Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha v-star 1100 custom

Vstar 1100 no fuel to front cylinder.

My bike started to run on only the back cylinder last week while I was out for a ride. I have good compression on both cylinders. I have good spark on both cylinders. Pulled the carbs and had blown out and check for any dirt or anything, nothing was found in them. This problem happened once last year when i took it out of storage. It cleared on it own. I thought it was bad gas. Are there any known problems that I dont know or am I missing something? It is a 2006 with 2300 miles.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by charmack View Post
    Pulled the carbs and had blown out and check for any dirt or anything, nothing was found in them. This problem happened once last year when i took it out of storage.
    Who did the "pulling" and who did the "checking" ??

The critical passages are too tiny to "gauge by eye".

You should have run some carb cleaner through it when you first noticed the problem. It might be too late now for that "easy" fix.

When they were OFF, did you soak them in cleaner?

Is the one cylinder completely dead (cold pipe) or just partly dead (very warm pipe but not HOT)? If it's completely dead, you might have a bad plug (you didn't mention changing the plugs) or a float sticking closed.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Top Gear ! Full Throttle!
    My Bike(s)
    2010 Hayabusa... a black one... the fastest colour
    Itermittent electrical is also a suspect... caps, cables, front coil? double ended single coil??? in that order. Dampness can also cause huge leap in resistance...so check for any, and or corrosion in said area's
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

My Bike(s)
    I changed plugs first before anything else was done. Checked and had great spark on both plugs. I pulled the carbs and had a bike mech check and clean them. I'm not sure what he did totally. He informed me that they were clean and setup right. I put everything back together again and the bike is running again. The thing is now when i rev the engine in netural it "bogs down" or sounds like it has a rev limiter on it. I talked to the dealer and he told me that there is not a rev limiter on it. It did this before I had the problem with the cylinder problem.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by charmack View Post
    I put everything back together again and the bike is running again. The thing is now when i rev the engine in netural it "bogs down" or sounds like it has a rev limiter on it. I talked to the dealer and he told me that there is not a rev limiter on it. It did this before I had the problem with the cylinder problem.
    No disrespect intended but.....
    I do wish we could get the whole story in the FIRST message.........
    (or maybe your first message was while it was still apart ???)

Sounds to me like it is time for some "good" carb cleaner, like Gumout or Berryman's B12 for a couple of tankfuls.

At what RPM does it "bog down" ? If it's very high, then you probably shouldn't do that in the first place AND it probably doesn't indicate a problem AND it probably DOES have something in the design that limits the max. revs.

It it runs OK when ridden "normally", I'd do the cleaner thing and not worry.
    I think I'd consider some carb cleaner each spring......if nothing else shows up. I do that routinely to prevent trouble like you have seen.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    Thanks for the ideas. No disrespect taken. The bike was apart at the time I wrote the first post. I then reinstalled the carbs and wrote the second post. I was trying to just figure out every possible thing to fix it when I was informed there was nothing found wrong in the carbs. I don't have a tach so I can't see what the RPM's are exactly. I did not consider them to be in excess. I could be wrong about that. This is my first crusier. I have run all sport bikes before. I will put the carb cleaner in today when I fill the tank. Thanks again for the help.

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2004 Wide Glide
    Just a thought, but have you checked out the choke cable? Could be sticking, worn, or stretched.

Top Gear ! Full Throttle!
    My Bike(s)
    2010 Hayabusa... a black one... the fastest colour
    Despite having a good spark when the plug is out they can still sometimes break down under compression. If the offending plug comes out wet then it is almost certainly an electrical fault on a bike with such low mileage.

Good luck
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

My Bike(s)
    I pulled the plug in question and it comes out completly dry. I actually installed a new plug when It was not getting any gas to it and it came out still white like it had never fired. It was totally dry. It is running now with only the "bogging Down" problem. otherwise it runs strong. I started with the carb cleaner 2 days ago. I am also going to check the choke cable tonight. Thanks for all your help

Ads