Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    My Bike(s)
    '06 Ninja ex250

Thumbs down Dead Battery on Ninja 250? Battery Charger Suggestions?

Hey -

So I just bought an 06 Ninja ex250 (yellow, hehe) last week - I've fired it up twice and rode around my neighborhood... stalling a miserable amount

The bike was nice and started after all of those stalls, until..

today I wanted to give it a go again! The bike started (with choke ) until I stalled, lurched forward, then tipped over - after this the bike wouldn't start unless I revved it in Neutral. Hooray! It started . . . until I stalled again.

I'm assuming I just killed the battery, but I'm not sure if I'm correct - I waited about 30 minutes and tried again with success ... Choke was active and it was heating up, so I zipped up my jacket and put my gloves on - in that amount of time the bike lost RPM and died.

Should I be investing in a battery charger? What is one you guys use and like? Not only that but, is this the problem? Did I kill the battery completely or do I just need a charger and to let it chill for a bit?

HOW DO I NOT STALL If I could just get like 2 chances to stall that'd be fine, but the bike was angry and wouldn't even let me get that All I've driven before are automatic cars and scooters AAGH

Getting into bikes is really hard without a buddy/teacher
    Last edited by NinjaN00b; 12-17-2007 at 06:42 PM.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaN00b View Post
    Getting into bikes is really hard without a buddy/teacher
    Hey, if your car wasn't running right, would you try to fix it yourself?
    If not, then why do you think you should be trying to fix your BIKE yourself?

Your description of the problem is confusing. If you can't even describe the problem clearly, it is not likely that you can fix it either.

Yes, you probably should have a charger. Most any brand 4 amp or less will do for a bike............but I don't think the battery has anything to do with your current problem. If the battery was bad, the bike wouldn't start.......or even turn over probably.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Forensic Bug Splatter Analyst
    My Bike(s)
    05 Boulevard C50 LE, 06 S40 (wife's bike)
    On the mechanical side I agree with ER, however it seems that the most beneficial route for you take is to sign yourself up for an MSF course. They will teach you the basics of operating a motorcycle, i.e. how not to stall. Even a 250 is deadly in the hands of an untrained person.

BTW,

Third gear and cruising
    My Bike(s)
    2005 GZ250 1973 "heavyoldandslow" GT750
    I hate to ask this, is there gas in the tank?
    I only ride 'em. I don't know what makes 'em work.
    Oddball: Donald Sutherland, Kelly's Heroes 1970

My Bike(s)
    '06 Ninja ex250
    I think it's the battery because the more I bug the bike in one sitting the worse the problem becomes, and yes I'd try to fix my car myself first too :p

I'm already signed up for MSF! It's in late February. I'm not going on the freeway until I'm done with the course. Yes I have my license, from driving scooters. I realize MSF is great and I really don't want to hijack this thread, but why is it that a lot of riders seem to think that riding cannot be taught any other way? How is it that many people who go to MSF can already ride but are taking it as a refresher? Not all of them had someone hold their hand. I have a few bike friends for good enough advice on AIM, but none to chill out with me on my culdesac and tell me that I'm releasing the clutch too fast, or not gassing enough (the problem is a combination of the 2 actually, I'm too easy on the throttle)

If I wasn't interested in fixing my own bike and at least knowledgeable enough I wouldn't be posting here, because I wouldn't give a "hoot", though forgive me for becoming frustrated, you guys must deal with idiots on a reg. basis - The bike's last owner didn't even check tire pressure once in 6k miles (YES, I've already had a check up and front tire change ((the back tire was new))done since I bought the thing). If I just let someone else do it every time there's a problem how am I ever going to learn? A 250 is probably the perfect bike to get into fixing myself. All I do on the internet is read about motorcycles, for multiple hours a week.

And yes, there's gas in the tank

ANYWAYS: It's simple: I tipped it, I stalled it, it doesn't start unless I let it sit for ~30 minutes before messing with it or stalling. That's why I think it's the battery. My last car had nothing BUT battery/alternator issues so I can spot one pretty quick. I need to actually get the thing GOING so the battery can re charge itself and this won't happen. That's my self diagnosis, I was just wondering if anyone agreed!

I once tipped a scooter trying to push it over one of those emergency service curbs - it wouldn't start for a few minutes after I did. What exactly don't bikes like about being on their sides? Even for a second without a hard impact at all (slow mo, rather) and like 20 seconds on its side, it was so upset

So I can go to the bike shop near here and get any brand 4 amp or less? I mean, I'll ask the guy there, I can just tell they jerk people around sometimes to get them to spend more money, I hate that, so I try to walk in there as informed as possible.

How much of a beating can one ninja clutch take? Results soon...

My Bike(s)
    I think it's the battery because the more I bug the bike in one sitting the worse the problem becomes,
    Here's part of the problem: What does "bug the bike" mean?

"I realize MSF is great and I really don't want to hijack this thread, but why is it that a lot of riders seem to think that riding cannot be taught any other way?"
    You mis-understand. A formal course (MSF) is by far the BEST way to (start) learning. It certainly is not the only way but is the only GOOD way......especially since almost nobody learns to drive a stick shift car anymore.

So I can go to the bike shop near here and get any brand 4 amp or less? I mean, I'll ask the guy there, I can just tell they jerk people around sometimes to get them to spend more money, I hate that, so I try to walk in there as informed as possible.
    Vehicle batteries are (for the most part) all the same, just different sizes. Same thing applies for battery chargers. You do NOT need to go to a bike shop. Any auto supply store or big box retailer (Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes) or any hardware store probably has small chargers. They should be priced around $20. It will be good for you to have one on hand.

It will also be good for you to charge your battery for 5 hours or more and see if it has any impact on your problem or not. I still suspect it will not. If your battery has removable caps, check the acid level; add water as needed. (BE careful).

Forensic Bug Splatter Analyst
    My Bike(s)
    05 Boulevard C50 LE, 06 S40 (wife's bike)
    Battery tenders are great and very inexpensive.

As for the MSF course, it is much better to be taught by a trained and licensed instructor, than to be trained by a buddy who may teach you bad habits. It's not the only way to learn how to ride, but it's better than the alternative.

Handlebar Consultant
    My Bike(s)
    2002 ACE
    I'm assuming I just killed the battery, but I'm not sure if I'm correct - I waited about 30 minutes and tried again with success ... Choke was active and it was heating up, so I zipped up my jacket and put my gloves on - in that amount of time the bike lost RPM and died.
    (
    Is it turning over at all? When it is running is the light dim? To me it sounds more like you dislodged some crud in your tank after the tip over. That would make it hard to start and not run correctly.
    There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2012 Yamaha Stryker 1300
    From your comments, that you leave the bike for 30 minutes and it would start later, i would say that you are flooding the carb. if the it is a battery issue, the battery would not self charge in 30 min.

my bike has a carb. and it took me some time and practice not to flood it.

take your time.

regards,

smikail
    Money come and go, Friends stay forever.

My Bike(s)
    2003 Ninja 250
    Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

I am having a similar issue with a used 2003 250 I just bought. I was riding it to work and half way there at a stop sign the engine RPMs just slowed dropped to until the bike stalled. It started right back up the first time but then continued to stall at idle every time I stopped unless I kept on a throttle a little to keep the RPMs from dropping to 0. It kept getting harder and harder to start with each stall (probably stalled at idle 5-6 times).

The battery eventually ran out of juice and I had to bump start it to get it going then. I was able to ride it home and it seemed ok, but after sitting for about a week it is having trouble starting again.

Any help/insight would be MUCH appreciated!

P.S. I just finished the MSF course today. VERY FUN and well worth the time and money! I felt like the riding coaches gave me a lot of good personal tips that will help me ride a lot better/safer and keep from forming bad habits.

M-J Member of the Month!!
    My Bike(s)
    2006 GSXR750
    Welcome to the Forum, AJ.

The idle on your bike may not be high enough. It is easy enough to adjust. Does it seem to run ok otherwise? It could be the carburetors need cleaned. I am not a mechanic, but maybe some one will be along that can offer more help.

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davecm203 View Post
    The idle on your bike may not be high enough.
    Yes, check the basics first!
    Also be sure you have enough gas; don't assume anything.
    Some carb cleaner might help.

Probably not a factor in the problem but if the battery looks like it is more than 2 years old, you might consider replacing it too.......now that it has been drained completely down.

My Bike(s)
    1980 Suzuki GS850L
    My buddy has a 250 and we have a heck of a time keeping a consistant idle on that thing. It is really touchy.itss either to high or to low. there is no in between!

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saamkl View Post
    My buddy has a 250 and we have a heck of a time keeping a consistant idle on that thing. It is really touchy.itss either to high or to low. there is no in between!
    Time to run some carb. cleaner through with the gas and a new plug if it hasn't had one lately.

If it is a 2-cycle, it might be time for a top-end rebuild....as in new reeds.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1981 Suzuki GS 250 T
    Hopefully you didn't spill the battery when you tipped it over. How's the water level if it's a maintenance battery?
    It is known that there is an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the product of a deranged imagination.
    -Douglas Adams

Ads