Motorcycle Forum banner

Need help with v star 1100

14K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  hueyhoolihan 
#1 ·
Hi I have a V-Star 1100 and I am having some issues with it. When I am cruising and I pull the clutch in to shift, the rpms don't come down, it is revving way too high. I have been having to let the clutch out slow to bring the rpms down to normal. This even happens when I down shift all the way to 1st. When I am at a red light my bike sounds like as if I have the throttle wide open. After about 5 seconds or so it goes down to normal.

The throttle is not sticky at all. Any ideas? Is there a nut that could be too tight? Could there be a vaccum leak? Anyone have this happen to them?

#2 ·
Have you checked the routing of your throttle cables. This sounds to be the obvious choice. Does it do it when you blip the throttle when standing still? ie when you first start up in the morning etc?

I am not sure on the leaking vacuum situation...by my understanding if they leak you get less fuel so the problems tend to be things like poor acceleration and stuttering. Your choke cable/linkage is working OK?

If the problem is definitly only when rolling make a note of where the throttle is when the problem occures, use white out, and then remove the tank and replicate the throttle position. My bet is you have a certain throttle position where either the cables have a kink or the linkage is binding. With the tank off you should be able to get a clearer picture of where the problem is.

Hope this works

Steve

#3 ·
Well it idles high even when I am shifting up or down In between each shift it sounds like I have the throttle on, but I don't. I found out that the guy who had it before me got it in 2003 and never really rode it. He barely put over 1300 miles on it and it sat a lot of the time. So I think it might be buildup in the carb.

#4 ·
It idles high, but wasn't driven much. This seems a bit contradictory, but let me take an educated guess.

Does the idle change at a stop by turning the handlebars? If this happens, your throttle cable is too taught.

Leading indicators after that, bad throttle return spring, or the previous owner upped the idle (some kind of adjustment on the carb housing) or just possibly, the carb cable is not properly seated into the flange. I think i have run into all of these at one time or 'nother.

good luck.

#5 ·
I would say its highly likely that stiffness in the cables/linkages and internals of the carbs is the problem given that the original owner barely used the bike.

Problem with jap bikes is they don't like to stand for any length of time. Try some carb cleaner, (if you havn't already) and then remove and clean the throttle cables. Watch out for inner liners if you want to lubricate the cables. Some cables I've come across have a liner of nylon wrapped around the inner cable and oiling these stuffs them up!

Good luck!

Steve

#6 ·
hi,

new to this forum... but thought i might be of assistance.

i recently had EXACTLY this same problem..

took it to dealer and they eventually found the problem.

it turns out that the previous owner had installed new jets (too large) and other mismatched carburator parts. dealer service department reinstalled stock jets and rebuilt carbs. problem fixed.

huey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.