box. It probably would have been fine, but I decided to err on the side of caution. I've only gotten to ride it once for about 10 minutes and it seems to run a lot better than before. It would miss occasionally but now seems to run much more smoothly and I would even say that I get a little better response from the throttle. I would also venture to guess that he never flashed the ECM so moral of the story don't slap some crazy ass filter on your bike no matter how much you hate the stock filter!

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    And now it is time for a healthy dose of Berrymans B12 Chemtool in the gas to finish the job.
    Or Techron if it is fuel injected.

My Bike(s)
    Oddly enough I just ran the last of the gas from my tank with Chevron Total Fuel System cleaner in it. I'm not sure if it's just the "placebo effect" but honestly I feel like the bike is running a lot better after the air box and injection cleaner. I also did a fresh oil change just before the air box rebuild, so the only thing left to do is ride it! It's turned cold again the last Couple of days in IL so I've only been able to put a few miles on it so we'll see

Sponsored Links