Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    1983 Suzuki GS650GL

'83 GS650 Rejet size?

I removed my airbox and installed a set of these pod filters.

I am going to need to rejet the carbs a couple of sizes. Does anyone know what size jets I should upgrade to, or at least what the stock ones are so I have a basis to start from?

Thanks, Mike

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Handlebar Consultant
    My Bike(s)
    86 GSXR750G, 93 GSX1100G, 89 YSR50
    I haven't worked on that bike, but I do know that it has "constant velocity" {CV}
    carbs. With those "pods" you really really need a specific jet kit. That bike being as old as it is, will be tricky. I'd give Dynojet or Factory an e-mail. Maybe even check oldbikebarn.com. It won't be easy finding a kit, but if you do, it will be worth it.

I'm trying to hunt down the same info. Dynojet makes a kit but it's over $100 and that seems ridiculous for some brass. Oldbikebarn says a 25% increase in jet size. If you get any hard numbers on jet sizes let me know.

my stock numbers are 110/115 main (110 in carbs 115 w/ rebuild kit) 40(idle jet) 160(air jet). I don't know which jets need to be changed for the filter switch but I can tell you that it's probably the main jet. I got mine running and idling fine, but had no power and wouldn't rev past ~5k.

Ok...I jumped up to a 140 main jet and a 150 air jet (may be what's is stock). This should get you close. Will need to adjust the mixture screws from there.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    2010 Hayabusa... a black one... the fastest colour
    Your main jet controls mixture from around 3/4 to full throttle. Any bogging down indicates a main jet that is too large conversley any hesitation during snap acceleration indicates a main jet that is too small. Once the main is OK then needle position will need to be set to give smooth acceleration from 1/8 to 3/4 throttle. Pilots control idle to 1/8. An idle that momentarily hangs after reving idicates too lean and one that drops after reving indicates one that is too rich.

Before any of the above is done set the floats to spec or you will get nowhere.

Good luck
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Ads