Coolant change on M50/M800
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    M800

Coolant change on M50/M800

I didnt want to bring back any old threads from years ago but I am looking to replace my coolant as ive neglected it for far far too long. Is OAT coolant for aluminium radiators okay or does it have to be the ethylene glycol stuff?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    If you do not experience freezing conditions then an ethyl Glycol isn't really needed, although it does help with reducing overheating too. You do need the inhibitors though and as the OAT website states it does have them so it should be fine.

As with anything like this it is always advisable to stick with the recommended products...except where they are the manufacturers specific consumables such as oils etc.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    The ethyl-glycol type is factory and recommended in the manual. It does not mix well with OAT so make sure you flush that system very well. As long as the coolant you use is silicate free, you should be fine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    M800
    Cheers fellas, stuck with the recommended stuff, didnt want to risk not flushing it well enough and then killing the engine

Which one (brand/product) did you pick? Any tips - I plan to do mine this/next weekend?

My Bike(s)
    M800
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas2717 View Post
    Which one (brand/product) did you pick? Any tips - I plan to do mine this/next weekend?
    Ah I popped into my local bike shop and got it from them as its what they use for servicing, threw the bottle out already and cant for the life of me remember the brand

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    One thing is to make sure you 'burp' the system...that is remove any air bubbles that may occur. typically this is done with the motor running the radiator cap off and the bike tipped from side to side. Care needs to be taken when tipping the bike....obviously....and do not leave it running without the cap for too long.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
    One thing is to make sure you 'burp' the system...that is remove any air bubbles that may occur. typically this is done with the motor running the radiator cap off and the bike tipped from side to side. Care needs to be taken when tipping the bike....obviously....and do not leave it running without the cap for too long.
    Great tip - Thank you!

Sponsored Links