Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2007 GSX-R1000 Black/orange!

wiring! where to hide it?

On the left side by the fuse box, there is all of my wiring and harnesses.. I have had problems in the past with turning the forks all the way to the right, and blowing a fuse because an exposed wire touches the fork. It happened once to the headlight. It happened once the other night.. to the turn signal wire. Each time, I found the exposed wire and taped it up nice. Then it happened again to the turn signal fuse! I looked in there and can't find ANY exposed wires.. I've checked the harnesses through and through.

Now when I'm leaving the driveway and have to turn the handlebars all the way right, I keep the ignition off so it won't blow a fuse. This is annoying.

My real problem is that I don't know where to hide these harnesses/wires. I thought they were supposed to go under the side panel under the fairing.. but I tried to position it all to fit there, and there were way too many wires/plugs, and the panel wouldn't fit back on. There is a clip under the fuse box where I can pull some of the wires back with it, but that doesn't seem to be helping too much. Where do I stash these wires so my forks won't hit any of them?!

Also, what's the best way to protect these wires from water, etc? .. looms, heat shrink stuff? What is the best thing to use?

U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security
    www.dhs.gov

.. hence strength and security

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Administrator

My Bike(s)
    SV650S '05 (Blue) -SOLD-
    Exposed wires??? That make a short when turning the handlebars??? Get that short fixed ASAP!

As for protection, there are a few nice alternatives. Performix make some liquid tape. Never used it but I've used their PlastiDip which is pretty schweet stuff.
    Louis

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2007 GSX-R1000 Black/orange!
    Thanks, Louis. Is there an easier way to find the wire? I have just been taking the harnesses and looking up and down the wires one by one.. and I already covered the other wire that was exposed [that was blowing the same fuse]. Can't find it for anything.

That company seems to make some pretty good products.. but if I brushed the coloured plastic coating onto the wires, I would end up not knowing which wire is which..

U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security
    www.dhs.gov

.. hence strength and security

Administrator

My Bike(s)
    SV650S '05 (Blue) -SOLD-
    You do have to find the exposed wire first before repairing the wire. As for finding it, idnetify which circuit the fuse you blow is on and using your service manual, check the wires one by one. I don't know of any easier way.
    Louis

Ads