Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    2006 V-Strom DL1000

Getting the seat off of a Intruder 1994

Well I am trying to help my son long distance.

We are having some trouble and need to know how the seat and side covers come off of a 1994 Suzuki Intruder 1400

I would also appreciate any thoughts on the following...

The bike started, he rode several blocks and the engine died. The lights activate when the key is turned to the on position, but nothing happens when the start button is depressed.

It is not acting like the battery is low/dead as there is no sound clicking or otherwise to indicate the starter is trying to it's thing.

ANyway I thought if we could get to the battery he could try to jump start it.

Any thoughts or advice are welcome.

Thakn you
    DavidLSI

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    OK, for starters, the battery is not under the seat. It's on the very bottom of the bike, just in front of the rear tire, inside that black metal box hanging under the frame. Makes it pretty hard to get to it, and I'm sure some Suzuki engineer laughs his ass off everytime you need to get to the battery.

Easy things first: Is the clutch pulled all the way in when you try and start it? Even if the bike is in neutral you need to pull the clutch all the way in.

If the headlight goes out when you hit the starter button, the battery cables are probably loose or have a bad connection. Or maybe the battery is almost dead.

Use a screwdriver to reach in and check the battery connections- a slotted on the negative side and a philips on the possitive side. If the connections are good, you can try jumping the bike from another bike using two wires with aligator clips, or other small clips that will reach in there.

If the headlight stays on but the starter will not turn, you probably have a bad starter relay or safety switch issue. Check the relay first: Remove the one bolt holding the seat on (back under the sissy bar. Then remove the 10mm bolt on left side cover and pull the cover off. Pull in the clutch, put the bike in neutral, turn on the key, and use a screwdriver to jump the two terminals on the relay. If the engine cranks, replace the relay. If nothing happens...

If you are in neutral with the clutch pulled in, and nothing happens, then check the wire connection to the clutch safety switch. Pull them off the connector and jump the two wires together with a paper clip or something. If the bike starts clean the connection, and if that doesn;t work replace the clutch safety switch.

Also, check the side stand safety switch. Slam it up with pretty good force and try to start the bike, and if it starts clean the switch and make sure the mouting bolts are tight. If the bike will start in neutral but not in gear, then jump the wires on the side stand safety switch. If that cures the problem, clean the connections or replace the switch as needed.

If the other two safety switches are good, the problem might be the neutral safety switch. Bypass it as above, clean or replace as needed.

That should cover it...if none of those things work, you may have a wiring issue with the starter, or in the ignition switch, or some other less common problem. Let me know and we'll dive into those things...
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

I took the All Bran Challenge
    My Bike(s)
    C50SE
    DrBob
    You are a good man to have around.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    Why thank you! After nearly 200,000 miles on I2 ntruder 800s and and one1400 over the last 10 years, I think I've run into just about every quirk they have!
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

Ads