Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    2004 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan

Lookin for more top end

I have a quick question for anyone that can help. Last year I added another tooth to the front sprocket of my bike expecting to get more top end. Instead for addin more top end it dropped about 8 mph. I talked to a service department of a bike shop today and they told me that I may need to drop a tooth instead of addin a tooth. I was just wondering if that could possible work or was this guy pullin my leg tryin to make another sale. It's not like this is an expensive part but don't want to waste money. Any advise would be helpful. The original sprocket had sixteen teeth and the one that I have on it now has seventeen. Thanks in advance for any help that you may be able to provide me with.

Thanks for the advise guys. My bike is, don't laugh, a 2004 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan. The original sprockets sizes are 16 tooth front and 42 tooth back. With the original front sprocket it topped out at 102 mph. With a 17 tooth front sprocket it tops out at 94 mph. The ultimate goal is to gain a little more gas mileage. With the 17 tooth front sprocket it dropped my mileage by a couple of mpg.
    Last edited by tenndeerhunter; 03-08-2007 at 10:49 PM.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    No, your math should be correct. Loose a tooth on front and the "top speed" should go up.

However, let's just suppose for a moment, the company who built the bike actually did research and possibly, just possibly, came up with the best ratio for top speed out of the box. You know, this crazy nonsense is bound to happen, eventually.

You need to add in a couple of details.
    1) the bike you have
    2) the front cog and rear cog (originally)
    3) the new front cog ( didn't change the rear cog so the point would be mute.)
    4) what did you want to achieve
    5) what were you willing to spend?

These things may help, just a bit.

oh, Welcome aboard.

Top Gear ! Full Throttle!
    My Bike(s)
    2010 Hayabusa... a black one... the fastest colour
    I reckon you need to drop by one tooth too.

The simple maths are: large to small = faster acceleration but lower top end...less torque.

Small to large = slower acceleration but higher top speed...more torque.

You will eventualy get to a point where the engine cannot turn the back wheel because the gear is too tall so manufacturers set up the final ratio to give the best all round performance for what your model is...ie sports, tourer etc...

Hope this helps and welcome aboard don't be a stranger!

Regards

Steve
    Last edited by Aussie Steve; 03-08-2007 at 05:10 PM.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Please take the time to fill out your profile. As omegajim said, we need more information. You have to give a little to get a lot here.

I also suspect that you've exceeded the power limitations of the bike.
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

My Bike(s)
    he just hasn't found nitrous. Yet.

My Bike(s)
    2004 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan
    Another quick question that I have is this the same motor that they put on the Ninja's. That is what the sale's rep. told me when I bought the bike. The reason that this is important is they get alot better gas mileage than I do and I could find the sprocket sizes for the ninja and replace mine with those sizes.

Top Gear ! Full Throttle!
    My Bike(s)
    2010 Hayabusa... a black one... the fastest colour
    I didn't think they made a 500 Ninja but I could be wrong I don't know much about Kwakas. My brother loves them...especialy the repulsive green colour they use...OOPS hope I havn't started a war of the marque's

Steve
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    They've been making a 500 Ninja for at least 20 years. It may well be the same motor as the EX500, but chances are the tranny and the rest of the driveline are different. The simple fact is that your bike is heavier and less aerodynamic, and as such won't have the top end of the Ninja. I can't fathom why you'd want to top out a cruiser anyway.
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    KLR 650

I agree with rowdy

You just ran out of power.But check if your back sprockrt is stock,remember,One on front eq. 2-3 on back.If some one has dropped a couple of teeth in back ,you added 1 in front your geared way to high.ron

My Bike(s)
    It may have the "same engine" as a base crotch rocket, but it won't be 'tuned' the same way. A bit less power as you are finding out.

This is not entirely bad, as you are here to write into us about your bike not being fast enough.

If you seriously want to go faster, get sumpin' else. There's lots out there.

drive far, drive safe.

Ads