Motorcycle Forum banner

admittedly simple question

Tags
oil change
1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  tricker 
#1 ·
I recently got a 2007 bmw g650 Xcountry, and was surprised to see the owners manual gave no instruction on changing the oil, yourself. I guess they assume all owners should pay a bmw dealer to do it :^(

So I was curious if any here had seen any online info, for that. And yes I know I could 'try' on my own given intuition, but let's just say that's not my nature. Wondering if there is actual (fairly) detailed instruction, somewhere

#5 · (Edited)
We don't have many BMW riders here, so you may want to consult a BMW-specific forum.

I would venture a guess that there is a drain plug on the bottom of the engine somewhere. There should also be a regular-looking oil filter mounted somewhere on the engine, most likely on either the side or the bottom.

Just like with a car, you purchase some oil (I'd search in the owner's manual or online for the quantity/recommended type), purchase a filter (you may have to go to the dealer, or NAPA may have something), remove the drain plug, drain the oil, remove the filter, put the new filter on, replace the drain plug, and fill teh crankcase to the desired level on the dipstick.

#7 ·
My manual on the Kawasaki had no info on changing the oil either, but recommended the dealer do it. All mine had was how to check it. Naturally I did not heed their advice, and did it myself. Easiest job on any bike I have owned. On the other hand, the V-star has about 6 pages of instructions, lol.
But changing oil /filter on it is a 12 pack job. It's a total PITA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.