Motorcycle Forum banner

Honda Nighthawk 700S starting problem;

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Mydlyfkryzis 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and could use some help. I have a 1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S that was running fine until recently. While on a ride I stopped for a rest and upon trying to start up the bike again there was nothing. When I pressed the start button the headlight dimmed down and there was complete silence. I jumped the selonoid and the engine turned over but would not start. I tried to jump start the bike with no luck. Sounds like it is not getting any spark. The battery is new, the coils were recently changed and I installed a new wiring harness with no luck. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what would cause this problem? Any help at all will be greatly appreciated! Thanks very much, TJ's Hawk

#2 ·
Welcome. Doesn't sound like spark is the problem, but something larger like a main battery connection or fuse.

#3 ·
Sounds like it is not getting any spark. The battery is new, the coils were recently changed and I installed a new wiring harness with no luck.
Need some more information.

First, you do know that you can actually TEST for spark, don't you ??
"Sounds like it is not getting spark.".......sounds pretty meaningless.

The battery being new means little or nothing. Is it fully charged ?? Has it been tested ?? Even new batteries can fail.

Did you do the new wiring harness before or after the starting problem?

If you can jump the solenoid and get the engine to turn over, it sounds like a low voltage condition, caused by a battery that is not charged or defective or one of the main cables is loose or defective.

My bet is that the charging system is not keeping the battery charged.

#5 ·
Yes, I did check and I'm getting no spark to the plugs. The battery has been checked and is fully charged with no problems. It is always on a trickle charge when not in use. When I mentioned it sounds like it's not getting spark I meant that when I tried to jump start it there was no pop or any signs of it firing. Did the same thing when I jumped the selonoid to turn it over. The wiring harness was installed after this problem arose to eliminate any possible shorts. I'm going to take Aussie Steves advise and check the stater relay and starter button for a short to ground. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.