Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

Clutch slipping on 1400 Intruder

I have a 99 1400 Intruder and the clutch has suddenly started slipping. What is up with that? How big a deal is the repair? Just clutch plates? How much. Only 27,000 miles.............doesn't seem right.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    Clutch life is hard to predict, as so much depends on your riding style, and the riding style of any previous owner.
    Start checking the easy things first: when was the last time you changed the clutch fluid for the hydraulic clutch? If it has been more than 7500 miles or two years then change it. I was having all kinds of clutch problems but new fluid cured them all.
    Also, have you recently changed the oil? Is it over full? Did you switch to synthetic, or use a different brand / viscosity than usual, or add some sort of oil additive? Wet clutches are very sensitive to oil, and I have seen people dump in automotive synthetic oil, switch to 20W-50, or put in an additive and cause their clutch to suddenly slip like crazy, but then when they drain the oil and swap back to what they were using before, everything is fine.
    OK, if the fliud is OK, the oil level is OK, and the oil is the same as always, think about shimming the clutch. Remove the side cover and take the clutch bolts out one at a time, and put a well-lubricated (with white lithium grease) washer behind them. You will need 8 washers, 1.5 - 1.8mm thick, 15mm OD, and drill the inside hole to 9mm. Do NOT use brake line washers or crush washers; look for stainless or hardened.
    That will generally do away with slipping for about $8 and two-three hours of your time. Eventually you will need a new clutch, and the parts will set you back $200-$250, plus another $200-$250 for labor if you don't do it yourself.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

Suzuki clutch problems.

Supposedly the clutch fluid was changed several months ago. I just changed the oil, but I am using the same Suzuki oil and filter the first owner used. The dealer said that isn't too bed for mileage on a 1400, so I ordered fiber, and steel clutch plates and springs. I'll probably do the work myself. Any special problems I might look for in doing this?

Ads