Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    yamaha vstar 1100 custom

v star 1100 starter problems

hi everyone i'm new to the forum thing. i have a vstar 1100 custom. i have a starting problem, some times my bike will start fine other times it starts very hard,some times it shuts down fine other times it shuts down with a hard clunk. some one told me it sounds like the starter clutch or the bendix. anyone have any thouts or ideas

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by caiken View Post
    hi everyone i'm new to the forum thing. i have a vstar 1100 custom. i have a starting problem, some times my bike will start fine other times it starts very hard,some times it shuts down fine other times it shuts down with a hard clunk. some one told me it sounds like the starter clutch or the bendix. anyone have any thouts or ideas
    What year?
    Explain a bit "starts very hard", please.
    Does that mean that it turns over very slowly OR that it turns over at a good speed but won't fire.
    The occasional clunk on shut-down is probably normal.

Unless you can hear the starter whine unusually fast or it makes an unusual grinding noise, it probably is NOT the clutch/bendix.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2004 Wide Glide
    Per the service manual on starting failure/hard starting, you have a few things you can check out: Fuel system, Electrical system, carb, switch/wiring, and compression system.
    Fuel system: Fuel tank - empty, clogged fuel filter, clogged fuel strainer, clogged fuel tank drain hose, clogged roll-over valve, clogged roll-over valve breather hose, deteriorated or contaminated fuel.
    Fuel %%%% - clogged fuel hose
    Electrical system: Spark plug - improper gap, worn electrodes, wire between terminals severed, improper heat range, faulty plug cap.
    Ignition coil - broken or shorted primary/secondary, faulty plug lead, broken body.
    Fuel transistor system - faulty ignitor unit, faulty pick up coil
    Carb: clogged pilot jet/pilot air passage, deformed float, worn needle valve, improperly sealed valve/adjusted fuel level/set pilot jet, clogged starter jet, improperly adjusted starter cable.
    Air filter: clogged
    Fuel pump: faulty fuel pump, faulty relay unit (fuel pump relay).
    Switch/wiring: faulty main switch/engine stop switch/neutral switch/start switch/sidestand switch/clutch switch, broken or shorted wiring.
    Starter motor: faulty starter motor/starter relay/relay unit (starting circuit cut-off relay)/starter clutch.
    Compression system: Cyclinder and cylinder head - loose spark plug, loose cylinder head or cylinder, faulty cylinder head gasket, improperly sealed valve, improper valve-to-valve seat contact/valve timing, faulty valve spring
    Piston and piston ring - improperly installed piston ring, bad ring.
    Crankcase and crankshaft - improperly seated crankcase, seized crankshaft.

Lots of info here, I know. But perhaps you can narrow it down a little with this list.

My Bike(s)
    2004 1100 vstar classic anniversary addition

fuel pump not shutting off

can anyone help with?

My Bike(s)
    2003 Yamaha 1100 Vstar

starter clutch damage

I recently replaced the starter clutch in my 2003 Vstar 1100. From the time I bought it new (2003) there was be an audible clunk when I turned it off. Other threads in the forum indicate that you should never open the throttle when starting; otherwise it will cause kickback which will damage your starter clutch. Also low octane few is said to be a contributing factor. Hope this helps.

I have the same bike 2003 V-Star 1100 Custom, and it is doing exactly what caiken above was describing. About 50% of the time the starter would not properly engage. About 80% of the time I got an audible clunk when the motor was turned off.
    So question to scubasaint : did you have similar symptoms before you replaced the starter clutch?

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by ejennings_98 View Post
    So question to scubasaint : did you have similar symptoms before you replaced the starter clutch?
    Good luck with that. His last post was about 8 months ago.
    You might want to start a new thread.......unless someone else chimes in.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha v-star 1100

v star starter clutch

I have a 2006 V star and it has been knocking when I tried to star it. I just took it in and the starter clutch is shot. $925 to replace it. I am really disappointed as this bike is only 3 years old. Bottom line Yamaha has a problem with their 1100 starter and starter clutches. Based on my search of the web it appears that Yamaha knows about the problem and will not step up to the plate and fix it. Last Yamaha for me.

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha v-star 1100

v star starter clutch

Quote Originally Posted by ejennings_98 View Post
    I have the same bike 2003 V-Star 1100 Custom, and it is doing exactly what caiken above was describing. About 50% of the time the starter would not properly engage. About 80% of the time I got an audible clunk when the motor was turned off.
    My problem with my 2006 was exactly the same. Audible clunking when I started it and sometimes audible clunk when turned off. Started in the beginning and got progressively worse.

My Bike(s)
    2007 yamaha vstar
    Ya there is a real problem with the starter clutch on the 1100's.I am just about to replace mine again for the 3 time at about 500 bucks a shot. If the starter turn but the engine doesnt engage,then it is the stater clutch.I have less then 26,000 on my bike and take it in for service just as the manuel says.but still have a lemon by owning the 1100.I have called yamaha corporation many time and I still get the oh to bad but we arent going to do anything about it.I ordered a venture just befor the starter clutch went out again.I canceled my order and am looking at a really nice harley.When this yamaha is gone ,it will be the last one ever for me.

Starter Spins but no crank

Hey Folks Just want to verify before tearing into my Bike. I have a 2005 V-Star 1100 Classic. I went to start it the other day it was having a hard time wanting to start then all of a sudden I have no cranking but the starter is spinning. I took the starter off and cleaned it up and verified it did spin by energizing it on the bench. What to do you think? the Starter Clutch? The Bike will pop start as that is how I have been getting back and forth to work the last couple of days.

Ads