Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki S50

Motor Hesitation during slow speed manuvers

36 degrees out tonight and on my way home, after about 25 miles of interstate riding. The motor on my 2005 S50 started to hesitate and sputter during slow speed manuvers. It even backfired a few times during the last 5 miles from the interstate to the house. The bike has almost 5,000 miles on it and has not had any problems until now. I filled the bike up with 87 octane gas right after leaving work and turned off the choke completely before getting onto the highway. I would take it to the dealership, but they are closed on Sunday and I work all day Monday. I have another ride I'm committed to on Tuesday so any advice on this would be appreciated. I've worked on plenty of cars but this is my first bike.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Some bikes, due to lean factory mixes, just need some choke when it's that cold. Have you changed anything in the intake/exhaust? Your bike's EFI, right? Have you had it out in temps that low before?
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki S50
    The bike is bone stock right now. Carberated not injected and I've had it out in temps like this all winter. I commute 60 miles a day on it. The only time I don't ride is when it is going to rain/snow/sleet or get too much below 30.

Sit speling cheker
    You filled up before your trip home so I would suggest that you might have got some bad gas, it takes awhile for it to show up sometimes. could be water in there. I would drain the tank and refill it and add some dry gas to it before going to the dealer.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    I agree with Danr: your first step should be to simply add some dry gas to your tank. I wouldn't even worry about draining the gas, as you will run through the tank in less than two days, just put some dry gas in the tank now, and again when you fill up.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

Supporting Vendor
    If you got gas that has water in it and the temps are that low, with the wind chill factor, you might get some carb icing. Which could cause what you are discribing.

Wife's pet :)
    My Bike(s)
    04 volusia 800
    i have to run with the choke on alittle when it's below 55 or it sputters also. never sputters with choke applied. just runs lean
    sky

My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki S50
    I ran that tank until almost empty. The bike ran like crap the whole time. Then drained the last of it out and added fresh gas. Problem gone!
    Dealership said I should check my idle speed. They said it may be set too high????

(5,000 miles in cold weather all winter without any problems)

Sit speling cheker
    Quote Originally Posted by tnichols
    I ran that tank until almost empty. The bike ran like crap the whole time. Then drained the last of it out and added fresh gas. Problem gone!
    Dealership said I should check my idle speed. They said it may be set too high????

(5,000 miles in cold weather all winter without any problems)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danr
    You filled up before your trip home so I would suggest that you might have got some bad gas, it takes awhile for it to show up sometimes. could be water in there. I would drain the tank and refill it and add some dry gas to it before going to the dealer.
    Now hear this: Pat Pat Pat

That's me reaching around with my arm to pat myself on the back

Ads