Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    '82 Suzuki GS450T

The "Best" torque wrench???

Hey everyone,

Am about to buy a torque wrench for obvious reasons, but there are so many to choose from. Hopefully some of you out there have some good advise on what to buy, what to watch out for, et cetera.... What do you think? Spend a bit more for quality? Or buy cheap?

P.S. Should I even get 2 (!?) for accuracy's sake? 1 for 20-100 Ft/lbs & another for 0-20 ?
    Last edited by mdonof02; 01-26-2009 at 10:01 PM.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    You get what you pay for, so avoid a cheap one. But there is no need to go nuts and spend a couple grand on a professional quality one either. A name brand one from Craftsman or similar in the $80-120 range will be as accurate as you will need for working on your motorcycle.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Bandit, '09 Wee Strom
    Quote Originally Posted by mdonof02 View Post
    Hey everyone,

Am about to buy a torque wrench for obvious reasons, but there are so many to choose from. Hopefully some of you out there have some good advise on what to buy, what to watch out for, et cetera.... What do you think? Spend a bit more for quality? Or buy cheap?

P.S. Should I even get 2 (!?) for accuracy's sake? 1 for 20-100 Ft/lbs & another for 0-20 ?

I have two, both together cost me under $150. I found that I did need one for much lower ft/lbs.

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    I use a breaker bar, a ruler and a fish scale. Sometimes with duct tape, sometimes not.
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    05 Suzuki C90
    I have a nice snap-on clicker style and a few of the old guage styles. I find that if youre carefull they both give accurate readings. The craftsman is a good idea, if you ever think its wrong just exchange it. Save you alot over snap-on!!
    If it dont go, chrome it!!

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    Quote Originally Posted by frostbitevinnie View Post
    I have two, both together cost me under $150. I found that I did need one for much lower ft/lbs.
    Cheap inch/lbs torque wrenches are wildly inaccurate at lower readings, so spend the money and get a decent one. I bought a pretty good inch/lbs torque wrench, certified accurate to within 2 inch/lbs with lifetime recalibration and certification, for about $300. A buddy who works on aircraft has a REAL nice inch/ lbs wrench that he paid almost $3000 for, but there is nothing on a motorcycle that needs that kind of accuracy. But do not trust those dirt cheap ones in the $50 range at all.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Bandit, '09 Wee Strom
    It's a lot more accurate than my craftsman ft/lb since it does not go below 20 ft/lb. I needed 8 ft/lbs for the side generator cover and a few other bolts. I'm not building an airplane and really not willing to spend $300 for a wrench. We have calibrated torque wrenches at work so I can check it anytime against that. But then ya gotta get torque specs for alum, steel, SS.

Looks like "Snicker Boy" is at it again.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    If all you are doing it non-critical things like side covers, which have a huge margin of error anyways, then something in the $50-100 range should be fine.
    I still like to use and an inch/lbs one though, as 8 ft/lbs is in the center of the range rather than at the lower extreme like it is for a ft/lbs one. The further towards the bottom of the range of the wrench you are, the greater the error.

It's crazy how much you can spend on a torque wrench if you try. $3000 is about the most expensive I've personally used, and I can see the need if you wrench on aircraft turbines, but even friends building race motors will spend $1500 easy on a good professional quality wrench. That $300 one is good enough for my needs, and probably overkill for most things I use ot for. Funny, I was packing up the shop to move it to a new location a couple weeks ago found another torque wrench I forgot I had, a 3/8 drive Snap On still in the case that doesn't look like I ever used it. I don't even remember buying it...must have been a long time ago. I must be getting old...

My Bike(s)
    2000 Marauder
    snap-on snap-on snap-on. I haven't done much meching on bikes but i have on cars and trucks. There is no beating snap-on. The problem with the cheaper ones is they give you a false or inaccurate torque. Yes the are costly but they are worth it and they have a lifetime warranty no questions asked. So you can get one off an auction site, broken or functional, at a cheaper price.

Supporting Vendor
    I know the clicker type torque wrenchs are good, but I prefer the bar type. Especailly when I am torquing down heads on engines due to squish.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    C90T Suzuki
    Ok guys, how often would you use a tork wrinch? I'm ignorant on this subject, however do you think you would need a top notch tork wrinch? If you only used it three times a year, wouldn't a cheap one last a life time? I guess I spoke too soon, I didn't realize that they would give wrong readings.
    Last edited by C90Tbike; 02-07-2009 at 02:08 AM.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    A torque wrench should be one of the mosst commonly used tools you own. Every nut and bolt on your motorcycle has a listed torque spec, and your best bet it to follow them. I am always shocked at the number of people who cause hundreds of dollars worth of damage to their bikes, or considerable headaches from things like stripped oil drain plugs, when simply taking the 30 seconds to use a torque wrench would have prevented it.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    03 GSXR 1000, 06 Harley Sportster 1200, 08 M109R
    Torque wrenches are the devil. I bought on, set it to the propper torque, tried it on a bolt in wood first. Then used it to replace my oil pan screw. It stripped the screw. My suggestion, go to your mechanic. Talk to him a little bit, see what one he uses. Buy the same. The mechanics use those ones for a reason. (PS, i bought a craftsman for mine, great company, however I will never use their torque wrenches again.)

Snap On or Craftsman. I own and use both everyday. There are alot of good references to getting what you pay for on this thread. My 80 dollar craftsman comes out for the day to day stuff. If I'm repairing a motor or doing critical chassis work, I use the snap ons.

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    2004 GSXR 750, 2003 Kawasaki Mean Streak, 2007 Susuzki DRZ400s. 1973 Kawasaki 175 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by mdonof02 View Post
    Hey everyone,

You can get a good one over at Harbor Freight.
    2004 Gixxer 750
    2003 Mean Streak 1500
    2007 DRZ400S
    1973 F7 Enduro

Ads