Motorcycle Forum banner

Cam chain tensioner problem on a 1980 Suzuki 550L

8K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  racingjewels 
#1 ·
Hi Everybody,
I'm new to the group and have a problem with my 1980 Suzuki 550L
that was given to me by a relative.
It started as a starter motor problem... I asked a friend if he could look at it which he did. He fixed the starter. In the process, he removed the
Cam chain tensioner( not knowing what it was)as it was in the way.
He then started bumped the starter motor a few times without having the Tensioner in place. The motor locked up .
Later, I found that it was locked up due to the chain bunching up somewhere in the bottom. I then Attempted to put the chain tensioner back in and it did not take up the slack. Maybe it needs to be put back in
in a certain way/ timing position. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks for any input.
Dan

#2 ·
Youre screwed, auctually your buddy screwed you. If I were you, I'd pull the valve cover off and made sure the timing didint get messed up. I'd be afraid that the timing chain skipped a few teeth and now the valves are resting on the pistons. You should consider yourself lucky if none of those are bent.

#3 ·
550L chain tensioner problem

Yes, I did pull the valve cover off , also removed the plugs and with a light , looked at the top of all the pistons. Did not see any marks or damage. So long as the chain does not bind up, the motor turns without a problem using a spanner/wrench.
It is very possible the chain may have skipped a tooth or 2 .
Perhaps what may work is to undo the chain at the top ( while keeping tension on it) , then make sure timing mark is in place and that the cams are in the correct location . then, re attach the chain , put the tensioner in place and test it.
( I haven't touched a motor in 30 + years so I'm very rusty on what is possible. The last bike I worked on was a 1955 triumph speedtwin 500
in 1972)
I bought a Haynes Manual for the GS550 and 750 ... unfortunately all
the pics are of the 750 which is slightly different.

I'm not sure if My idea will work.
Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.