Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pipe coloring

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    '05 Yahama V-Star

Pipe coloring

Could someone please refresh my memory on reading pipe colors?? What I mean is Blue coloration means?? Yellow/Gold coloration means???? I've noticed some yellowing around the front cylinder exhaust for about 5 " or so after it comes out of the head.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    Exhaust pipes change color with heat, usually starting as a gold color then turning darker and darker, from blue to black. If your mixture is off (too lean make the bike run hot, too rich continues combustion into the pipe, both cause the pipes to overheat) it will accelertate the process. Also, if an accessory or body part blocks air flow to a spot on the pipe, it will also accelerate the process. Any dirt, grease, or handprints on the pipes will also accelerate the process. Lower-quality aftermarket and single-wall pipes will change color more quickly- all you can do is hide the discoloration with heat shields.
    There is really nothing you can do to keep the chrome from turning except never start the bike. But keeping the pipes clean, making sure they have proper airflow, and making sure the mixture is correct will minimize the discoloration. A good product to remove it is "Blue Job", which requires a lot of elbow grease but does remove the discoloration.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    '05 Yahama V-Star
    whew...thanks I was thinking something was going wrong. When I bought the bike it only had 2300 miles on it and now has 4700 in approx. 3 months. Bike runs fine with no other problems, so I will chalk it up to being ridden and a normal part of the process. Thanks for the info.

Ride Safe..

Ads